IGNORED

Question - FB2 Portable?

Everyone, it is going to be a few more weeks before any information can be made public.

Depending on the scale of the project deadlines are on Fridays, at the end of the month or at the end of a quarter.

"A few more weeks" sounds like a medium-scale project = deadlines at the end of the month.

So we get to hear about this on the 1st of March or on the Fools Day 1st of April? Right? :cool:

Somehow the 1st of March sounds better.

--

Karri

Only 3 days till 1st of March. mstulir said "a few more weeks" not "a few more months" right?

[accelerating drum roll on]

Ladies and gentlemen. Atari is proud to introduce ...

I read this thread and it totally made my day (if not more), then I saw the Flashback 3 thread and it killed my dreams. Then I realized that this thread was started after that thread ended, so hopefully Atari are back on track and this thing will get the release it so sorely deserves. I bought the FB2 for a friend, and I'll definitely be getting an FB2P for myself =)

I'll also probably get an FB3, though I never had any of those things growing up.

Edited by Asaki

Ok, any updated info on when Atari is going to make a definate public announcement on the release of the FB Portable? I read the post earlier in this thread in Star Wars fashion that said, "Almost there...." I just hope it doesn't play out like that guy on Star Wars, "Negative. It didn't go in. It just impacted on the surface."

So lets hear some news already Atari! It's practically March 1st.

Oh? You didn't know, we're using the Zen Buddhist New Age Inversion calendar, we still have about another week, maybe two...

Seriously though, it'll be a little while longer before any kind of announcement - good bad or otherwise, hang tight...

Plus look at it this way, if it wasn't happening I think you'd all see my tirade on the forum, so just hang tight, things take quite a bit of time to get signed, sealed and delivered.

Curt

Ok, any updated info on when Atari is going to make a definate public announcement on the release of the FB Portable? I read the post earlier in this thread in Star Wars fashion that said, "Almost there...." I just hope it doesn't play out like that guy on Star Wars, "Negative. It didn't go in. It just impacted on the surface."

So lets hear some news already Atari! It's practically March 1st.

I just hope it doesn't play out like that guy on Star Wars, "Negative. It didn't go in. It just impacted on the surface."

Could be worse, could be the fat guy that blew up before even getting to the trench. ;)

Thanks for the update Curt! Looking forward to seeing what happens.

I just hope it doesn't play out like that guy on Star Wars, "Negative. It didn't go in. It just impacted on the surface."

Could be worse, could be the fat guy that blew up before even getting to the trench. ;)

Thanks for the update Curt! Looking forward to seeing what happens.

LOL I love watching that guy blow up. I get the same kind of guilty thrill when they squash the fat kid with the boulder in Lord of The Flies.

I was just thinking, would it be possible to add a pause feature to the FB2 hardware? I don't really know anything about adding new features to the old hardware, but I know with most handheld games, I end up pausing a lot.

I use the sleep mode on my DS a lot, too, but I figure Atari 2600 doesn't have too many games where you'd really lose much progress by turning the thing off ;)

Wow. Wow wow wow.

Sorry, I know you guys are all familiar with the details of this already, and you've no doubt had the time to work it around in your minds, get over the initial shock, and perhaps calm down about it a bit, but... Tonight is the first time that I've found this topic.

I can't not post something. And I'm sorry, because I really have nothing to add to the conversation except my total and complete shock over the idea that the Flashback 2 Portable might yet live.

You guys were in my shoes once, right? You don't mind if I just rant out of my mind about this for a bit, right?

I love my Flashback 2. I love it real good. If I could... if I could just have a portable device that could play a 100% faithful Adventure, I would be the happiest man on Earth. That's all it would take, really. It's not hard to make me happy. And yet, I've always considered such a thing to be a sort of fairy tale, something that could never come true unless I gained something approaching proficiency with a soldering iron and made it myself.

But this? This makes my highest expectations look like nothing.

I mean... A retro system that's actually a system and not just a self-contained toy? That'd be kickass enough even if Atari restricted us to binaries that we bought through them, but giving it the ability to run (theoretically) any arbitrary Atari 2600 binary?

If I had a portable game device that I could load up with my own games -- my very own programmable Game Boy -- I would, ironically enough, never leave my home, not ever again.

I remember how ecstatic I was the first time I saw something that I wrote running on my TV through a Supercharger. I can't even think what it'll be like to be able to carry that around in my pocket and show it to other people.

I'm almost afraid to get excited about this system. If I hope for too much, I might be in for a letdown. But the potential for this is massive. I could see this posing serious competition to my DS, not to mention my home consoles. I would buy it at any price.

I really hope this goes through. Good luck to everyone who's involved with it. You guys are amazing.

But really, I'll be happy just as long as it has all of the hardware switches and it plays Adventure.

If I had a portable game device that I could load up with my own games -- my very own programmable Game Boy -- I would, ironically enough, never leave my home, not ever again.
But, you could... aww, nevermind... :D You'd better get some good rechargeable batteries or a lifetime supply of working power adaptors, then. :lolblue: