IGNORED

NES High Score Club Week #10 - Tetris (Game A, Level 0)

vdub_bobby

You've defeated Mr. X, now it's time to...um, stack some blocks...in Tetris!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling! We are playing Game A, starting on Level 0 this week.

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point!

Also, if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it.

This week's competition ends next Tuesday (Nov 14) morning at approximately 9:00 am PST.

This week's standings:

272,771 nester (+10 pts)

181,000 rjchamp3 (+8 pts)

173,279 figgler (+6 pts)

107,307 MetalSlime23 (+4 pts)

105,432 Cybergoth (+2 pts)

72,302 vdub_bobby (+1 pt + 1 bonus pt for best (only) tip)

66,307 mojofltr (+1 pt)

64,538 HeckYesIDid (+1 pt)

31,717 LarcenTyler (+1 pt)

27,769 8th lutz (+1 pt)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

842,127 Harry J. Hong

620,260 Ted Sotoropolis

571,450 Mike J Hayes

550,338 Michael Sulpher

517,821 Dale Adams

513,441 Jeremy Schild

320,125 Brian P Sulpher

175,615 Scott Kimberling

145,340 Adam C. Cornelius

131,547 Ron Corcoran

128,220 Marshall Sauder

127,710 Rosemary Marra

90,670 Robert Puza

86,210 Charles Vantine

76,727 Mr. Kelly R Flewin

Overall standings:

1. rjchamp3 (54 pts)

2. figgler (48 pts)

3. vdub_bobby (34 pts)

4. mojofltr (30 pts)

4. LarcenTyler (30 pts)

6. 8th lutz (27 pts)

7. nester (19 pts)

8. gdement (15 pts)

9. Malc74 (13 pts)

9. MetalSlime23 (13 pts)

11. bust3dstr8 (11 pts)

12. Cybergoth (7 pts)

13. keilbaca (4 pts)

14. MCHufnagel (2 pts)

14. remowilliams (2 pts)

14. Kami68k (2 pts)

17. BrianC (1 pts)

Tips

Mine:

The A and B buttons rotate the pieces in different directions (A = clockwise, B = counterclockwise. Or vice versa.) If you learn to rotate both ways you will never have to rotate a piece 3 times. At the faster levels it makes a big difference.

Obvious, but go for all Tetrises (4-line combos) - they give the most points.

The classic technique is to build a solid mass of blocks, leaving room for the straight-line piece on one side or the other. The variation on this I use is to leave room for the straight piece in the middle, since that is where new pieces drop. When the pieces are falling quickly and your screen is almost filled it can be the difference between losing and getting a Tetris!

Edited by vdub_bobby

Ask and you shall receive: http://www.tendoweb.com/Manuals/NES/Tetris...Nintendo%29.pdf

(FYI, you should check www.tendoweb.com in the future, as they have a rather large number of NES manuals online.)

And here's my first score. You should try to get your snapshot as the playfield is being covered by the 'curtain' if you will. If not, then I'd suggest inputting your last name, but don't finalize it untill you've gotten your snapshot, since the cursor will show what your current score is.

post-1653-1162924159_thumb.png

My tips:

The A and B buttons rotate the pieces in different directions (A = clockwise, B = counterclockwise. Or vice versa.) If you learn to rotate both ways you will never have to rotate a piece 3 times. At the faster levels it makes a big difference.

Obvious, but go for all Tetrises (4-line combos) - they give the most points.

The classic technique is to build a solid mass of blocks, leaving room for the straight-line piece on one side or the other. The variation on this I use is to leave room for the straight piece in the middle, since that is where new pieces drop. When the pieces are falling quickly and your screen is almost filled it can be the difference between losing and getting a Tetris!

post-6060-1163006456_thumb.png

Stage 10 - 066307

post-887-1163010680_thumb.jpg

I've always been more partial to the Gameboy port of Tetris because of it's link-ability. Does anyone here play Tetrinet? I haven't played in years, but it might be fun to get a few AA users together and have some sort of tournament. :)

Tip: Take a break now and again while you are playing Tetris or you'll start seeing tetris shapes and spaces everywhere. When I was in 7th grade, I got beaten up for trying to fit an L-shape over a highschool kid's shoulder. j/k :P

There's a video of the 800k game on archive. It's pretty awesome:

http://www.archive.org/details/TETRIS_NES_800K

He starts on level 18 (hold A when you select your level) and ends with 224 lines on level 28.

I haven't watched this, but since the levels increase in increments of 10 lines, wouldn't he have ended on level 22?

18+22=30 :ponder:

huh?

So I watched parts of this and it looks like the levels start going up at 130 lines which is weird. For instance, if you start on level 6, you don't advance to level 7 until you hit 70 lines. I would think starting on level 18 that you wouldn't hit level 19 until 190 lines were earned. Of course I can't play on those levels for more than 8 seconds, so what do I know?

Edited by figgler