IGNORED

Maids + Elevators = 2600 Homebrew

vdub_bobby

It is a 2LK and only one of the scanlines updates the color. And in the 2 lines there are only 4 free cycles, so I don't think, even with only one color change per screen, that it can be handled on both lines.

You don't *have* to start with my maid sprite, you could create a wholly new one.

The black player will overlay the color player, so if the boundary is between skin and black (rather than between skin and white) then you can get a seeming-one-line change in color:

post-6060-1172766216.png

This doesn't look real great, but it illustrates: with a blank line (to hide the transition between skin-tone and white) the stretchy neck is eliminated. You could also just make the collar black for the same effect. I also make the two-line collar into a one-line collar, for no real reason. :) Well, other than I thought it looked a little better.

Edited by vdub_bobby

"This is a very rough port/translation of the A8 games Elevator Repairman and Spy's Demise; I haven't figured out an exact title yet (sound familiar? :roll:), so feel free to make suggestions!

All other comments, suggestions, etc. welcome as well!"

How about 'Mad Maids' or Maid in America!

Edited by TunnelRunner

3. Can use the fire button to go faster, at the cost of the timer speeding up

Either that, or instead of a timer have some "boost" power. If you make it all the way without using it - full score. BTW: Are you gonna randomize it some more or is it supposed to be a "pattern" game? Maybe make that two different modes or diff-switchable as well.

Greetings,

Manuel

3. Can use the fire button to go faster, at the cost of the timer speeding up

Either that, or instead of a timer have some "boost" power. If you make it all the way without using it - full score.

Actually, I think I'm going to drop the fire-button-boost idea.

BTW: Are you gonna randomize it some more or is it supposed to be a "pattern" game? Maybe make that two different modes or diff-switchable as well.

Kinda...both.

When you complete a level, one or more elevators will speed up (or, rarely, slow). The elevators are chosen randomly and the magnitude of the speed-up is also random.

However, the initial position and speeds of the elevators are fixed. So every game will start off as a "pattern game" but eventually that will change. I also may make initial elevator positions/speeds random in the Expert game setting.

Actually, I think I'm going to drop the fire-button-boost idea.

I hope not. It's kinda giving the player a means of at least trying to do something when otherwise he's just helpless. - A step towards reducing the feeling that success in the game depends more on luck than on skill :)

I like the button boost idea. I think you should get more points if you complete a floor faster, but your time decreases quicker if you use the button pressing.

Game is colorful. I like that. So, is M*A*I*D supposed to be the sequel to M*A*S*H? If this is sold I think it should come with a t-shirt like the original M*A*S*H* did.

I don't really have any name suggestions for the game.. how about Elevator Reaction? You're reacting to the fact that you might die. Speaking of death, if there was a way to add in a death animation it would be nice. Not to mention a sound to know I've died, not just start at the beginning so quickly.

Edited by yuppicide

I hope not. It's kinda giving the player a means of at least trying to do something when otherwise he's just helpless. - A step towards reducing the feeling that success in the game depends more on luck than on skill :)

I don't particularly like the boost button idea, though there should be something the player can do to influence the game.

Perhaps having the fire button speed up slightly (by a fixed amount, not a fixed percentage) all of the elevators that are moving downward at the time. Proper manipulation of the button would allow a sufficiently-skilled player to control the phasing of the elevators to allow the player to pass, but the optimal pattern of button pushing would be hard to work out (and by the time it had been worked out, it would be too late). The player would thus have to find a sub-optimal but adequate solution as quickly as possible.

Names for your game.

"Elevator Lady" (Lady. Lady. Levitate Me)

"Cleaning Woman!" (Cleaning Woman! Cleaning Woman! - you see when I was seven years old my father rand off with the cleaning..."

"Maid Up"

"You got it Maid!"

Oh, there's more where that came from. Just let me know if you need more ideas. :D

Well, I'll put the button-boost back on my list of "maybes". :)

Right now, priorities:

1. Music.

2. Animation(s)

3. Two-player mode (may be cut for lack of ROM).

4. Various bells and whistles (displaying level number, top-of-hotel graphic, SFX, fire-button-boost, etc.)

5. AVox EEPROM support (big big maybe, both ROM and RAM are very tight)

6. AVox speech support (same caveats apply)

And of course, once all the main features and gameplay are in there is the necessary polishing...

Music is about half done, I hope to have something to share by the end of the week.

Thanks for the names; none of them jump out at me as a clear choice, so keep 'em coming. :lol: Front runner right now is "Maid Up" :D