IGNORED

NES High Score Club Week #11 - Battletoads

vdub_bobby

Stop stacking blocks already! It's time to fight again - this time as the Battletoads!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling! Please - no scores achieved after a "continue" will count; only post scores from games played from the beginning.

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point!

Also, if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it. mojofltr comes through.

This week's competition ends next Tuesday (Nov 21) morning at approximately 9:00 am PST.

This week's standings:

605,950 galaxy warrior (+10 pts)

582,600 MetalSlime23 (+8 pts)

397,450 mojofltr (+6 pts + 1 bonus pt for best tip)

322,100 vdub_bobby (+4 pts)

304,150 Cybergoth (+2 pts)

255,000 rjchamp3 (+1 pt)

214,500 LarcenTyler (+1 pt)

134,750 gdement (+1 pt)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

999,999 Tom Votava

999,999 Todd Rogers

999,999 Marc J Dziezynski

999,999 Daniel C Teixeira

Apparently the score maxes at 999,999.

Overall standings:

1. rjchamp3 (62 pts)

2. figgler (54 pts)

3. vdub_bobby (36 pts)

4. mojofltr (31 pts)

5. LarcenTyler (31 pts)

6. nester (29 pts)

7. 8th lutz (28 pts)

8. MetalSlime23 (17 pts)

9. gdement (15 pts)

10. Malc74 (13 pts)

11. bust3dstr8 (11 pts)

12. Cybergoth (9 pts)

13. keilbaca (4 pts)

14. MCHufnagel (2 pts)

15. remowilliams (2 pts)

16. Kami68k (2 pts)

17. BrianC (1 pts)

18. HeckYesIDid (1 pts)

Tips

mojofltr:

On Stage 2, kill a bird and hit it repeatedly while it is falling. Eventually you'll receive an extra life for each hit.

MetalSlime23

If I pick up the stick from the leg thingy (don't know it's name), I can headbut the bottle on the first one and the stick and the bottle on the second one, worth 2000 points each. If you hit the enemies with the stick it is worth 750 points, but if you headbut them the first time (1000 points) and then run up and kick them with the big shoe before they get up (5000 points), this is worth the same amount of points you'd get without the weapon, and obviosly having the weapon makes better defense.
Edited by vdub_bobby

Stage 3 - 199050

post-887-1163526061_thumb.png

I used to be able to do the speeder-bikes with my eyes closed. Today, I'm way out of practice! :D

tip:

On Stage 2, kill a bird and hit it repeatedly while it is falling. Eventually you'll receive an extra life for each hit. (Gamepro published my tip in the 1991 Addams Family issue. If anyone has a copy that they wouldn't mind scanning, I'd be very grateful!)

Here is a scan of the manual:

battletoads.zip

Edited by mojofltr

Stupid speed-bike stage. Lost all my lives (six!) on that stage. :x

Didn't get past that yet either. There's one slalom part at the end, that starts slowly and gets faster and faster, were I always blow it.

There's some particle storm on the bottom lane, should I possibly try hitting that?

Didn't get past that yet either. There's one slalom part at the end, that starts slowly and gets faster and faster, were I always blow it.

There's some particle storm on the bottom lane, should I possibly try hitting that?

If you do it's a warp zone that skips you ahead a copuple of levels. To this day I have ONLY been able to hit this, and never actually complete the level.

There is also a warp zone on the very first stage, although I forget which stage it warps you to. (Stage 3?)

That last run on the speeder-bikes can be tough. You have to get into a groove, quickly pressing UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, etc. You want to keep it as tight as you can; If you go too far in either direction, you'll hit the obstactle ahead. Don't be surprised that you'll have to make a couple jumps after you get through.

I believe that you receive more points for killing enemies if you don't use a weapon. I prefer using a weapon, because I always get my butt kicked if I don't. :lol:

I just played again without picking up any weapons. I'm certain that I had more points than usual, but I also lost more lives along the way, eventually 'croaking' completely on Stage 4. :P

Edited by mojofltr

Videos of speedruns: 24-minute completion w/ warps 36 minutes w/o warps.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/Battletoads.html

Might pick up some tips. ;)

Also: tip for extra points on the rope level (level 2): you can keep hitting the birds (after they're dead) for lots of points. :)

Edited by vdub_bobby