IGNORED

Japanese Guy Buys 100 PS3's

8th lutz

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/14/some-dud...gonna-get-paid/

This explains where 100 of the 88,000 ps 3's sold in Japan for launch. Eiji should being getting anywhere from $1,500 to $5,000 for each system.

There needs to be a stop to this in Japan in terms of how many. In the United States, there is no way for a person to get the many ps 3 for launch unless you order them online. If you see a seller with a 100 ps 3's on ebay, you know where they came from..

Edited by 8th lutz

There also what happened during the launch was Japanese profiteers hiring Chinese to purchase PS3 hardware. This story can be found here http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/foreigners-an...side-214130.php

Yeah, that story's been mostly discredited even on Kotaku, and certainly elsewhere. People bought that dude's account hook, line and sinker originally, but it's got a lot of obvious problems that anyone who actually reads through it and thinks about it for a minute would be asking questions about (for example, how did he see all 20 of the first PS2's get sold, how did he know that all 20 of those guys were asked for interviews, how did he know that all 20 refused, and how did he know that all 20 refused because they were Chinese? And that's just for starters).

The whole account struck me as borderline racist and definitely somewhat paranoid originally, and I'm obviously not the only one, as even Kotaku has acknowledged it at this point. The guy apparently saw a few guys refuse to be interviewed and for some reason jumped to the conclusion it's because they were Chinese. Most likely they were Japanese who simply didn't want to be on TV. The "elderly, homeless Chinese" he said made up the majority of the front of the line were not really in evidence in any of his photos - I counted two older guys who may or may not have been Chinese.

He also assumed that people didn't buy any games with the system because they were reselling them - no doubt that is happening, but the tie ratio on the PS2 was originally 0.78:1 (I remember that number because of how low it was). So this is nothing new - the PS3 *is* backward compatible with about 7,800 of the PS2's 8,000 games, and it also plays Blu-Ray movies. There's no need for people to buy PS3 games yet if there's nothing they want, but they're obviously afraid they won't be able to get a PS3 over the next few months if they don't get one now.

Yep don't care, anyone foolish enough to drop $1,200-$5,000 on a system they will be able able to walk into any store in 6 months or less and pick up up for $599.99 can have at it. Nothing wrong with profiting off the foolish. This is in no way comparable to murder. LOL

Can we please stop this now? Can we all just admit that the PS3 doesn't even fucking exist yet? Who cares what a handful of rich people do to get one in advance of when they will really exist (2007) anyway? This is silly. We should all just go back to the 360 and pick up a Wii to go with it, or wait for the PS3 to actually be released in May sometime. Why ANYONE cares what happens to those initial few (that might as well be leaked prototypes, they're so rare and expensive) is beyond me.

Yep don't care, anyone foolish enough to drop $1,200-$5,000 on a system they will be able able to walk into any store in 6 months or less and pick up up for $599.99 can have at it. Nothing wrong with profiting off the foolish. This is in no way comparable to murder. LOL

we discussed this at the office today, and a lot of people think its the same as scalping a ticket. I still say no, because you are letting the market bear what it will. If I buy one, and put it on e-bay for an initial selling price of $599.99, just like I paid for it, is it scalping? I say no way.....

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's fair game. The people who wanted a PS3 and are now unable to get one should've done the same thing themselves.

I say good on the guy, if I had the money I'd do it as well. Definatley a great money making opportunity that should be jumped on!

I officially don't get it. There's a line of 40 people waiting for a PS3 at one store in this area. The store has told the people in it that there are total of 8 systems. WHAT THE FUCK ARE THE LAST 32 PEOPLE THINKING!? Pre-orders are done at every store, or they aren't taking them. The store will obviously be letting people in in an orderly fashion, as they won't let anyone kill anyone else. These last 30 or so peope are lined up, in the cold, for over a day now, in the hopes that the people in front of them all die. I understand hoping you can race the guy at 8 if you're 9, and confuse the store owner, but there's no way anyone from 10 back is getting anything. So why are they there? It's retarded.

Oh yes, at least one guy in the first 8 said he was selling his on ebay.

Edited by Atarifever

This is silly. We should all just go back to the 360 and pick up a Wii to go with it, or wait for the PS3 to actually be released in May sometime.

LOL Interesting take on it. In other words, there should be two launch dates.

Nov 17 2006 for the folks that want to pay out the ass for the PS3.

May 17 2007 for the folks that just want to go to Target and pick one up retail.

This is silly. We should all just go back to the 360 and pick up a Wii to go with it, or wait for the PS3 to actually be released in May sometime.

LOL Interesting take on it. In other words, there should be two launch dates.

Nov 17 2006 for the folks that want to pay out the ass for the PS3.

May 17 2007 for the folks that just want to go to Target and pick one up retail.

Exactly. This estimate puts it at about 200,000 PS3's for the North American launch. 200,000. That is a number so small it not only implies a limit to the number of systems available, but actually places that number somewhere up there with the number of proven Easter Bunny sightings. I think it is time to admit Sony didn't meet their 2006 deadline for launch of the PS3. To put it in perspective, Microsoft sold 326,000 360s in North America last Novemeber. A difference of at least 126,000 units less than the, very, very limited number of 360s available last year would seem to imply you are better off trying to find a magic lamp to wish for a PS3, than you are tying to find one retail. The system doesn't even exist yet. End of story.