IGNORED

Score Question for MR

MausBoy

Since you were able to center the score, which I definately appreciate, and hack it to allow an items menu; Would you happen to know how I would go about seperating the left 3 and right 3 digits by a few pixels? For the sake of having two seperate 3 digit scores. It's not something I absolutely have to do, but it'd improve the look of the game quite a bit. I appreciate any help you can give me on this, I looked over the score files and am clueless.

ps - once this game is complete, which I am 100% sure it will be within a week, I'll have accomplished my mission to make a fun, unique, purely bB game and I can move on to learning ASM. Not to abandon bB of course, but to combine the two.

Edited by MausBoy

Since you were able to center the score, which I definately appreciate, and hack it to allow an items menu; Would you happen to know how I would go about seperating the left 3 and right 3 digits by a few pixels? For the sake of having two seperate 3 digit scores. It's not something I absolutely have to do, but it'd improve the look of the game quite a bit. I appreciate any help you can give me on this, I looked over the score files and am clueless.

The 6-digit score display has player0 and player1 carefully positioned so their copies are in between each other, as follows:

P0a P1a P0b P1b P0c P1c

Unfortunately, you can't separate the left three digits from the right three digits by a few pixels when they're arranged like that. However, you could try making two sets of thinner numbers-- one set (for the left three digits) left-justified within the 8 pixels, and the other set (for the right three digits) right-justified within the 8 pixels, so that there's a slight gap between them, as follows:

|******__|******__|******__|__******|__******|__******|

That is, you'd use the first 6 pixels/bits for the number, followed by two blank pixels/bits, for the left three digits, and then for the right three digits you'd have two blank pixels/bits, followed by 6 pixels/bits for the number. That way, there'd be two blank pixels between each of the first three digits, as well as between the last three digits, but there'd be four blank pixels between the third and fourth digits.

Another option would be to move the player0 copies to the left, and move the player1 copies to the right, so they don't interleave each other, but then there would be blanks between the digits, since you can't position the copies of a player any closer together than that:

P0a___P0b___P0c____________P1a___P1b___P1c

A third option would be to space the copies further apart, but position player0 and player1 next to each other, which would give you three sets of two digits, as follows:

P0a_P1a_________P0b_P1b_________P0c_P1c

Then you could either define some special sets of digit shapes to get three digits in each pair of players, or four digits in each pair of players, as follows:

|****__**|**__****|________|________|****__**|**__****|________|________|****__**|**__****|

or

|***_***_|***_***_|________|________|***_***_|***_***_|________|________|***_***_|***_***_|

I don't know how well you're following this; I really need to create a mockup to illustrate it better, but I don't have time to do that right now. However, I can post a screen from a game I'd started tinkering on a couple of years ago, which uses two copies of the players, spaced far apart, to get two 4-digit scores:

post-7456-1163748050_thumb.jpg

Each score is only two players wide, but each digit is only half of a player, so there are four digits on each side of the screen.

Michael

I guess I should have read more about the 6 digit score before I posted. Thanks for the information and the suggestions on alternatives.

I don't know how I would use your first suggestion, I don't know how to use two sets of score graphics at the same time. I like the second one though, I don't care if there are wide gaps.

I guess I should have read more about the 6 digit score before I posted. Thanks for the information and the suggestions on alternatives.

I don't know how I would use your first suggestion, I don't know how to use two sets of score graphics at the same time. I like the second one though, I don't care if there are wide gaps.

I might be able to post some modified kernel files for the first and second suggestions later this weekend. I don't know about a modified kernel for the third suggestion, though, but who knows?

Michael