IGNORED

Have you ever bought a system on launch day?

Rhindle The Red

Have you ever bought a system on launch day?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever bought a system on launch day?

• Yes. Several times.
    • Yes. Once or twice.
    • No, but I've tried to (and failed).
    • No. I'm the patient (or uninterested) sort.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Normally I don't, and never would, but I chanced going to Best Buy an hour before opening one morning to buy my son a DS when they first arrived. I lucked out and happened to be the first in line to buy one of 8 they were getting. It was a good surprise for him on Christmas Morning.

Bought a system on launch day only once....the GBA. My dad gave me some awesome gifts plus a check for $150.00....I knew the GBA had just come out, went looking through several stores.....got to a KB Toys store, was told they were 'sold out', got depressed....ran into a manager, asked again. he said "Well we only have a few in Indigo left" Left with an indigo GBA, and Iridium3D, very good day......

My Grandmother got an Atari VCS on or near the date of its launch. She was looking for a game for my Grandfather while he was recovring for surgery (I think) and asked for an airplane board game or puzzle, and the store clerk showed her air-sea battle.

I seem to remember getting a Lynx on its first day, or at least week-end. And an Xbox and an Xbox 360 a few weeks before thier official launch dates in the US.

No. I'd wait at least a year (sometimes two) for the price to come down. This also allows for the development of improved hardware (anyone remember the Xbox's original controllers?) and games that go beyond "look how awesome this system does water!"

That said, I don't think the crazy thing about console launches these days is the people camping out for them, but the people who buy them for $1700 from resellers on eBay. :o

I had no idea the original Playstation was buggy. I got one for Christmas the first year it was out (maybe it was the second year, I forget), never had any problems with it until a year or so ago when the ball-bearing device that holds the disc in position broke. Nor did any of my friends that had original PS1s. :?

The only system I ever got on Launch Day was the GameCube. I drove over to K-Mart about 9:30am and they were sold out...I was interested in getting one but not rabid about it. I drove across the highway to Wal-Mart and they still had several and no lines. So I picked one up along with the games All-Star Baseball 2002 and Star Wars: Rogue Leader.

I think, next to that, my closest might've been the first Playstation. It came out in September of 1995. I didn't get it then but I think I bought one before the year was over.

• 3 weeks later...

Never.

The only systems I have ever purchased (or received as a gift) new from a retail store are two NES systems (1st the frontloader as a birthday present, then a toploader which I bought for myself many years later), a Jaguar, and the Flashback 2. I also bought a new-in-box Intellivision at a garage sale once, but I don't think that counts. Even my first Atari 2600, a Christmas present from my parents back in the early 80s, had been previously owed by one of my cousins.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm not entirely sure if it was launch day, but I bought my original PS1 so early that extra memory cards and controllers hadn't even shipped yet, and the only two games were Battle Arena Toshinden and Ridge Racer. Wal-Mart had JUST got the the things in.

I don't think I got my PSP on launch day, but I'm pretty sure I got it during the launch week.

I got the 32X at launch. I'm kinda bummed I didn't get Star Wars Arcade for free, and instead got $10 off coupons for a bunch of games which didn't even come out in the timeframe the coupons were good for.