IGNORED

New, Faster Server Ordered

Albert

I just ordered a new server for AtariAge, and will begin configuring it tonight (I am already logged in, exploring). The new server is significantly faster, has more memory, and more disk space. This is something we discussed doing for a while, but given that the new boards are sometimes more sluggish than the previous ones, I decided today was a good time to actually go ahead and do it.

It will probably take about a week to get everything configured and moved over (maybe much less), and then a few days for DNS to propogate to the new server. In the meantime, if the forums are a little sluggish please bear with us, knowing the situation will soon improve. :)

..Al

Wow, considering you guys don't make a dime out of this, it's just awe inspiring the lengths you go to to keep this site the hub of the worlds Atari community. We all owe you a great debt (though can I pay next Thursday... :wink: )[/i]

:?:  

Where does Atari Age get the moolah to pay for things like the new server, bandwidth, etc... ?

For that matter, do you guys (Al & Al) have other 'real' jobs to earn a living, or are you the Lords of Atari Age full-time?

Right now it's all out of pocket, between Alex and myself. It's not quite a bad as you might imagine, but over time it does add up. There was a period before we moved to a dedicated server where we were paying over $300 for the hosting. It's considerably less now, but still substantially more than you would pay for a hosting account on a shared server.

We do get some money from the Amazon affiliation, so when you buy anything through our "store", we see some proceeds. Also, the t-shirts and other items we have in the "AtariAge Gear" sectiotn also net us some token cash.

We do have 'real' jobs to earn a living. It would be wonderful if we could work on AtariAge full time while supporting ourselves, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Certainly there's enough to keep us occupied with the site if we could work on it full-time!!

..Al

I cant wait to see the new sever speeds, although I cant REALLY say ive noticed much slowness, but hey, it will only seem nicer to me once the speeds have gone even faster!

Since I had to reboot the server this morning (*cough*), the server has been running much better than it was yesterday. However, it still bogs down at times (it seems editing a message is very slow), so it'll be nice to get everthing on the new server. :)

..Al

However, it still bogs down at times (it seems editing a message is very slow),...

Have you done further investigations about the reasons?

The remembers me at the behaviour of old, misconfigured (=misprogrammed) DBASE databases, where deleting a record caused a complete packing and reindexing of the whole table.

However, it still bogs down at times (it seems editing a message is very slow),...

Have you done further investigations about the reasons?

The remembers me at the behaviour of old, misconfigured (=misprogrammed) DBASE databases, where deleting a record caused a complete packing and reindexing of the whole table.

This forum software was very heavily tested on several forums for many months before it was released. I have confidence that it's not a problem with the queries being performed, as much as they are complex queries that take a lot of processing to complete. Why this seems to be affecting our server as much as it does, I don't know. I have already tweaked the database server's configuration a bit, which has certainly helped immensely over the first 24 hours when the server went online.

At this point I think the only way to further eek performance is to actually put the site on faster hardware. The current site is running on relatively slow hardware, compared to what you can buy these days. The new server is a heck of a lot faster, in terms of the CPU, hard drive, and has twice as much memory. If problems persist after we make the move to the new server, then something is *definitely* wrong on our end.

Considering how many people seem to be using the forums at any given time, I'm pleased the current server is holding up as well as it is. :)

..Al

We all need to continue to congratulate Albert and Alex for this site.

(and as far as the boards go all who post)

It's not easy or cheap to keep something like this going.

My site http://www.elmoandfriends.com

is in need of some serious updateing (although I did a little) last week.

It's very difficult to work full time or more and still have time for something like this.

My site as well as AtariAge I'm sure is a labor of love.

After leaving my job and deciding to take over the family business a little more than a month ago I've found I have evne less time to spend here and other places (it's worth it in the long run).

So just another THANKS :) to albert and alex

Yeah, without this site it would've taken me about a month just to understand the very basics of programming. Thanks! It is a fun hobby to collect, and I might have a shot at figuring out programming for the 6502!

Having a full time job and maintaining this site, it is so incredible that you can do that!

• 4 weeks later...