IGNORED

PS3 Web Browser Has Some Issues

MegaManFan

Please bear in mind as you're reading this I did attempt to "update" the system first, only to be told that my PS3 shipped with the latest update and none was required, so this is what you're going to get if you surf the web.

Plusses:

* YouTube videos seem to work (as long as they are embedded in page).

* You can download MP3's and +some+ video files direct to the hard drive (more in a sec).

* Most website forums (such as this one) also seem to work.

* Keyword completion for the remote controller, or you can plug in a USB keyboard.

Minuses:

* RSS feeds don't work, you keep getting "storage device" messages. This is odd since they work on PSP.

* Flash/Shockwave doesn't seem to work - "file type not supported" even though once again they work on PSP.

* Sony seems to have picked and chosen which video types to support. MP4's yes, QuickTime movies no.

* Certain websites (embarassingly including one of my own) will lock up the console and force a hard reset.

Hopefully they'll be releasing upgrades soon. In the meantime has any other PS3 owner settled on a good wireless keyboard for gaming? I used to have a wireless a couple of years ago but it was extremely bulky, sucked batteries like a mother, and seemed to have USB compatibility issues up the wazoo not to mention being expensive (I think it was between $50-$100) and I gave up on it. For gaming you'd want something small and lightweight without a lot of unnecessary extra frills (volume dials and homepage buttons et cetera).

Since RSS and Flash didn't work initially on the PSP, you bet your ass they will add that soon enough. Quicktime, I am not so sure about. We use Belkin USB keyboards at work, but even Microsoft or the PS2 keyboard work. I don't think we have come across one that didn't work.

Since RSS and Flash didn't work initially on the PSP, you bet your ass they will add that soon enough. Quicktime, I am not so sure about. We use Belkin USB keyboards at work, but even Microsoft or the PS2 keyboard work. I don't think we have come across one that didn't work.

Okay that's great if they are USB, but are they wireless? That's what I'm looking for - a lightweight wireless keyboard that doesn't Hoover up batteries. Hardly much point having a wireless controller if I'm still trailing 20 feet of USB extension cords to the couch.

Yeah I got a notice to download the new firmware when I turned on my PS3 last night, because it automatically connects you to the PlayStation network if you're on an internet line (hard or wireless). Even on high speed broadband it took forever but installing it was a snap. I haven't noticed any improvement in the browser though.