IGNORED

Atari800 under Linux - Sound problems

schaltegger

I've downloaded and compiled Atari800 1.2.2 configured for X11 under Mandrake Linux 8.2 (using gcc 3.1.1 and kernel 2.4.18-6mdk) and everything seems to work except sound. Looking back over the compile messages I see that the pokey modules were included but beyond that I'm at a loss to do any real troubleshooting.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance . . .

but here's a thought:

Has something else (e.g. your window manager) grabbed /dev/dsp? If so, they often include sound servers (like KDE's aRts) to share the device. You'd launch your emulator like user in KDE. I believe GNOME and Enlightenment offer similar functionality. Of course, this assumes sound is already working in your system. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip! I think I'll give that a try. I recompiled the emulator using sdl as a target rather than x11 (per suggestions from the developers on Atari800-users@lists.sourceforge.net and, under SDL, I at least have sound. Unfortunately, the emulator is running full-screen and I really don't want that. I loved the fact that it runs as a windowed app under X11.

Thanks again for the information and I'll give it a try.