IGNORED

new ps 3 upgrade fixes 1080i gaming issues

8th lutz

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/EFD6...676003D72BB.htm

According the article the new patch the PlayStation 3 will default to 1080i over 720p. For games that support 1080p and your set only can support 1080i, games will now automatically default to 1080i, and you won’t be Unfortunately for Blu-ray movies, if you’ve disabled the 1080i resolution, movies will be downscaled to 480p.

Sony better get a patch soon for the movies. Why sony didn't think about the movie part at this time is puzzling.

Edited by 8th lutz

going the full width of the 720 or 1080

Just posting this before some smart ass takes a piss.

The numbers thrown around in terms of 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p all refer to the vertical resolution, the height of the screen.

480i = 240 lines of resolution, alternating with a half pixel offset, at 30Hz to produce the full picture.

480p = 480 lines of resolution.

720p = 720 lines of resolution.

1080i = 540 lines of resolution, alternating with a half pixel offset, at 30Hz to produce the full picture.

1080p = 1080 lines of resolution.

Okay R, thanks for the clear explanation. Something still boggles me though - if it's only a resolution improvement, why does my picture frame lock in an HD aspect at 720 or 1080? When I'm in 480 my TV does the picture stretch to fill the whole screen, the same as watching non-HD channels on my cable box, but I can tell when I'm in 720 or 1080 because there's no stretch and the on screen fonts all get smaller, plus the aforementioned browser issue where the web surfing window no longer fills the whole screen.

Okay R, thanks for the clear explanation. Something still boggles me though - if it's only a resolution improvement, why does my picture frame lock in an HD aspect at 720 or 1080? When I'm in 480 my TV does the picture stretch to fill the whole screen, the same as watching non-HD channels on my cable box, but I can tell when I'm in 720 or 1080 because there's no stretch and the on screen fonts all get smaller, plus the aforementioned browser issue where the web surfing window no longer fills the whole screen.

If I'm understanding things correctly, the HD specs for 720p and 1080i require a 16x9 ("wide screen") aspect ratio. Therefore, nothing in 720p or 1080i will ever be intended for a 4x3 ("full screen") aspect ratio, and so all 16x9 HDTV's default to using the entire screen in these modes.

On the other hand, 480i and 480p images could be intended for either 16x9 (such as with "enhanced" or "anamorphic" DVD's) or 4x3 (just about everything else). TV's have no way of calculating which aspect ratio to use based on the signal, and instead offer controls in these modes that allow the user to set the correct aspect ratio manually.

So in your case, your PS3 may be configured to render web pages in a 4x3 aspect ratio when set to 480i or 480p, and if so, your TV may be set to stretch that image to fill the entire 16x9 screen. This would make the fonts look proportionally wider in 480i/p than they would in 720p or 1080i/p.

When web browsing in a 480 mode, try setting your TV to use a 4x3 aspect ratio, and see if that makes the fonts look the same as they do in the higher resolutions. If so, have a look at your PS3's configuration, and see which aspect ratio it is set to use when using a 480 mode. Of course, if you prefer the stretched fonts, you may just want to leave everything the way it is.

Edited by skunkworx