IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

A 4-port 5200 and a 600XL. Filthy but cheap!

Vacuumed dust and dead bugs out of the XL case. Pretty clean inside shield, bone stock, 16K. Plugged it in and ... it works!

5200 not as dirty, just one dead spider. No power supply, so not yet tested.

Yay, it works, mostly. Power circuit not working but with 5 V injected after regulators, rainbow display comes up. Now need carts.

Today I got Pac-Man and Star Raiders for the 5200. Clean and cheap! I chose Pac-Man because it's the game I converted for the 800 while researching my article. And Star Raiders because it's, well, Star Raiders.

A 4-port 5200 and a 600XL. Filthy but cheap!

Vacuumed dust and dead bugs out of the XL case. Pretty clean inside shield, bone stock, 16K. Plugged it in and ... it works!

5200 not as dirty, just one dead spider. No power supply, so not yet tested.

Yay, it works, mostly. Power circuit not working but with 5 V injected after regulators, rainbow display comes up. Now need carts.

Today I got Pac-Man and Star Raiders for the 5200. Clean and cheap! I chose Pac-Man because it's the game I converted for the 800 while researching my article. And Star Raiders because it's, well, Star Raiders.

cool that it works. Pac-man is awful to play with the shocking 5200 controllers though

cool that it works. Pac-man is awful to play with the shocking 5200 controllers though

Good thing I don't have a stock controller! I do remember how much better it played on the 800's stick after conversion.

I plan to get a PC analog stick and wire it up with a 4x4 keypad I have,

post-16281-0-08234600-1301037568_thumb.jpg

Cheap "new" low-density disks.

$5.00 + $3.55 shipping for the first 25, $1.00 shipping for each 25 purchased thereafter. Net result: 75 "new" disks for $20.55, shipped. Compare at $1/ea (shipped) at www.floppydisk.com.

I had been watching this, and while I was debating, it sold out. Then I got email "an item you've been watching has been relisted." Seller's feedback has a few of these listings (with good feedback) so there could be more coming. By far the cheapest "new" disks I've seen. New 720k disks, on the other hand, are not only listed infrequently, but always cost more. Fortunately, in a pinch, same $1/ea (shipped) for them at www.floppydisks.com as well.

Received my new in box PAL 130XE from B&C yesterday. Completely NOT pleased with the packing job they did. It was loosely wrapped in a thin layer of bubble wrap (not even taped to secure it) and a handful of peanuts in the box. I can literally hold the amount of peanuts in one hand.

Original Atari box was a little beat up, top and one side slightly crushed in. Thankfully the Atari itself was fine. With the piss poor job they did, I am honestly surprised it arrived in one piece. I would send an email to complain, but my previous emails with Bruce have been less than pleasant. You ask for a simple status update to your order and he gets made stating how he is swamped with hundreds of orders, hundreds of emails and all being covered by just him. Not my problem. Hire some part time help, dude.

Edited by thgill

Received my new in box PAL 130XE from B&C yesterday. Completely NOT pleased with the packing job they did. It was loosely wrapped in a thin layer of bubble wrap (not even taped to secure it) and a handful of peanuts in the box. I can literally hold the amount of peanuts in one hand

B&C seems to have taken a nosedive in quality of service recently. I've had some issues with them as well.

Received my new in box PAL 130XE from B&C yesterday. Completely NOT pleased with the packing job they did. It was loosely wrapped in a thin layer of bubble wrap (not even taped to secure it) and a handful of peanuts in the box. I can literally hold the amount of peanuts in one hand.

Original Atari box was a little beat up, top and one side slightly crushed in. Thankfully the Atari itself was fine. With the piss poor job they did, I am honestly surprised it arrived in one piece. I would send an email to complain, but my previous emails with Bruce have been less than pleasant. You ask for a simple status update to your order and he gets made stating how he is swamped with hundreds of orders, hundreds of emails and all being covered by just him. Not my problem. Hire some part time help, dude.

Bummer, man.

Did you get one with the bad GTIA? I did, and I bought the GTIA and socket - still not done. Dumb. It would have been a trifle more for a "fixed" one after that. The "bad GTIA" on has no bottom label, not that it's a big deal, but it did include the box.

I ordered a missile command 800 from a half.com seller and super breakout 800 from masterkanaargames on ebay. The former was under 5 dollars with shipping. The top of the game had a label from a name punch thing saying "missile com" on the top, but it's in good condition otherwise and workds. The Super Breakout is in good condition and works great.

I find it a bit frustrating that Super Breakout is one of the more common 800 games, but has only 1 video on youtube. It has some graphical anf sound differences from the 5200. So far, it's a slick version and I like the sound better than the 5200 (sounds closer to the original).

ugh. That's too bad about the B&C problems. My experiences with them have been positive so far (good packing and manuals with the loose games, which are new rather than used. They also have some neat stuff like APX and Antic games, which are hard to find elsewhere). One thing is that on their site, it tells you to call rather than email for questions, which is a pain since it's hard to tell where they will be in (I checked the CA hours before calling, which is three hours behind where I live. I got dail tone, but no answer the first time I called and got the answering machine the second). Bruce was friendly when I talked to him over the phone, though.

Edited by BrianC

Bummer, man.

Did you get one with the bad GTIA? I did, and I bought the GTIA and socket - still not done. Dumb. It would have been a trifle more for a "fixed" one after that. The "bad GTIA" on has no bottom label, not that it's a big deal, but it did include the box.

Nah, I bought one with a good GTIA. He removes the bad GTIA, installs a socket and installs the good GTIA chip. No label on the bottom of mine either. I think he is building these from New, old stock parts and mixing and matching to get the desired build. Probably has tons of motherboards and cases as I see him also selling just the new case and keyboards separate as well. Which I need a new keyboard and case to refurbish a NTSC 130xe that I have sitting here, but I hate to have to order from him again.

Considering the average Atari 800 user started in 1979 at age 15, that would leave most die-hard 6502 guys in their 40's... Considering B&C is a husband and wife team, and customer service has not been up to par, and in the last months he has told me the same story, that "he has tons of orders to do by himself" - did his wife die? Did he get a divorce? Hospitalized? Has anyone asked?

I've dealt with them for 25 years. They are really good people. And i you think a "husband & wife" team is adequate to manage the size of operation they have, you are totally ignorant of the situation. It's a huge facility FULL of atari stuff.. alot of it still in shrink-wrapped pallettes. They bought all of ATARI's remaining inventory on alot of stuff, and about half on other stuff, and a bunch of OTHER misc. noncategorized stuff in addition. Bruce is a good guy, he's honest, and he does whatever is HUMANLY POSSIBLE in the way of customer service and expediency of orders. And he doesnt give rediculous copouts or excuses. This is a fact. You should call him and talk to him directly if you think you have a problem.

He did seem indicate it was just him doing everything.

But I think something has happened as his signature on his emails have changed since January.

I late January it said:

This msg is sent to you by Bruce & Cathy at Atari Sales & Service B & C ComputerVisions. For more Atari items see www.myatari.com E-mail/Pay-pal to myatari2@juno.com or call Cathy at (530) 295-9270

Now it says:

This msg is sent to you by Bruce at Atari Sales & Service B & C ComputerVisions.

For more Atari items see www.myatari.com E-mail/Pay-pal to myatari2@juno.com or call (530) 295-9270

I've dealt with them for 25 years. They are really good people. And i you think a "husband & wife" team is adequate to manage the size of operation they have, you are totally ignorant of the situation. It's a huge facility FULL of atari stuff.. alot of it still in shrink-wrapped pallettes. They bought all of ATARI's remaining inventory on alot of stuff, and about half on other stuff, and a bunch of OTHER misc. noncategorized stuff in addition. Bruce is a good guy, he's honest, and he does whatever is HUMANLY POSSIBLE in the way of customer service and expediency of orders. And he doesnt give rediculous copouts or excuses. This is a fact. You should call him and talk to him directly if you think you have a problem.

No doubt he is a good guy, perhaps he should hire at least some part time help if it is indeed just him and he is that far back logged. The amount of email he gets alone probably needs another person just working the inbox.

I've never had a problem personally, I just noticed people complaining matches my recent experience with them. They always get the stuff to me on time, and this is all NOS anyway - I'd be a fool to expect 30 year old hardware working perfectly, 100% out of 100 orders. I just thought maybe someone would know of their specific issue. I got my answer.

MEtalGuy66 is: Weaponized empirical information. Wouldn't have it any other way :)

Considering the average Atari 800 user started in 1979 at age 15, that would leave most die-hard 6502 guys in their 40's...

Wow! How many 15 y/o's did you know who could afford an Atari 800 in 1979?

I bought my first Atari 800 (16k) in 1981 for $699 and a 32k ram board for another $100.

Back then I was only making $350 per month in the USAF...