IGNORED

Feedback Order

Varan

My feedback policy is that the seller should always leave feedback first. When I sell, I leave feedback immediatly after receiving payment. When I buy, I expect the seller to do the same. I'm sick of sellers who won't leave feedback first because they are afraid you will give them negative feedback and they wanna be able to return the favor.

...but I guess the stupid people who would rather leave bad feedback for something before attempting to communicate with another human being ruin it for all of us.

Still, my personal policy won't change.

As a seller, I also leave feedback immediately upon receipt of payment. I don't only do this because it's the right thing to do, but also because it's a lot easier to keep track of. If I left feedback after someone leaves feedback for me, I might forget to leave them feedback. And if someone leaves you a negative feedback, you can always write a one line response under it. I've never had a negative feedback yet, so I'll consider myself fortunate in that department.

..Al

I'm going to start selling on Ebay and I totally agree with the above comments regarding feedback, but as a buyer, I obviously always wait until I receive the item before leaving feedback.

I think I'm all set to start selling. Any comments or suggestions appreciated, like can a member use scans of carts from this site when selling an item ?

Thanks.

My suggestions:

If you are using scans that are not yours and that are not actual images of the carts you're selling, you should make VERY clear where you got the images from, and the fact that these are NOT the exact carts the buyer will be getting.

When I sell on eBay, selling things like CDs I usually don't bother with any pics at all (and they usually sell well). Selling expensive or collectible stuff (Atari carts included) where the condition varies a lot, and where buyers CARE a lot about the condition, you should really give the buyer a good indication of what they're getting.

A good and simple way to get pictures of carts you're selling is just to scan them. Scanners can be had for around $70 now so it's not a huge investment.

The last thing I'd say, and perhaps most important, is make very clear all of your conditions: your shipping charge, your return policy, what types of payment you accept... things like that.

Thank you for the info. I do need to get a new scanner as mine started making a big red mark down the center of the image. Although my carts are just like those pictured, I'll go ahead and scan them so there's no mistaking anything.

Thanks again.

Ouch this brings up a sore spot for me

as a buyer i love it when sellers leave feedback when they get/ship the package (not all of them let you know if they got your money) , cause then i can mark down when they left feedback and i can expect the package in X amount of days

I bought a Saturn game Guardian Heroes ($66) on ebay and the seller let me know via email that he got my payment, now when i receive the package and open it i find the game still seated firmly in the CD holder, as i remove the game to see how the CD looks there is a HUGE crack almost an inch long from the outer egde inward

I email him to let him know that i think he sold me a cracked CD and that the game was still seated when it arrived after 5 emails over 2 days he wont refund and he believes that i tried to scam him by switching a cracked CD of the game i had and try to get my money back

So i leave him a negative, then 3 days later he leaves me one saying how he wont let me rip him off and saying the CD wasnt cracked when shipped

so i emailed him asking him why did you leave me a negative when you got my payment and i received the package? I said you should respond to the negative i gave you and leave nothing for me as a feedback - he said because you deserve one for trying to scam me, (I WAS PISSED) i emailed him back saying that i am going to email everyone that bids on your stuff and let them read the emails you sent me and not to deal with you, and since then he hasnt put anything up for sale

Lemmi, I can really see your point. I've been scammed twice on Ebay [(you'd think once was enough :)!!!); well, really the second time on PalPay when they double charged me for the same item; international seller, PalPay won't do anything]. Although I have better things to do, I would like to let others know who these scammers are so no one else gets ripped off. You should read the messages on some of the forums on Ebay; they really get into bashing Ebay for not enforcing many of their own rules; just as long as they're making money.

Ok, some e-bay practices and advice

SELLING:

1. When selling games, I always indicate that it's the original CD, orginal inserts, etc...

2. I indicate that I prefer Paypal but will accept checks or money orders. Snail mail payment of course delays shipping.

3. I don't use reserves. If I don't wanna sell something for less than $10, I start the auction at $9.99.

4. Leave feedback when payment is recieved.

5. E-Mail buyer of all status changes. I e-mail the buyer when I receive payment and indicate when the item will be shipped. Sometimes real life happens and I don't make it to the PO so I let them know. Establishing communication will reduce chance of someone slamming you with bad feedback before consulting with you.

6. Include details. Posting an auction that you are selling 15 Atari games and not listing ALL the games by name is dumb.

7. Title of auction should have searchable keywords, not a properly formatted sentence. For example, I sold a copy of GTA3 for PS2. I listed in the auction as "Grand Theft Auto III 3 GTA3 for Playstation 2 PS2" or something like that that fit. This way my auction comes up in a variety of searches.

8. Check yoour spelling. See my tips below on buying as to why...

BUYING:

1. Use the watching feature instead of bidding low.

2. Bid low on no reserve auctions for games. I bid $1 on a lot of games whether I need/want them or not. Sometimes you end up winning and you can turn several duplicate games you don't want into a game you want at EB World.

3. Search on mispelled versions of Playstation, Intellivision, Dreamcast... etc. Right now there are 28 "Playstaion" items on E-Bay. Sometimes you'll find a real steal that most people aren't getting in their searches.

4. If you really want an item, save your bid until the last 60 seconds. By proxy bidding early, you are just giving another bidder time to think about raising the price and they usually do. You'll end up winning auctions at a lower price by not leaving them enough time to outbid you.... of course, if your opponent bidder is truly proxy bidding and you don't beat it.... then you wasted time... but that RARELY happens. Everyone is bidding incrementally as the auction continues.

5. Don't leave feedback until you have received feedback.

Feedback: As a buyer I will leave positive feedback if the item is received as described, was shipped in the manner agreed upon in the time frame discussed, and was packaged securely. Also, I have to see that the seller has a history of LEAVING FEEDBACK. I had one seller have over 1000 feedbacks and left only 22, so needless to say he wasn't getting any from me. If there is a reason why I feel I might not want to give a positive, I will always CONTACT the seller first and give them a chance to discuss it. If we work it out favorably, that will be noted in a positive feedback.

As a seller, I send out an email stating that your item has shipped on the acutal day I sent it. I ask the buyer to either let me know it was received properly and/or leave feedback if they are happy, and I will do the same at that time. If I ship the item and I never hear from you again, sorry but no feedback for you.

Waiting for the buyer to leave feedback before you do is equatable to waiting until the seller sends you the item to pay for it. Once you have your money, you should leave feedback. Whether the buyer is happy with what they bought has no bearing on how trustworthy of a biffer they are.

I jumped the gun after reading all the great advice in this thread and listed items on Ebay using scans from AtariAge without giving credit to the source. The actual scans don't bother me that much, as I've looked at what I have with a magnifying glass, and I can honestly see no difference.

It's the principle of the act. Instead of waiting a day to get a new scanner, I took the lazy way out. This reflects badly on me and I apologize to every member of the board. If I'm banned to the netherworld (or off the board), so be it, but I cannot be dishonest with such a great group of members, or to anyone on Ebay. Actually, the auctions are truthful and direct, and except for the lack of crediting and thanking AtariAge for the scans, I am being totally honest and truthful with any buyer who asks a question.

Regardless, I had to make this post, as I've met a lot of great people here and that means so much more than auctions or making money.

Thanks.

Just to clarify why I suggested you post your own scans instead of using the Atari Age ones:

My reason as an eBay bidder for wanting to see scans of the actual carts I am buying is not because of minute details of possible label variations. (I'm not that picky about a copyright 1983 Jungle Hunt vs. a 1988 Jungle Hunt, for instance.) The real reason is because I want to know the exact condition of the labels. I have gotten burned (and continue to) when I do not get the exact condition in advance.

Are you trying to hide something about the games you're selling, like torn or written-on labels? If a buyer sees an obviously "generic" scan of a game, they are likely to become suspicious that this was done because the real copy they're getting is damaged or defaced in some way.

I understand your concerns and I have ended the auctions. I'm gettting a new scanner today to show buyers exactly what they're getting. I'm also going to read the volumes of advice in this thread again, as I know many of the members are experienced and knowledgeable sellers, and are offering a lot of good advice.