IGNORED

Flashback 2 sales brisk?

Okay, this might only be a local thing, but the FB2 is flying off the shelves in my hometown. I missed them last year when they were out and have been kicking myself since. However, I came home for Christmas this year and my mother pointed out she'd seen "some kind of new Atari" at Canadian Tire. I went down there this morning at 10:00 and there were about 75 there that came in yesterday. I wanted to see if Wal-Mart or the mom and pop videogame store had them cheaper so I went to those places. I came back at 11:30 and there were over 20 of them gone (one entire layer of the pile). I bought one. My mother came home from work at 4:30 and said she'd stopped in to check on them for me, in case I hadn't gotten one during the day. She said there were maybe 16 left. 75 to 16 in one day, with 5 and a half hours left before closing. That's crazy.

As a side note, I love this thing. It's the best videogame related purchase I've made since my 7800 2 years ago, and way better than any purchase other than that since the 16-bit era. Opening a box and seeing a new 2600 inside was awesome on every level.

Edited by Atarifever

I would think cheap video games should sell insanely well at Christmas time, they're incredibly convenient to buy for either parents or for people buying for friends. I mean, any kid or fan who complains about a video game you bought for him or her is a total idiot, assuming you never did something completely dumb like buy your son a Barbie game or your old lady Gears of War.

I've been getting oddly fascinated by this plug n play stuff. Tonight my mom picked me up a 77 in 1 plug n play with a bunch of stuff I've never heard of, I can't wait to try it out. There's also some LCD games that look like controllers that look neat. At $6.50, they are overpriced, but if there's a hockey one, it's mine!

Havent been able to find an FB2 in the 3 most southern counties here in NJ

So I ordered a 2nd one from Columbia House before there gone for good

Now I can mod one with a cart port andleave one at spec.

If I slip with the soldering iron least Ill have the joysticks as spares

Unfortuneately I dont think a new Atari based on 2600 or even 7800 with separate carts to buy would make it in mainstream markets Id love to see it but shelf space wouldnt be made for them esp if it meant giving up space for the Next gen gaming machines

Neither of the two Wal-Mart stores near me have any left in stock, and the salespeople tell me that they sold out pretty quickly. I already have four of them, so I'm not exactly on the lookout for one anymore, but it is good to see that the FB2 has apparently remained a very popular item.

There are still a bunch of those rotten keychains on the shelves gathering dust, but that's another story.

a good product with a good marketing is worth it.
The only marketing the FB2 got was from the retro community and a few shows in the East, AFAIK (to me, if it's past the Rockies, it's EAST ;) ). Oh yeah, let's not forget the infamous lost Ellen DeGeneres clip! And the Bobby Blackwell podcast... Aside from some flyer space in stores that sold them, was there ever an actual TV ad for the FB2?

The only marketing the FB2 got was from the retro community and a few shows in the East, AFAIK (to me, if it's past the Rockies, it's EAST ;) ). Oh yeah, let's not forget the infamous lost Ellen DeGeneres clip! And the Bobby Blackwell podcast... Aside from some flyer space in stores that sold them, was there ever an actual TV ad for the FB2?

I saw an ad last Christmas Eve on one of the local TV stations in LA, sponsored by Tiger Direct of all places. I thought it was an insane time to advertise. I actually managed to get it recorded but I don't know where it is right at this moment...

I saw an ad last Christmas Eve on one of the local TV stations in LA, sponsored by Tiger Direct of all places. I thought it was an insane time to advertise. I actually managed to get it recorded but I don't know where it is right at this moment...

That would be something to see if you could find it and get it posted... ;)

Yah, they weren't really marketed at all for various reasons. That's what makes it even more impressive - the decent sales figures the FB2 enjoyed were purely from grass roots word of mouth as you mention, and impulse buyers in the stores. Even in the stores, they weren't really pushed. BestBuy in my locale had them shoved in a back corner of the video game section, Walmart and Target had them on foot level shelves in a mass of other plug and plays. When I went by most shoppers didn't know they were there or hadn't heard of them until I'd go in the checkout line with one. "Oh, Atari! Where'd you get that?!?"

I put together then one retro advertisement that was in the bonus section of the FB2 page (along with the wallpaper) hoping those would at least spread a little across web sites.

Well, I got another one this morning for Christmas (ordered from Atari itself according to the person who got it for me), so I guess I've helped sales a little. I'm trying to decide if I should learn to solder and put a cart slot in one and leave the other the way it is, or if I should just use one as is (as my 7800 already plays 2600 games fine), keep one in the shrink wrap as a collector's item, and not bother messing with either of them. In any case, it's one of a very few gifts I could not be disappointed to have 2 of.

• 1 year later...

Here is some scant info re: the Flashback 2 givewaways on the Ellen DeGeneres show. It aired on Dec. 2, 2005 and was episode 03x65 (season 3, episode 65). The FB2 was given away along with the George Foreman G5 grill. Still no known video available, AFAIK.

http://www.tvrage.com/shows/id-5750/episodes/307563/03x65

• 2 weeks later...
Someone was selling a PAL version on eBay (I didn't think they made a PAL version???).

no, never a PAL version. It will work on a TV that can do PAL 60 I believe. Do you have a link?

Never mind, I found it, definitely not PAL.

Edited by mimo

Here in the midwest (MO, KS, and AR) there's a chain of gaming stores called "Vintage Stock" that seems to still have quite a few Flashback 2's lying around at $20 each. They look to be department store returns since the cardboard boxes have barcode stock tags on them. I've seen at least 1 or 2 at each store location I've been to.

Are there any stores that still have Flashback 2s? I was at Target and Walmart today and neither store had any?

Here in the midwest (MO, KS, and AR) there's a chain of gaming stores called "Vintage Stock" that seems to still have quite a few Flashback 2's lying around at $20 each. They look to be department store returns since the cardboard boxes have barcode stock tags on them. I've seen at least 1 or 2 at each store location I've been to.

Are there any stores that still have Flashback 2s? I was at Target and Walmart today and neither store had any?

Were they taped back shut? makes me think defective units-- would be great for case refits for broken 2600's, maybe. It would be better if they worked.

Nathan

The one I bought last night at a NW Arkansas "Vintage Stock" location does seem to have a bad controller, so I agree they're probably returns due to defects. Will probably just keep it and eventually try to repair since the other controller works fine. The boxes are untaped and fairly ratty, but the console and accessories look like new.

Were they taped back shut? makes me think defective units-- would be great for case refits for broken 2600's, maybe. It would be better if they worked.
Edited by joplinatari