IGNORED

Who's done a hard drive swap yet?

MegaManFan

20 GB really isn't cutting it for me and I'd like to just jump up to 100 or 250, but I'd love guidance from anyone on AA who's already done this on what model of PC HD they used and how hard it was to do. Will you be able to copy over all your data or will you lose user settings and system upgrades in the process?

Here you go.

Newegg 2.5" 5400 RPM drives

And here's the guide to swapping them out.

How-to guide

I've read that you can copy the info over as well. If I can find the info I'll post it for you.

Please do. In the interim I'm going to order this drive from Newegg since it seems to be the right spec.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822149057

Just as an update, the how-to guide from gamersreport was 100% active and easy to follow. I used a $9 PC toolkit from OfficeMax and the hard drive I got from NewEgg and even though I was being extra careful and going slow I had the whole thing done in 10 minutes. I'd honestly say it was the EASIEST computer related upgrade I've ever done - I've put in new video cards, new modems, ethernet cards, and new hard drives before, and never once have I had a procedure that was (1.) pop off the plastic tab (2.) unscrew the docking tray, (3.) pull it out and unscrew the old drive, (4.) put the new drive in and the screws back in place, and (5.) redo everything you undid to get it open. Booted it up and the PS3 asked me right away if I wanted to format the new drive, I said yes. It finished quickly, the system rebooted, and I now have 97 of 111 usable GB free (apparently the system reserves about 14 for itself). I feel a little smug right now because I have more HD in my cheap $500 PS3 than people who stood in line waiting to get the $600 with the 60 GB. Hell if I decide that's not enough space I may upgrade again! Anybody want my old drive? :D

Just as an update, the how-to guide from gamersreport was 100% active and easy to follow. I used a $9 PC toolkit from OfficeMax and the hard drive I got from NewEgg and even though I was being extra careful and going slow I had the whole thing done in 10 minutes. I'd honestly say it was the EASIEST computer related upgrade I've ever done - I've put in new video cards, new modems, ethernet cards, and new hard drives before, and never once have I had a procedure that was (1.) pop off the plastic tab (2.) unscrew the docking tray, (3.) pull it out and unscrew the old drive, (4.) put the new drive in and the screws back in place, and (5.) redo everything you undid to get it open. Booted it up and the PS3 asked me right away if I wanted to format the new drive, I said yes. It finished quickly, the system rebooted, and I now have 97 of 111 usable GB free (apparently the system reserves about 14 for itself). I feel a little smug right now because I have more HD in my cheap $500 PS3 than people who stood in line waiting to get the $600 with the 60 GB. Hell if I decide that's not enough space I may upgrade again! Anybody want my old drive? :D

Congratulations!

Now all you have to do is try to fill it up. :lol:

Are you going to try YDL on it?

Don't forget the 60g version of the PS3 has wireless networking, slots for mem cards, and :o (Gasp) Chrome colored trim!!

Chrome schmome. Besides if you hook up your PSP to your PS3 it's just like having a mem card slot, and with a $50 wireless gaming adapter it's just like having wireless networking. I can't imagine how I'll ever fill up 100 GB but I know I downloaded a lot more game demos with this one than I did before and I still have 93 left. Go Sudoku is pretty addictive, I may have to buy the full version. :D