IGNORED

NES High Score Club Week #16 - Gauntlet II

vdub_bobby

Dinosaurs? Blowing bubbles? Enough! Time for a good old fashioned dungeon crawl - let's play some Gauntlet II!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point!

And if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it.

Aaaand: only scores for games played from the beginning will count - no continues!

This week's competition ends next Tuesday (Dec 26) morning at approximately 9:00 am PST.

This week's standings:

27,560 rjchamp3 (+10 pts)

24,580 vdub_bobby (+8 pts)

18,680 Cybergoth (+6 pts)

13,670 8th lutz (+4 pts)

NightSprinter (+1 bonus pt for best tip)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

25,640 Nik Meeks

21,100 Mr. Kelly R Flewin

12,730 Pete Rocha

Overall standings:

1. rjchamp3 (80 pts)

2. vdub_bobby (56 pts)

3. figgler (54 pts)

4. 8th lutz (47 pts)

5. mojofltr (40 pts)

6. LarcenTyler (39 pts)

7. galaxy warrior (35 pts)

8. Cybergoth (31 pts)

9. nester (29 pts)

10. gdement (28 pts)

11. MetalSlime23 (27 pts)

12. bust3dstr8 (21 pts)

13. Malc74 (13 pts)

14. keilbaca (4 pts)

15. MCHufnagel (2 pts)

15. remowilliams (2 pts)

15. Kami68k (2 pts)

18. BrianC (1 pts)

18. HeckYesIDid (1 pts)

Game Info

Originally created for the arcade by Atari in 1986 and ported to the NES by Tengen in 1990. Sequel to, obviously, Gauntlet. According to Klov:

This game is almost the same as the original Gauntlet except it contains over 100 new mazes with new enemies and other variations.

Also, each player can select whichever character he or she wants to play. Meaning, that each player can even all be the same character, regardlessly.

The players on the game are differed by color (red, yellow, blue and green) instead of character and the characters each player can select to play are respectively the Warrior, the Valkyrie, the Elf and the Wizard.

Tips

NightSprinter:

Thor the Warrior: Great shot power and fighting strength. Also very tough physical defense due to thick skin. Can easil take out most monsters and generators from afar or up-close. However, he's slower than a glass bottle of ketchup at a diner, and well.. big warrior, small brain (i.e. he's rather poor at magic).

Thyra the Valkyrie: She's pretty much Jane Average, save for her defensive capabilities. Her shield makes her the most resilient of the four, but overall she rounds out even (good speed, good fighting power, ok shot power, ok magic).

Merlin the Wizard: He's a wizard, what can be said other than the following. Very good shot power (fireballs), master of magic given who he is, good speed. However his bare hands can't do anything in hand-to-hand against monsters or generators, and like mages/wizards in general he's quite "squishy" as my RPG friends would say.

Questor the Elf: Like most elves in general, the guy's a speed demon. Second-squishiest in terms of defense (leather armor), weakest in shot power (wood arrows), second-weakest fighting power (dagger), and second-strongest in magic.

If you wanna just do a 2-player session: the usual teams are this. Thor/Merlin to specialize, or Thyra/Questor for your average party.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Anyone know how to beat level 17? I think it actually should be easy and I probably experience some emulation bug? I came there with like 1200 food and now I'm just starving. I shot every single block and jumped dozens of times into every available teleporter...

Until someone makes me see the light, my score for this week ends here at: 18.680 :sad:

g.gif

To answer your question, Bobby:

Thor the Warrior: Great shot power and fighting strength. Also very tough physical defense due to thick skin. Can easil take out most monsters and generators from afar or up-close. However, he's slower than a glass bottle of ketchup at a diner, and well.. big warrior, small brain (i.e. he's rather poor at magic).

Thyra the Valkyrie: She's pretty much Jane Average, save for her defensive capabilities. Her shield makes her the most resilient of the four, but overall she rounds out even (good speed, good fighting power, ok shot power, ok magic).

Merlin the Wizard: He's a wizard, what can be said other than the following. Very good shot power (fireballs), master of magic given who he is, good speed. However his bare hands can't do anything in hand-to-hand against monsters or generators, and like mages/wizards in general he's quite "squishy" as my RPG friends would say.

Questor the Elf: Like most elves in general, the guy's a speed demon. Second-squishiest in terms of defense (leather armor), weakest in shot power (wood arrows), second-weakest fighting power (dagger), and second-strongest in magic.

If you wanna just do a 2-player session: the usual teams are this. Thor/Merlin to specialize, or Thyra/Questor for your average party.