IGNORED

Non-Infringing Russian Block Game

Zach

• 2 weeks later...

Holy раз, два, три Batman!

You are actually going to explain to us how to pronounce Четыре! We're not kindergarden students professor!

Конечно, I'm just kidding.

I just happen to be a long time Russian student. Now, love the name...if only I could make myself love the Atari 2600.

I had one, back in the day, but...

oops, I almost spoke blasphemy around here.

Anyway, love the name...love the screenshots, looks like you are producing quite the fun, and non-infringing, game.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for your continued interest. Unfortunately my work takes all my energy these days (First year high-school teacher. Classes are Algebra II, Calculus, Introduction to Programming, and AP Computer Science.)

Maybe I can spend some time on it during winter break, but it's more likely we'll have to wait until summer for an update.

I hope you finish this Zach! It looks great!

Thank you for your continued interest. Unfortunately my work takes all my energy these days (First year high-school teacher. Classes are Algebra II, Calculus, Introduction to Programming, and AP Computer Science.)

Maybe I can spend some time on it during winter break, but it's more likely we'll have to wait until summer for an update.

I hope you finish this Zach! It looks great!

I 2nd that notion!

Well, I did a little bit a work on it lately, and got the game playable with standard RAM. It basically has the same functionality as the original demo, without the bankswitching. I'm considering including four or eight variations, including:

1) Slow and Steady: Blocks fall at a constant pace until the playfield fills up.

2) Level-based: Advance levels after clearing so many rows. Blocks fall faster each level.

3) Goal-based: Each level requires completing some goal, such as clearing n doubles, scoring m points, surviving b blocks, etc.

4) Other ideas?

I plan to step up effort on this game in the summer, because I want a Russian block game in my collection as much as anyone else. :)

Well, I did a little bit a work on it lately, and got the game playable with standard RAM.

Meaning with Superchip RAM as opposed to CBS RAM+, or did you get this working without any additional RAM at all?

No Superchip. Just the Atari's native RAM, and it's very tight. BTW, adapting to standard RAM this wasn't

the "little bit of work" I meant. That was a lot of work, done over the summer. I just did a little to clear full rows yesterday.

Edited by Zach

• 3 years later...

This game is truly exceptional!

The title screen is amazing. I have never seen graphics that detailed and polished on a 2600 before. The music is exceptional. It sounds like the arcade! ... and the game play is exceptional. The multiple colors per line is amazing kernal code. ... and the animation for clearing the row is cool.

All round, this raises the bar for homebrews!

P.S. The guy playing it in the demo is really good!

Great job, Babz! (not me) :cool:

I haven't been involved in this project lately. I believe this latest version is pretty much Chris' work, with help from Fred and Nathan. I only take credit for the multi-color kernel. As I understand it, Chris learned how my kernel works and started over from scratch.

UPDATE: Chris has explained his part in the project in his blog.

Edited by Zach