IGNORED

Surrounded! Christmas Gift demo release!

JagChris

DATELINE DECEMBER 24, 2006

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!!!

3D Stooges software announces 'Surrounded!'. A game in which reflex and speed

mean everything. You are the space defense station. You hold many secrets of

the Star Federation that the Zorglons' would kill to have...literally!!!. They attack you

from every side in 3D. Using your training you battle back fighting off Attacker after

Attacker and their bombs. Then out of nowhere comes the DEMON! Be quick or he

will pay an unwelcome visit on you! This is a 12 level demo that does a few things.

A ) Gives you (yes you) all too loyal and patient Jaguar fans something from us for now.

B ) Show's the Jaguar can have smooth fun simple 3D games with fast framerates.

C ) That one can run a normal game from MAIN RAM, which Atari said was impossible.

D ) That you Jaguar fans inspire us to carry on the fight! We love you guys!!!

Jesus came 2000 years ago and showed us that is it truly more devine to give

than recieve. This gift reflects that spirit. Good will and peace between all men

of every nation. God gave us the greatest gift of all, His one and only Son that

we all may have life and live in true peace someday. Accept that gift, no charge!!!

Merry Christmas every one! I hope this brings you many hours of enjoyment and

gaming pleasure! Thanks for being the most passionate fans of ANY system out there!

Long live Jaguar fans! Long Live the Jaguar!!!

Steven Scavone, C.E.O. 3D Stooges Software!!!

Here you go Jag fans! I just could not let another Christmas go by an leave you

with nothing in your stockings! This is a demo, not a finished product. I has

no background graphics and only one type of enemy attacks and only one

mini boss. There is plenty of sound though and plenty of polies flying and I think

you will find this game, though simple, a lot a fun to play. You've all been so patient

and loyal.

You may post this elsewhere as long as Jason Smith and myself are consulted

first. This is not to be distributed on ANY medium, CD/DVD or hard drive or floppy

or other hard medium. IT may NOT be disassembled as you will be in violation of

law and I will act with in my rights. Even if you do, good luck trying to figure it out!

The ONLY place I want to see this in running on an upload based system. not on

CD, not on cart not on any other type flash card or otherwise. This is a gift, not a

way for the nefarious to make a living!!!

Controls:

Up aim cannon up

Down aim cannon down

Left aim cannon left

Right aim cannon right

Fire A aim cannon away

Fire C aim cannon toward

Fire B fires aimed lazer cannon

key 1 starts the game.

Once you go through the initial disclaimer screens

and intro there is no more waiting between games.

Attackers come from all six sides. The fires bombs at the space fortress.

They will continue firing bombs until you destroy them.

Bombs head toward fortress to destroy it. One hit and its over.

The Demon will come out from time to time and really give you

a hard time. Concentrate and he'll never get past you!

Did I say free? hehe...everything come with a cost.....

All who play , I ask you to report any bugs in this thread.

I also want your opinions.

Once you click on this link to DL this you agree to the terms implied

here and in the game itself. We ask you repect the terms of this game.

Enjoy all!!

Steve 'the FROG!' Scavone.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours!

I think 2007 will be a memorable year for our little black kitty!

Christmas_2006_SURROUND.zip

This game is more of a breakthrough than it would appear just from looking at it and playing it.

Inside it's doing something that as far as I understand, never really been done before on the Jag, running the GPU from main. If you've been around the Jag scene a while I'm sure you've heard the news and read the emails from people like the id crew about how the Jaguar can't run anything from its GPU in main ram and must use the local ram for everything.

Well now that issue appears to have been solved and this small demo game landmarks it. :)

Well I don't have a Dev kit so I tried it on Project Tempest. Didn't work. :D

Hmmm... will this run under jugs or BJL? If so what is the run address?

Yes it will on Jugs and BJL. It's the standard BJL start address. Bjl_load -n -8 surround.bin etc.

I don't know how to run it on JUGS. Never used it.

Any way to burn a CD image?

No. Read the instructions again. Burning it to a CD is prohibited.

Well I don't have a Dev kit so I tried it on Project Tempest. Didn't work. :D

Hmmm... will this run under jugs or BJL? If so what is the run address?

Yes it will on Jugs and BJL. It's the standard BJL start address. Bjl_load -n -8 surround.bin etc.

I don't know how to run it on JUGS. Never used it.

Any way to burn a CD image?

No. Read the instructions again. Burning it to a CD is prohibited.

That's strange. Hmmm... would be willing to try this on BJL, if I knew how to use it.

Doesn't want this on a CD since this is a gift, to making a way for the nefarious to make a living? Ok... interesting.

You mean people have been making a living off the other free demos on disk images?

Finally got a chance to check it out, and it is neat!

Has that addictive gameplay of one of the old classic arcade games, with the cool addition of Jag polys and of course the 3D element :D

Very nice Frog, I'll definitely be awaiting the full version. :cool:

I did encounter one problem though - while I can get Christmas_2006_SURROUND.zip to run fine, every time I try to run FixedSURROUND.zip the Jag locks up immediately after loading. I'm using JUGS, because I am too lazy to build the BJL cable at the moment.

Hello all and Merry Christmas!!!

You are all welcome.

JagChris is partially correct. The GPU is succesfully JUMPing and JRing

around in main RAM, unassisted. This was impossible according to

Atari. This demo proves otherwise. I have also discovered that is is

NOT only the fault of the MMU but another issue that plagues main

RAM jumps as unreliable. They are correct, if you just write code in

main as if you were running out of the local, then you will have issues.

with a bit of trial and error and a long term understanding of the GPU,

I can now write VERY LARGE GPU code and not need to run it OR move

it to local in bits and pieces. TOns of cycles will be saved just from the blitting code in and out of the local. Now a REAL C compiler can be written and actually be practical.

@ Remowilliams: Im glad you like it. :) I hope to optimize it so it NEVER drops under 60FPS..right now is 90 % 60 FPS and drop as low as 20FPS during the explosion(lots of polies in that one). I totally appreciate the Gorf Classic comments too. I worked real hard on that title. Seeing someone have a blast with it is priceless. Thanks! Find any thing out of the ordinary in classic yet? ;) Also, Im not sure why the demo works and the other does not....interesting. I'll look into it.

@ Dr Clu: it's not about profit, but principal :) ( and no, I really dont

want to go long winded with an explaination as to why either.)

However, my good man, if you own a Jaguar CD, you only need

a cable and a burn of the CD version of BJL. It does not require

a moded Jaguar either. You are looking at under $40 dollars

and will be able to not only play this but other DL only demos

from us. :) It can cost less if you can burn your own CD and

make your own cable or adapter for a 25 pin to Jag port. :)

@ guitarmas: It cant run on emulators...they dont understand GPU

main code rule/guidlines. I know of no one else who does know how

to utilize the GPU from main in the manner in which I do it. I know of

other methods but this is not limited like the others. It just has certain

guidelines one must follow.

@ Atari Owl: Yes running from main has a lot of suprising

advantages. :) Keep up the good work with those projects. :)

Hello all and Merry Christmas!!!

@ Dr Clu: it's not about profit, but principal :) ( and no, I really dont

want to go long winded with an explaination as to why either.)

However, my good man, if you own a Jaguar CD, you only need

a cable and a burn of the CD version of BJL. It does not require

a moded Jaguar either. You are looking at under $40 dollars

and will be able to not only play this but other DL only demos

from us. :) It can cost less if you can burn your own CD and

make your own cable or adapter for a 25 pin to Jag port. :)

Nice work!! Yeh I have been able to load this once on the JUGS setup in six tries. I have the address at 4000, but I am not sure what the run (reset GPU, GPU and DSP, start immediately, etc) anyway, I am tinkering with that now.

Most of you guys probably don't get an opportunity to experience how much the Frog works on the Jag. He's CONSTANTLY working on it. This guy, he's a workaholic. And absolutely obsessed with the Jag. On top of teaching those who are willing to learn how to program it, he's constantly programming on it, digging into it etc. He's a one man development team. Really.

I don't think there's anybody out there who understands more in general about the internal workings of the Jaguar and how to program it, save for networking, than the Frog.

Most of you guys probably don't get an opportunity to experience how much the Frog works on the Jag. He's CONSTANTLY working on it. This guy, he's a workaholic. And absolutely obsessed with the Jag. On top of teaching those who are willing to learn how to program it, he's constantly programming on it, digging into it etc. He's a one man development team. Really.

I don't think there's anybody out there who understands more in general about the internal workings of the Jaguar and how to program it, save for networking, than the Frog.

I can see that! :) Well, as a tribute to the Frog, to show folks how this is loaded with JUGS, and to show people it is definately worth going through all the trouble to load this game, here is a comical movie I put together in tribute. Enjoy!!

I can see that! :) Well, as a tribute to the Frog, to show folks how this is loaded with JUGS, and to show people it is definately worth going through all the trouble to load this game, here is a comical movie I put together in tribute. Enjoy!!

Very nice :cool:

How come no sound? :?:

No 38,400 for you? ;)

Actually while we're on the subject (sort of) was there any version of the JUGS loader that can actually go beyond 38,400 like the cart settings can?

You mean while playing the game? I get no sound either when playing the game, I figured it was because it was a demo, but I might as well ask now - am I supposed to be hearing sound during the game? :)

Hmmm... I have a version with sound, though it is more of static. I might upload that too. It was actually recorded with the most recent version of Surrounded.

Nice game!

Oh, as for the 38,400... well, the times afterwards used 38,400. Probably loaded this game about seven times at 38,400 before giving up and using the older version, which loaded a bit more frequently.

Hey what is is like loading this by BJL and other means?

Edited by doctorclu

Hey what is is like loading this by BJL and other means?

Loading by BJL is very easy. No need to put in a start address etc.

In the command line to load just type: BJL_load -n -8 surround.bin.

You should get the standard nyuk nyuk nyuk etc at the 3D Stooges logo alone plus the game sounds etc.

In game you should get all sorts of sounds from a siren sound to the enemies firing shots and the sounds during the cubes destruction.

If you're using Jugs you may need to use the 'kickstart' application with it or whatever it is called. :)