IGNORED

New 2600 game development

Simon

Hello,

I know that there is at least one homebrew where the developer used the BW/Color switch to change between NTSC and PAL. Is something like this not an option? It would be a real shame to see this new game limited to only one side of the big pond

Yes, this technique is used in my own game Mental Kombat. :)

It doesn't matter if the TV standard is switchable or in two different files: the work of converting an existing PAL game into an NTSC version is the same. Due to the amount of available scanlines (PAL 312 and NTSC 262) the display routine for the canyon would have to be changed totally. This would result in making the canyon more narrow on NTSC than it is in PAL.

I'm not sure about an ntsc version somewhen, but at the moment I prefer programming another game first...

Thanks,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

the test pcb/eprom from Al arrived and I wasn't able to spot any problems so far.

I played the game up to level #15 (out of 30) and couldn't spot any difference to playing the file on z26 or stella.

Some people tested the game so far and didn't find technical problems, but some had problems on concentrating on the gameplay itself. ;)

I'll test the game some more and play it through (did I tell that a cheat mode is inside?) to be sure that there is no bug in later levels.

I would like to hear other opinions about the game and difficulty, too.

Best regards,

Simon

• 5 months later...

Hello everybody,

the release for the LIMITED EDITION of this game is getting closer, the following steps were taken:

- Cartridges (PAL) are manufactured, shipped and arrived. All 35 copies work fine.

- Manuals (8 pages, color) are printed, cut, folded and stapled.

- Covers (color) are printed, cut and inserted into the boxes.

- Patches are finished and waiting.

- Limited labels (serialno. and signature) are printed.

Remaining work to do:

- Printed labels have to arrive and get fixed.

- A second patch/button is planned.

- Put everything together in the boxes.

I assume that people have their copies before christmas.

Later,

Simon

I would like to also order this 2600 cart..( PAL ) .

I will have a modded 2600 soon ( plays both PAL & NTSC )

Thank you.

I assume to announce the ordering phase in about two weeks. My website will show the ordering details then:

http://www.quernhorst.de/atari/

The game may work on a normal NTSC console, but the colors are different and the gamespeed is faster (due to a 50 Hz game running on a 60 Hz system). The scanline is constant at 312 and therefore I don't fear a rolling of the tv picture...

Later,

Simon

Edited by Simon

Update:

- The labels arrived (and look damn good) and were sticked to the carts.

- The missing buttons were ordered and should arrive at the end of next week.

I'm looking forward to complete this task soon.

Simon

:thumbsup: Can´t wait to play it on real hardware!!! :)

The game may work on a normal NTSC console, but the colors are different and the gamespeed is faster (due to a 50 Hz game running on a 60 Hz system). The scanline is constant at 312 and therefore I don't fear a rolling of the tv picture...

Even though many PAL sets will tolerate 262 scan lines, most non-digital NTSC televisions won't tolerate 312. I wouldn't count on digital sets to tolerate 312 without auto-detecting PAL and completely losing all color; I'm not sure how many US sets would accept it at all. Maybe I should hook up my 7800 to my digital TV and see if Bobby Geht Nach Haus works.

Hello,

all items are produced now and the boxes have been compiled.

Please have a look at the attached photo of a complete copy of "I Project".

I'll update my website soon and there will be all needed information for ordering...

htttp://www.quernhorst.de/atari

Best regards,

Simon

post-748-1226567870_thumb.jpg

Whole package looks great... who did your helicopter illustration on the front cover & labels?

Thank you. :)

The artwork is done by Celal Kandemiroglu.

He works in the video game developers industry for decades and created artworks for classics like M.U.D.S., the Turrican series, X-Out up to modern hits like Sacred 2. I really admire his work and am happy to present his great picture on my game...

Later,

Simon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hopefully carts will arrive. He says they're all shipped DHL on his website. DHL filed for bankruptcy. I very rarely get DHL stuff at work anymore because they're always been more expensive.

For the record, I only just yesterday received a DHL package from Germany that was shipped on November 3rd. It took nearly THREE MONTHS to arrive here in the US. As of the beginning of the year, DHL stopped its domestic (US) package delivery service, so I'm surprised you get anything at all via DHL these days. :)

..Al

For the record, I only just yesterday received a DHL package from Germany that was shipped on November 3rd. It took nearly THREE MONTHS to arrive here in the US. As of the beginning of the year, DHL stopped its domestic (US) package delivery service, so I'm surprised you get anything at all via DHL these days. :)

A few weeks ago I received my EPROM burner and UV EPROM Eraser, both from Germany, both delivered via DHL, within 4 days of my order. Maybe I just got lucky.

--Selgus

..Al

Better late than never! ;)

My 2600 VCS game Project I arrived today from Simon Quernhorst. I used to own a 7800 but sold it several years ago. This is the first game I bought to re-start my collection for the VCS. I'm not sure what model VCS to get yet. I think price will play a big part.

The Project I package is very impressive and all looks well built and professional. I'm really looking forward to playing it.

As you can see from the photo. ;)

IProject.jpg

Anybody else on here got this or any other of Simons releases?