IGNORED

Flap Ninja for Atari 2600 in Development (+DEMO) FINISHED

Flap Ninja is based on the game Flappy Bird, but since Flappy Bird already exists for the Atari 2600, this one will have more content, such as possibly avoiding shurikens and similar obstacles.

I hope it will work on the Atari 2600 as well as on Stella because I've added a few tricks for the graphics.

niflap.thumb.jpg.3cc568ecfc9c44f4ff64e86f468299d5.jpg

FlapNinjaDemoNTSCo.bin FlapNinjaDemoPAL60.bin

Edited by kikipdph
  • Like 8

If you want to try the DEMO of the game Flap Ninja, you can download it here. The demo has not been tested on the Atari 2600, and the full game with more levels is still in development. The demo is essentially Flappy Bird, but every 5 pipes passed, the gap between the pipes decreases by 1 pixel, so the DEMO can be considered a complete game, i.e., a second version. :)

FlapNinjaDemoNTSCo.bin FlapNinjaDemoPAL60.bin

Edited by kikipdph
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2024 at 1:46 PM, kikipdph said:

If you want to try the DEMO of the game Flap Ninja, you can download it here. The demo has not been tested on the Atari 2600, and the full game with more levels is still in development. The demo is essentially Flappy Bird, but every 5 pipes passed, the gap between the pipes decreases by 1 pixel, so the DEMO can be considered a complete game, i.e., a second version. :)

DEMO NTSC AND PAL VERSION (NOT TESTED ON ATARI 2600)

FlapNinjademoNTSC.bin 32 kB · 13 downloads FlapNinjademoPAL.bin 32 kB · 6 downloads

Tried to play the PAL version with my Harmony cartridge on real Atari PAL light sixer: after pressing button it always „resets“ and shows the title screen - no playing possible. 

Update: also with PlusCard and PAL or NTSC version 

Edited by Bomberman94
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bomberman94 said:

Tried to play the PAL version with my Harmony cartridge on real Atari PAL light sixer: after pressing button it always „resets“ and shows the title screen - no playing possible. 

Update: also with PlusCard and PAL or NTSC version 

NOT TESTED ON ATARI 2600) :)
Unfortunately, there is some bug with the bank switching that Stella doesn't recognize but the Atari 2600 does. I haven't figured out what the problem is yet, but I should receive an Atari 2600 in mid-July, so I will be able to solve the problems myself then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2024 at 10:10 PM, kikipdph said:

Unfortunately, there is some bug with the bank switching that Stella doesn't recognize but the Atari 2600 does

I tried this on the Gopher2600 emulator, and it thankfully behaves like a console. Hopefully this can help debug it. I also tried Stella with developer mode, and couldn't get it to behave the same. 

2 hours ago, MarcoJ said:

I tried this on the Gopher2600 emulator, and it thankfully behaves like a console. Hopefully this can help debug it. I also tried Stella with developer mode, and couldn't get it to behave the same. 

The installation for Gopher2600 won't start on my computer. I'll try later on my laptop.

The full version of the game works without any issues on the Atari 2600. I haven't tried testing the demo because I assumed it would work since it is a shortened version of the full game. However, that bug occasionally appeared in some games, and I resolved it by simply rearranging the code.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcoJ said:

Excellent. win/win here. You get to debug, and the Stella team get a new test case. 

I have replaced the bin files with new ones that work on Gopher2600, and it should now work on the Atari console as well. However, I haven't tested the PAL version :) but it's just different colors.

In Gopher2600, I couldn't find where to speed up the emulation because everything is slow for me right now.

ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing the Exclusive Final Build of Flap Ninja on Tuesday's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Games:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kikipdph said:

I have replaced the bin files with new ones that work on Gopher2600, and it should now work on the Atari console as well

Confirmed, just tested it on PlusCart and it's making it to gameplay now.

• Like 3