IGNORED

Retrogaming Times Monthly #35 Published

RetrogamingMonthly.jpgThe April 2007 issue of the Retrogaming Times Monthly is now online for your reading pleasure. Highlights from Issue #35 include:
  • Many Faces of "Millipede"
  • Nintendo Realm - Mid April to Mid May 1986
  • NEScade - "Marble Madness"
  • Apple ][ Incider - Aztec, Archon & Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
  • Video Game Rock
  • Old Wine in New Bottles: Retrogaming on Modern Hardware
You can find all these and more inside the current issue of Retrogaming Times Monthly.

Tom Zjaba's article about Video Game Rock mentions that between Journey and MJ there were no other bands or music artists in Video Gaming.

This is not quite true (and I'm not talking homebrews or selfmade games, all these were from UK major software houses during the 80s (except that Beatles game, which I think was a USA release)):

The Beatles featured in a US game for the XL (source: Antic)

UK Frankie goes to Hollywood had their own video game on C64

UK The Stranglers also had their own game on Spectrum

UK Wham featured in a video game

UK Tubular Bells on C64

Freddy Mercury, Samantha Fox, and some more had video games in the 80s.

Residents (at least the VCS proto)

Edited by thomasholzer

There was a tidbit in the opening editorial that I hope gets fleshed out; the exploration of games that are popular in one region and unknown in another. I've found this aspect fascinating myself...

The UK software scene, in particular, seems to have generated a lot of smashes that never really became big in the US. Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner, the Dizzy series, Sensible Soccer. Hell, entire genres seemed to be big over there while never catching on big in the US (isometric adventures, for example). And of course Japan has more locally-popular/globally-unpopular niches than you can shake a stick at-- girlfriend sims, train sims, horse racing games.

It makes me wonder what happens when UK and Japanese folks look at US titles. What makes them say "Why that game?!"

Tom Zjaba's article about Video Game Rock mentions that between Journey and MJ there were no other bands or music artists in Video Gaming.

This is not quite true (and I'm not talking homebrews or selfmade games, all these were from UK major software houses (except that Beatles game, which I think was a USA release)):

The Beatles featured in a US game for the XL (source: Antic)

UK Frankie goes to Hollywood had their own video game on C64

UK The Stranglers also had their own game on Spectrum

UK Wham featured in a video game

UK Tubular Bells on C64

Freddy Mercury, Samantha Fox, and some more had video games in the 80s.

Residents (at least the VCS proto)

INXS/Marky Mark Make My Video for Sega CD :roll:

EDIT: okay, I know we all want to forget about those two games, but I guess the point was about the gap between JE and MJMW. Another post-MJMW game for the list is Aerosmith Revolution X.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

• 4 weeks later...
I noticed #36 was posted a couple days ago.

Yes, I need to post news about that. I'm a bit backlogged on news items because of all the time spent getting those Adventure II orders out this week. Right now I'm working through a long list of forum issues to fix from the ugprade a week ago. Making good progress on that..

..Al