IGNORED

ARAnyM Version 0.8.5beta Released

Albert

AtariFalcon.jpgVersion 0.8.5beta of ARAnyM (Atari Running on Any Machine) is now available for downloading. ARAnyM is a virtual machine for running the Atari ST/TT/Falcon operating systems and has been ported to a wide variety of computing platforms. AFROS 0.8.5 (Atari FRee Operating System), a free Atari ST operating system designed to work with ARAnyM, has also been released. You can view the latest news and download the latest source code and binaries at the ARAnyM Home Page.

ARAnyM is largely a virtual environment for running ST applications rather than a full blown emulator like STeem. Whereas STeem emulates the entire hardware setup down to the processor, ARAnyM basically just emulates the operating system itself. That's what I've gathered, at least. I wouldn't expect to run any games via ARAnyM anytime soon.

ARAnyM is largely a virtual environment for running ST applications rather than a full blown emulator like STeem. Whereas STeem emulates the entire hardware setup down to the processor, ARAnyM basically just emulates the operating system itself. That's what I've gathered, at least. I wouldn't expect to run any games via ARAnyM anytime soon.

I guess there's one way I can find out....

My question, though , is that if you can't run ST stuff on it, then one might as well install OpenGEM or FreeGem on your PC.

It should be a virtual machine not ordinary emulator. In fact it does not emulate exact Atari computer but it creates TOS/GEM environment for running Atari applications. It is open source and and what I know at this moment it runs under Linux, Windows, MacOS...

My question, though , is that if you can't run ST stuff on it, then one might as well install OpenGEM or FreeGem on your PC.

Ahhh, but it DOES run ST stuff (applications) on it. It's just not meant to "emulate" your original 1040ST, but to give you a newer and faster platform to run actual ST applications. Think more along the lines of Calamus SL and AtariWorks than Dungeon Master and Time Bandits.

Ahhh, but it DOES run ST stuff (applications) on it. It's just not meant to "emulate" your original 1040ST, but to give you a newer and faster platform to run actual ST applications. Think more along the lines of Calamus SL and AtariWorks than Dungeon Master and Time Bandits.

Well, I'll DL it tonight, and give ya a report on what happens. Curiosity has the better of me. :)

I guess there's one way I can find out....

Not exactly, OpenGEM can run only PC compiled apps, with ARAnyM you can run original Atari applications (compiled for 68k not for ix86). The compatibility issue is similar to compatibility with TTs or Falcons - clean GEM programs works fine.

look to STanda's ARAnyM page http://phoenix.inf.upol.cz/~opichals/aranym/index.html