IGNORED

Paul Slocum Releases Music CD

Albert

CabanaCD.jpgTree Wave, a two piece band from Texas that makes pop songs using obsolete computer and video game equipment as instruments, has released their first music CD, Cabana EP+. Paul Slocum, creator of the Atari 2600 Synthcart and Testcart, codes the music primarily on an Atari 2600, Commodore 64, Compaq 286, and Epson dot matrix printer, and Lauren Gray adds lush vocals. You can listen to two of the Cabana EP+ tracks as well as purchase the CD here, and can visit the Tree Wave web site to learn more about the band. If you're in Austin, Texas Sunday night (June 20th), you can see Tree Wave perform at the Spider House Cafe.

codes the music primarily on an {snip} Epson dot matrix printer,

This has me intruiged? Are there samples of a dot matrix printer punching away in the tunes or something?

I don't think it's used in all the songs, but it is one of the dominant beats in the song Sleep. You can learn more on Paul's Dot Matrix Synth page, along with additional audio samples. It is pretty damn cool. :)

..Al

And now, a pedantic moment:

Does the word "piece" in "two piece band" refer to the number of people, or the number of instruments? I always thought a "three piece band" was talking about drums, bass and guitar, and not the number of musicians, though it's generally the same. Do vocals count as a "piece"? Maybe Treewave could be considered a four or five piece - the Atari 2600, the C64, the "portable computer", the printer, the vocals...

BTW, I totally love "Sleep" by Treewave, one of my favourite songs at the moment. Right up there with "Moonglow" by Bud Melvin.

Ha, I guess that's true. Although when we play live, as far as what we actually play, on many songs each of us play a Commodore 64 (we have two C64s). So it's kind of accurate.

About the printer: 3 of the songs use the printer quite a bit (including Sleep). But they are not printer samples, the printer is actually programmed with sequences which are recorded in realtime.

-paul

I just DLed the two free tracks this afternoon and this stuff is AMAZING!  Very well done Paul!!  Gonna have to pick up that CD.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes, I agree. I think I'll get the CD as well.

Is the girl who sings Paul's significant other?

Thread: Homestar run, run,

..Al

Ah yes, sorry about that. Didn't see the thread.

Delay or no delay, I look forward to the HSR RPG! Paul, take your time on this one! :)

If you like good stuff made with outdated stuff, consider also Optiganally Yours, made with a bizzare Mattel Optigan organ that takes software discs from the 70s and Rob Crow/Guitar. Check out www.optigan.com

Now to get this dang computer at work to download OGG so I can get more from the Observatory site.

I received my copy of Cabana EP+ (and a red Climber 5 :) ) on Wednesday. I've given the CD a couple of listens, once in my car and once on my computer at work.

I do rather like it so far. My only complaint is in the mix - Lauren's voice seems to get swallowed by all the instruments; it's hard to make out what she's saying.

All the same, this is quite an achievement. Congrats to Paul, Lauren, and all else who made it happen.

I often like the vocals to sit in the mix even with the other instruments, so that the voice becomes like another instrument. Although I think our vocals are actually more intelligable than some of the influences I'm drawing on (like My Bloody Valentine's Loveless).

If you want a copy of the lyrics, I can email them to you:

paul at treewave dot com

-paul