IGNORED

VSX Release 2

~llama

hey everybody, sorry i've been kinda quiet lately but i've worked everything out and command line support is working flawlessly :)

now i've got to track down the emulation bugs remaining (are there problems with Dreadnaught Factor? i've never played a working one :? ) and work on the upper fire button thing that's still there...

but all of you who wanted command line support have it here. Details are in the readme.

its in the same directory as the emulator...

http://www.cinemafia.net/kevcave/vsx/

:D im just messing with all the button mapping now, thats the one interface thing left which i dont like.

the code is kind of a mess from where i just ripped out most of the non-5200 stuff. As i come across things that are left in there that dont do anything, i remove them... if anybody wants to help me PM me and we'll work together, i dont really know what im doing in terms of the emulation stuff, but my goal was to turn Atari800Win into a 5200 emulator only and i think ive accomplished that for the most part...

I've been meaning to ask for help for a while but... i was busy ripping out interface guts :P

One thing i would like to ask is this:

is Kaillera necessary for a 5200 emulator?

does anyone expect to get anything at all out of having Kaillera support built into the emulator? because if not i'm itching to rip it out.

thanks Al for the frontpage update :)

~llama, thank you once again for VSX32 - Great to see the interest in a stand-alone 5200 emulator. Command Line support works great - except for one problem...

...Every ROM loaded prompts you with a Window to select what "cartridge type" (Either One Chip or Two Chip). This screws up front-end support for the emulator. Is it possible to either have all cartridges loaded to default to "Two Chip" type when loading through the command line?

Although perhaps not 'technically' accurate, selecting Two Chip cartridge type loads all the ROMs fine. However, obviously selecting One Chip when the original cartridge had Two Chips causes the emulator to crash.

Thanks again for this fantastic project and your generosity in sharing with the emulation community.

i'll see what i can do about that later tonight, ive got some other things going on right now...

but as for the thanks, theyre really not warranted, Atari800 and Atari800Win PLus did most of the work, i just turned it into a stnadalone 5200 emu... I'm continuing to find things that can be removed and so thats still what i'm doing with the code at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin,

I just tried using this emulator, and I'm having some major problems with the program. I'm not sure why. I believe I have an OK system ROM image, but my computer freezes up when I try to load any game. It might be the same problem as what was described in an earlier post in this thread...not sure.

Anyway, the Atari logo screen starts up for a short time, but shows no game title and only has "19__" in the copyright. Then it freezes soon afterwards.

Hi again,

I finally got this thing to work. I used the setup wizard again, and the 5200 ROM thingy seemed to do fine with it now. I did notice, however, that making the screen size different has caused my computer to totally freeze up a couple of times. Has anyone else noticed this?

I just played Blaster for the first time last night. Wow! I just love games like this (similar to Space Dungeon, I suppose) where you shoot about everything and the screen is just a mess of debris half the time! If only I could obtain a real cartridge of it...

sorry its taken so long to reply, i was out of town until late last night.

the problem you were having probably had something to do with the cartridge ROM image being loaded before startup, it's very picky about that...

this resizing issue is news to me though, are you in GDI mode or DirectDraw? when i get a chance later today i'll see if i can reproduce any sort of problem by resizing the window... interesting. thanks for the input :)

To answer your question, I have no idea if my computer uses GDI or DirectDraw. How do you find out?

I will admit that my computer doesn't exactly work the greatest. It very well could be me...or, that is, my computer.