IGNORED

Adventure II relaunch

Cafeman

YES!!!

I've really been looking forward to this one. It's the reason I decided to get a 5200. And now that I have two working controllers, I gots ta have this 'un!

And there's going to be a version of Adventure II on the Flashback 2.0? Wow! That's a jawdropper!

I'm glad you're going to be at the Oklahoma Videogame Expo, showing off the latest version. Last year, I couldn't get past a certain point on the game, and I occasionally came across odd bugs. I am incredibly happy that you've gotten it close to completion. Adventure on the 2600 is the kind of game that I could play over and over and over, and not get bored. I'm really glad that the legacy of Adventure is being carried on.

:thumbsup:

Edited by SteveW

This is indeed GREAT news. Hopefully it is a sign that the new Atari is trying to mend fences with the comunity that has kept the name and the hobby alive for them.

I may even consider buying a flashback2 when it comes available!!

So, the BIG question...when wil the game be completed? Maybe you should dedicate yourself to this project 24/7 and get it done before Atari changes thier minds back! :ponder:

This is indeed GREAT news.... So, the BIG question...when wil the game be completed?  Maybe you should dedicate yourself to this project 24/7 and get it done before Atari changes thier minds back!

Thanks all. I assure you all, I am well aware that I have totally missed all my prior guestimates of Adventure II's completion. The lack-of-time and "Atari" issues are behind me now and I'm in the home stretch. As the site says, summer/fall 2005. That's as accurate as I can get right now!

My question is: How does Atari allowing the name "Adventure II" benefit them? Really, that's the only reason they would do it. Maybe they're allowing it just to appease the Atari faithful, but I'm hoping it means there will be a Flashback 3.0 that includes 5200 games and a few homebrews. :D

My question is: How does Atari allowing the name "Adventure II" benefit them? Really, that's the only reason they would do it. Maybe they're allowing it just to appease the Atari faithful, but I'm hoping it means there will be a Flashback 3.0 that includes 5200 games and a few homebrews.  :D

869752[/snapback]

It probably *is* to appease the Atari faithful. Not everyone is as stubborn as me, but after forcing AA to remove the hacks and some of the homebrews (Castle Crisis, etc) and were strongarming Cafeman from using the word "Adventure" I made it a point to AVOID Atari products. From the first flashback to the games they make for current systems I go out of my way to avoid thier products. I'm sure many others did as well. A LOT of people here were pissed at Atari and rightly so. Of course they have the right to "protect" thier copyright, but in doing so they did themselves more harm than good imo. This move and the inclusion of members of the community with the FB2 goes a long way imo towards reconciling.

Just guessing, the number of atari faithful who might avoid buying Atari

products out of dissatisfaction with Atari's practices is probably quite small.

Maybe in the 1000's? The number of possible buyers for a system like the

Flashback should be in the millions. The market for new retro-themed

games is not dominated by the sort of people who visit AtariAge. So I doubt

that there has been any measurable economic effect on Atari for being unfriendly

to the homebrew scene.

My guess would be that either: 1) Now that classic products like the Flashback

are starting to generate a bit of revenue for Atari there are people in management

or on the legal team who are more aware of or more tolerant of the homebrew

scene. or 2) Atari figures that new products for its old consoles might generate

useful "buzz" and possibly be useful additions for a future flashback-type system.

After, you can only cash in on the same titles so many times without sprinking

in a few titles people haven't seen before. Unreleased games can serve that

purpose, but they are in very limites supply and many of them may not be all

that great. Homebrews could serve as a great supply for novel, quality games

for future retro-collections.

Didn't Activision include several homebrew's on its retro-collections?

--The Eidolon

I've had dreams where atari started to allow something like this. My guess is they'll include homebrews on future flashback type units. I mean think about it, the games will be developed by people who love the system and will ask nothing in return other than selling a few carts at expos, and Atari gets to put new games on the old consoles, probably for cheap or free. Also, Atari gets to talk in magazines about what homebrews are and gets to claim that their old system spawns the most homebrew and hack eforts. Before you know it they are championing homebrews as if they invented them, and they get to wirte stuff like "includes three new homebrews" on future units. Seems like a good strategy that will cost them next to nothing.

Edited by Atarifever