IGNORED

ColecoVision 128-in-1 Flash Cart Now Available!

classics

I'm happy to announce that pre-ordering is now available for the ColecoVision 128-in-1 Flash Cartridge with USB interface!

coleco_large.jpg

The ColecoVision 128-in-1 Flash Cartridge is a professionally produced Flash Multi-Cart with on screen menu software and a fast USB flash programming interface.

The cartridge includes Multi-Cart Studio software and custom device drivers for Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows ME and Windows 98.

Open source command line software for all systems running libusb is now being tested and is expected to be available soon.

Pre-ordering begins now, with shipments starting 3/07/2006.

Pre-order pricing is $129.99 per cartridge for the first 100 cartridges.

For complete product information and the order form go to:

http://www.atarimax.com/usbcoleco/documentation/

Highlights:

:arrow: Adding or replacing a game is as easy as dropping the rom image into the slot you want and pressing the 'Synchronize' button.

:arrow: Adding one or two ROM images typically takes 4-6 seconds and your ColecoVision on-screen menu is automatically updated!

:arrow: On screen menu software is 100% field upgradeable.

:arrow: A reset button on the cartridge means you can always return to the games menu without turning the system off and on.

:arrow: Each cartridge includes its own unique internal serial number that is displayed each time you plug the cartridge into your PC.

The kit includes everything you need to get started:

kit_small.jpg

:arrow: 128-in-1 USB Flash Cartridge

:arrow: USB Interface Cable

:arrow: Software Installation CD with drivers.

Please note that this cartridge is shipped blank, you must obtain your own game rom images from the various homebrew and emulator sites.

Edited by classics

Pre-order pricing is $129.99 per cartridge for the first 100 cartridges.

So is the second batch any cheaper? :twisted:

I wish I could work it that way. :)

*sigh*

Phew... even if I had that much money, I guess I'd buy me a Nintendo DS then. I'd love to have one for development though... no chance for a contest or so, where I could win one? ;)

I'd love to have one for development though... no chance for a contest or so, where I could win one? ;)

1015886[/snapback]

A contest eh... hmm.. not a bad idea. :D Maybe I can come up with something.

Steve

1015938[/snapback]

Why not whoever writes the best Colecovision game wins a multicart?

Allan

So has it been tested on an Adam or are those just some pretty words on the label?  :)

1015940[/snapback]

@oesii; I believe doubledown and David Harley have both successfully tested it on a couple of Adam consoles, as well as some compatibles like the Dina.

@allan; Sounds like fun. Some new mini-games would be cool. :D

You only accept payments through Paypal? Hmmm... Could you be persuaded to accept a money order in US funds, drawn on a US bank?  :)

@pixelboy; Absolutely, just drop me a PM and I'll send you payment details. A Canadian postal money order is fine too. :)

Steve

I'd love to have one for development though... no chance for a contest or so, where I could win one? ;)

1015886[/snapback]

Steve

1015938[/snapback]

Allan

1015941[/snapback]

Yeah, but then only Opcode would get one!

JR

1015886[/snapback]

Steve

1015938[/snapback]

Allan

1015941[/snapback]

Yeah, but then only Opcode would get one!

JR

1016230[/snapback]

:D

Maybe it should be for people who have never written a game before. But that might not be fair either. I don't know.

It's up to Steve anyways.

Allan

I'm happy to announce that pre-ordering is now available for the ColecoVision 128-in-1 Flash Cartridge with USB interface!

Maybe you adressed this. But I didn't see it asked.

What is the max size of the games that can be stored? Say for example that I wanted to store 128 64Kb games.. or maybe some ADAM games, like DK and DKjr, Super Zaxxon, etc... OPCODE is promising bigger games. Will this cart support those and the bankswitch schemes?

Secondly, why only 128 games? Why not size the cart to fit the entire library and then some for future expansion?

I've always wanted a Cuttle Cart for the CV. This is pretty close, but not quite there.

Thanks,

-Lee

What is the max size of the games that can be stored? Say for example that I wanted to store 128 64Kb games.. or maybe some ADAM games, like DK and DKjr, Super Zaxxon, etc...

Each cartridge slot is 32k max, as thats the most you can directly address with the lines on the ColecoVision cartridge port. Anything over 32k requires bank switching just like a regular ColecoVision cart.

OPCODE is promising bigger games. Will this cart support those and the bankswitch schemes?

Hard to say, are there any bank switched roms over 32k even available now? You can switch between banks while the cartridge is running, so its possible to use all 127 free banks for one game, but the cartridge has its own bank switching scheme.

I was able to adapt Bryan's 64k M.U.L.E. conversion for the 5200 into a two bank entry for the 5200 version of the cartridge, so it might be possible. Hard to guess what will be done with future titles right now. :D

Secondly, why only 128 games? Why not size the cart to fit the entire library and then some for future expansion?

Bascially to leverage parts of the existing 5200 hardware design, which was also for 128 32k banks, so that the final cost would not increase.

Steve

Edited by classics

1016377[/snapback]

I did a quick look, and if you get rid of the educational and kiddie games you can just about fit all the Colecovision games on the cart. I refined the list further by removing sports games and I was able to add all the prototypes as well.

Tempest

OPCODE is promising bigger games. Will this cart support those and the bankswitch schemes?

Hard to say, are there any bank switched roms over 32k even available now? You can switch between banks while the cartridge is running, so its possible to use all 127 free banks for one game, but the cartridge has its own bank switching scheme.

I was able to adapt Bryan's 64k M.U.L.E. conversion for the 5200 into a two bank entry for the 5200 version of the cartridge, so it might be possible. Hard to guess what will be done with future titles right now. :D

1016404[/snapback]

You might want to compare notes with Opcode. If the bankswitching PCB prototype he's using for Pac-Man Collection is too different from you cart's, then perhaps two different bankswitching schemes can be devised and documented for the benefit of homebrew developers. For one thing, your USB cart seems like it would be very useful for certain types of games, like Bruce Tomlin's RPG project. :)