IGNORED

Nintendo's Wii = Not for Me. How about you?

Flojomojo

At first, I was so psyched to see Nintendo breaking the mold and trying something other than CPU power and media center hype. I've been following all the hype surrounding the Wii, but as much as I like Nintendo, I just can't get excited about this machine. I even went so far as to go to Circuit City at opening time today -- I had a $40 coupon and the big relaunch was supposed to be today. I was thinking I'd snag a machine and get some rentals from GameFly to see what the fuss was about. It was the same old story from the last two months -- all the systems were sold out an hour before the store opened. What's going on here? It would seem that the "hardcore" fan, those waiting out in the January cold for this machine, is more into casual gaming than me. Am I just spoiled and jaded because I've seen/already bought this stuff already?

As far as I can tell, the main attraction of the Wii is the motion-sensing controller, and the promise of Nintendo software support for the next 5 years or so. Is that enough? Here are my personal reasons for not being so into it:

1. Availability: Sold out everywhere. Major hassle to get a machine, and I hear it's the same for HD cables and controllers, too. Meh.

2. Price: $250 for the machine seems a bit high for what's included. The $40 off coupon was almost enough to get me over my ennui, but #1 interfered. Maybe I'll jump in when they bundle an extra controller and another game.

3. Commitment: I already have a GameCube and a lot of games. The Wii is backwards compatible, but since I already have a system for those games, what do I care?

4. Compatibility: My GameCube can play GameBoy games. The Wii can't.

5. Classic: I have Zelda for Cube but haven't found the time to get into it yet. :(

6. Gameplay: I think of gaming as a chillout activity. Waving sticks around may not be for me. Early adopters pleas tell me -- is it still fun?

7. Emulators: The Virtual Console is a neat idea, but it's too little, too late for me. I have all the emulators I can eat already, and their variety stomps all over the VC's offerings. Maybe if Nintendo offered an unlimited buffet of titles for a flat fee, I'd be more into it, but I can't help feeling like I already have all this stuff.

8. Library: Initial round of Wii-exclusive software fails to turn me on, and the multi-platform games look better elsewhere. Double meh.

9. Online: It sounds like online functionality is seriously crippled. Friend codes like DS instead of unified online identity like XBOX? No competitive or co-op play online? I admit I don't have a lot of gaming buddies, but having to gather everyone in the same room is so Nintendo 64, don't you think? Meh meh meh.

10. Controllers: Seems like this system would be an Odyssey-style accessory hell. Many games require a specific kind of controller, and all the wires and connections don't seem like much fun to me.

I think a lot of these factors are more about me than about Nintendo. If I wasn't stuffed with other gaming systems, Wii would be a casual, fun system to own. But then I wouldn't be one of those people waiting out in the cold, you know? I just don't understand. Can someone from the chorus of the faithful comment on this?

:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

As far as I can tell, the main attraction of the Wii is the motion-sensing controller . . .

Motion sensing is OK, but I want motion sensing and Force Feedback and voice recognition. I also want the option to turn it all off and go back to my Xbox controller. Speaking of things like Force Feedback, the next stage that I'm looking forward to is a virtual reality suit with built-in motion sensing and Force Feedback. After that, I want a Holodeck.

Back to the Wii, you can already get a repetitive stress injury playing with a regular controller, but constantly playing with your Wii would surely give you more chances to injure yourself. You don't have to be psychic to envision all of the upcoming lawsuits.

The Wii is not for me, especially since I hate those squashed down little 'cutesy' characters that Nintendo and Japan is famous for. They're usually ugly to me, not cute. Nintendo can shove their supposedly cute, big eyed, Manga/Anime looking ugly garbage. I won't buy a Nintendo console until their Manga/Anime looking game characters look more like this and less like this.

I'll get one, but not gonna kill myself for it. In a month or two it will be everywhere.

I have to give Nintendo credit though -- they did a friggen good job launching Wii compared to the GameCube. And I bet Microsoft and Sony are probably secretly going "we shouldn't have written them off".

Come to Germany, lots of Wiis in the shops.

As for Emulators on the Wii, I think Nintendo just wants to get one up on the torrents, yes, too little to late.

For me, it's the batteries needed, I mean come on, I already need batteries for my cell phone, PDA, GBs, 50 or so TV/DVD/VCR//Laserdisc/CDi player remotes etc...

so to put even more in your joystick, no thank you. I don't even use wireless keyboard/mouse.

i still get one though, even if i wont play it much.

Edited by thomasholzer

You want the wii to come with 2 games and two controllers? I think we're far removed from those days. Accessories aren't hard to come by anymore-I've seen cables, I've seen controllers, I've seen nunchuks, in stores in fairly good quantities. The system itself is still a pain to find.

"Waving sticks around" as you so put it, is still fun. Hell it's arguably more fun for a number of games, particularly when playing with friends. And it's not like you have to move it a hell of a lot. Hell, I barely moved more than my wrist in Zelda. To that end I think it'd be hard to go back to Zelda games where I have to push buttons to use my sword.

The crippling of the online is questionable at this time, since as far as I know only Pokemon Revolution in Japan, and Elebits, have any sort of online functionality so far. Nintendo was slow in sending out the online developers kits, apparently.

Can't argue the multiplatform visual side of things, although I hear Madden on Wii was far and away the best version this year, and it comes down to the controls.

I'm not sure what you mean by all the wires and connections for the controllers, though. They're wireless. The only time you're dealing with any wires is when you're using gamecube controllers, or if you need the nunchuk for a game(which isn't every game, either). And to that end, how you'd manage to get nunchuk cords tangled is beyond me considering it's meant to be held in your offhand.

You really need to try the thing out before making judgements. It's a very cool little machine, with plenty of potential for quality games. Considering what's been announced already for this coming year, it looks like that bit is covered as well.

To me the Wii is like the Hungry Hungry Hippos of the 3 new systems, fun to break out and play if there are people over at the house for sure, but usually when I'm by myself I'd rather play with the 360 then play with my Wii.

You know you play with your wii every night...........

Screw that. Gimme the Wii. I think anyone passing up any console probably just doesn't like videogames as much as I do. Simple ;)

Now if the Wii was 6-700 bucks like the PS3, I'd balk (as much as I'd want it). But it's a piddly $250. So no excuse there for me to not get it. Yes I do want a PS3 and am balking. But who knows how long that'll last. It'll only take one amazing game :P

"Waving sticks around" as you so put it, is still fun. Hell it's arguably more fun for a number of games, particularly when playing with friends.

I guess it's too soon for the novelty to wear off ... especially since I haven't been to a Wii party yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by all the wires and connections for the controllers, though. They're wireless. The only time you're dealing with any wires is when you're using gamecube controllers, or if you need the nunchuk for a game(which isn't every game, either).

That's what I'm getting at -- it seems a bit to Famicom-ey for me. I like standard controllers without a lot of fuss. With Wii, it seems like you'd be hooking and unhooking the nunchuck controllers and GameCube controllers all the time when switching between games.

You really need to try the thing out before making judgements. It's a very cool little machine, with plenty of potential for quality games. Considering what's been announced already for this coming year, it looks like that bit is covered as well.

Yeah, I know ... I'm honestly trying to understand what the fuss is about, but I can't get my hands on a machine to play. Can I come over to your house sometime? :D :ponder: I'm sure there will be a big Costco bundle before summertime with a bunch of stuff in it that I won't be able to resist.

Except that it's still a PITA to find one. It's like Papa Nintendo doesn't want me to have one until I clear out every last square on the Wario Ware grid.

Yeah but that won't last in the big picture. I'll resurrect this thread Jan 2008 and I'll be it'll be a different story. And who knows, that may just be the time when I pick up the PS3 :D

I'm sorry you had trouble getting a Wii. :sad:

I was hoping everyone who wanted one got one today. My local Target had 36, but there were only 18 people around to get tickets. More people showed up at opening and had to wait in line for those with tickets to finish getting theirs. But from what I could tell, it looks like there was enough for everyone who showed up.

Or in the immortal words of Stephen Colbert, "Guess what nerds? I gots me one!" :P

I will say that if you already have a Gamecube, I think you'll do just as well to wait. The software library for the Wii itself is still pretty small, though it will be increasing in the not-too-distant future. But if you don't have a GCN, picking up a bunch of cheap, used games is a great way to get the most out of your system immediately.

I've already whipped out Starfox Assault, Metroid Prime, DK: Jungle Beat, and will be getting to F-Zero GX shortly. I'm just in awe at how great these games look on my LCD screen, and how many incredible effects I didn't even know the GCN was capable of! DK: Jungle Beat in particular looks almost good enough to have been pre-rendered! (Not to mention that the Bongo controls make it a very interesting game indeed.) On top of everything, the sound coming out of my rinky-dink speakers is just amazing! I don't think I've ever heard such vibrant sound coming from them before!

Long story short, if you've got the previous gen GCN, you're not losing too much by waiting. If you don't have the previous gen machine, then the Wii is an excellent option that will help offset its cost with cheap entertainment from the GCN and Virtual Console. :cool:

Count me in as one of the guys who isn't that impressed by the Nintendo Wii. I've found that the Wiimote doesn't feel as natural or work as well as people would have you believe. On top of that, it's just not necessary for a game like Zelda: Twilight Princess... it actually obfuscates the gameplay rather than bringing depth to it. I have to do WHAT to stab at an enemy? Would you like me to juggle some chainsaws while I'm at it?

Nintendo's still got time to turn things around, but their business strategy worries me. The Wii seems more like a continuation of the GameCube than its own unique game system... there are even games like Happy Feet, Billy and Mandy, and Rampage: Total Destruction that are being ported directly to the Wii, and are almost identical to their GameCube counterparts.

JR

The system isn't a novelty. 2 months of hardcore playing from me proves it can't be a novelty. The controller issue, well, there isn't one yet. So far all games use the Wiimote/nunchuk or a GC controller. You would have them both. When/If they FORCE you to buy a VC controller, that's when I will be upset. To unhook and rehook a nunchuk to the Wiimote when going from Tennis to Boxing... it takes all of 10 seconds. If you leave your GC controller plugged in to your Wii much like you leave it plugged into your GC, you will have no problems.

The price issue irked me at first, but then I realized that I am loving the launch games and it can only go up. Think of it this way. You could buy a PS3 and it'd be a steal in price for what you get hardware wise (of course it's a piece of crap, but just for argument here). But, if you use and enjoy my Wii as much as a PS3, well then even if it seems a bit overpriced hardware wise, it's still an astronomically better deal.

As for the Wii being hard to find... well... that's not a bad thing. More sales equals more support. I camped out in the cold Canadian winter for 9.5 hours (unprepared, I might add, I literally just about froze), and I can say it was worth the wait.

One thing I don't get is when gamers say they think gaming as more chilled or relaxed, I've never seen a guy playing a game that was relaxing! It's more like cursing and swearing when they get stuck or being so into boss battles there's no relaxation at all! I played through Zelda just shaking my Wiimote, being tired isn't an issue.

I've had mine since launch day and am still playing it daily and enjoy the heck out of the system. But I'm still not sure how big a continued success the Wii will be because so much of the success of the Wii (or any system) depends on 3rd party support.

As I said in another post, games intended for the Wii (Elebits, Trauma Center, Smooth Moves, Excite Truck) seem to work really, really well with the controller set up and are incredibly fun to play. But ports of games (Call of Duty 3, Need for Speed, Rampage, etc) don't work anywhere near as well and the control scheme seems more of a "tacked on" affair than an enhancement to gameplay. Even Wii-Zelda doesn't feel that improved upon over the GC version (and I've played both versions).

NOTE: I'll also play devils advocate, though, and say that from what I've read on several websites. developers got their Wii systems late in the year and not too far from the launch window and thus may not have been that familiar with the system when they released their launch titles. Given more time to play around with the Wii and understand the controls better, 3rd party releases may take much more advantage of the Wii control scheme and be much more enjoyable.

As for online gameplay, I don't think anyone really knows what Nintendo has planned for its online gaming system. There is a lot of speculation going on but I don't believe anyone has seen or played any online games. Sure, Pokemon is out in Japan and does have some online gaming, but I don't believe anyone knows if this is Nintendo's final vision of what online gaming is to be. AND..... if Friend Codes and limited online gameplay is what Nintendo intends for the Wii, then I really don't know why anyone would be shocked, because this is exactly the system you got with the DS. Did anyone truly believe that Nintendo would do a 180degree turnabout and incorporate a Xbox Live system into the Wii?

As for VC games, I will say the U.S. selection of VC games has been dreadful compared to what is available on the Japanese VC list. Hopefully, the selection of titles on the U.S. list will turn more to "A" titles rather than Urban Champion, Xevious, Ice Hockey, and Baseball.

Overall, I'm not disappointed at all with the Wii and am having a lot of fun with it. The controls work fine on some games, not so good on others. I enjoyed quite a few launch titles and I'm getting really pumped up over some of the upcoming titles: Sonic (I've seen the video's and it appears that Sega just MIGHT have gotten it together for this version compared to that piece of dung they released on the 360), Medal of Honor: Vanguard, Godfather, Mario Galaxy, Disaster, Resident Evil, Metroid, and Smash Bros. I didn't buy a Wii for online gameplay so I don't care what online system Nintendo puts into place. There are things I'd like to see changed and/or added to the Wii (such as demo downloads) and maybe in time they will be.

My biggest concern with the Wii continues to be 3rd party support: will the companies make games that actually USE the control scheme rather than just adding it on and will game sales be enough for developers to make a profit and continue with developing Wii titles. Without 3rd party support, the Wii will go down the road of the GC and thats a shame.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

As far as the controller goes, it works great, and is a blast to use. It is a different experience for sure, which is a good thing.

As far as emulation goes...its nice to have a couple of old school games to just pick up and play when you only have a few minutes, but thats about it. I really think that the virtual console is aimed at people who don't use or understand emulators on the pc etc. We are not the target audience.

Granted, I have only played three games (Trauma Center, Zelda, Wii Sports) but they have all been fun...thankfully not rehashed FPS games. My one big problem with my 360 is that all of the games are basically the same thing...FPS, Sports, or Action/Shooter with overgrown space marines. While I like those games in moderation, its nice to have something different.

I've said it before...I love the Wii, but not as a stand alone system. I really thing at this point people that are really into video games should have a Wii and a 360 for a complete current gen gaming experience.

I think a lot of these factors are more about me than about Nintendo. If I wasn't stuffed with other gaming systems, Wii would be a casual, fun system to own. But then I wouldn't be one of those people waiting out in the cold, you know? I just don't understand. Can someone from the chorus of the faithful comment on this?

If you don't own one or have not played one you have no clue what your talking about. The Wii is a great system all around. It's sold out because it's this good otherwise it would be stocked 5 feet high at every WalFart in the world.

I'm very excited for the Wii, although I've never actually had the opportunity to play one yet! Unlike NE1, I can't consider dropping $250 on anything to be "piddly." If I went out and bought one on impulse I'd have some 'splainin' to do. That said, I think if I actually FOUND one anywhere I'd probably snatch it up, put it on the credit card, and deal with the repercussions later.