IGNORED

Jumpman game contains two cassettes?

Ross PK

Oh the good old days of cassette. I started with a 400/410. Sold it for an 800/410 and added a 1050 a while later. What a difference!! Not many people know, but the 410 was a STEREO not mono deck. It used (I think) the left side for data and the right side could have audio. May be reverse, not sure... 27 years ago... Anyhow. Some of the Synapse games would give you nice music (audio recording) to listen to while the tape was loading.

Alot of Atari tapes did gave instructions while the game was loading. I can remember States and Capitals instructions all too well (when you got towards the end it would say that the game was almost ready). I found it really nice as a kid, but now it would probably annoy me. I remember I had a game called Big Math Attack (THESIS Software) that had a really nice piece of classical sounding music that would play while it was loading (a piano rag or something like that). Neat stuff.

Tempest

Not many people know, but the 410 was a STEREO not mono deck. It used (I think) the left side for data and the right side could have audio.

In theory that was a nice idea. In practice I doubt it was worth. Very few programs used that feature except some educational titles. Using mono would have likely made it more reliably. And considering how unreliably it was, any small improvement would be worth even at the cost of losing the audio channel.

The tape version has some LOOOONG load times and lacks the randomizer feature. You're much better off playing the disk version.

Tempest

My tape version has the randomizer feature. And yeah, it did take quite a while to load, but you know I think I'm begining to even like waiting for the games to load, it's part of the charm.

The tape version has some LOOOONG load times and lacks the randomizer feature. You're much better off playing the disk version.

Tempest

My tape version has the randomizer feature.

Maybe I'm thinking of the Grand Loop then.

Tempest

• 3 weeks later...

gobo, since you have the game as well, can you tell me whether the two cassette cases have ridges on the black plastic at the sides or whether they are smooth?

I'm being anal again but one of my cases is smooth while the other is ridged, so I'm sure one isn't the original, and the ridged one looks like someone has sandpapered the front, I wouldn't mind trying to replace it somehow.

It's cool you know because the game still has the Epyx Advertisment that came with it.

Sorry it took so long to answer. The tapes have no black plastic at the sides and there are no ridges. The tapes are both smooth and an off white color all over with labels only on 1 side each. They may have been whiter once and yellowed a little, not sure.

gobo, since you have the game as well, can you tell me whether the two cassette cases have ridges on the black plastic at the sides or whether they are smooth?

I'm being anal again but one of my cases is smooth while the other is ridged, so I'm sure one isn't the original, and the ridged one looks like someone has sandpapered the front, I wouldn't mind trying to replace it somehow.

It's cool you know because the game still has the Epyx Advertisment that came with it.

Sorry it took so long to answer. The tapes have no black plastic at the sides and there are no ridges. The tapes are both smooth and an off white color all over with labels only on 1 side each. They may have been whiter once and yellowed a little, not sure.

Lol, I was talking about the plastic boxes that they're in. But my tapes are yellowed too, together with the labels they look real oldskool.