IGNORED

Atari800WinPlus and Vista

GreenLeggite

Thats always the first thing I do when I upgrade operating systems, is try out all the emulators :)

It seems like such a waste. Shouldn't you be trying to slim down, and speed up and operating system? Rather than bloat it up and bog it down and increase the memory requirements just to run it properly.

My first Win XP machine had 256 megs, and now my 2nd machine with XP has 1 gig, and it runs fine. Why should I have to spend money on a whole gig more of memory just to upgrade?

Maybe in 6 months or a year it will be worth upgrading, when all the bugs are worked out, and most of the emulators work properly with Vista.

That's right. Stay with XP or switch to Linux. Atari800Win runs well in wine.

On Linux... why not run something native, that doesn't need an API translation layer? Atari++ and plain old Atari800 (without the Win) compile and run great on Linux.

Though I will admit to having run the Prosystem 7800 emulator on wine (because the only other choice I know of was MESS for Linux, and its 7800 emulation isn't so great).

Btw: What is the "modern" Mac anyway?

It's nothing but a slow PC, that runs a bit faster when using Vista instead of OsX.

:roll:

But what is Vista anyway?

It's nothing but an imitation of MacOSX Tiger.

:roll:

:P

Seriously, I have a G5 iMac, so no Vista on here for me, and it's faster than my wife's Core Duo PC.

But what is Vista anyway?

It's nothing but an imitation of MacOSX Tiger.

I'm not sure how anyone, who has something to do with oldschool computers, can say this.

Well, optically there are SOME similarities. Such things like the Sidebar or the search function are done before in Tools by users.... not first by Apple.

Generally, Windows has nothing to do with OsX. And that's a good thing, because Windows (Vista) is faster and has a wider range of available software.

And, what's the most important point: It is NOT from Apple.

And now, please back to topic.

It runs well on Vista 64 Bit.

Only problem here: The used type (file type registering) of writing into the registry is not allowed anymore.

Works fine here too (except for the registry thing). I installed Vista Enterprise on a Dual Xeon DC workstation. Sound and everything works quite nicely.

Also tested the VAPI patched version a bit, just booted the original protected Ninja disk and I'm listening to that funky music :cool:

I had a quick search, couldn't find a bug-report thread (for what it's worth).

Just discovered: fine scrolling in GTIA modes doesn't replicate real hardware. Pixels shift right and retain their original colour indexes.

Real machine: by the looks of it, GTIA still interprets the bitstream as it receives it, so pixel positioning is not changed but colour indexes are altered.

Windows does copy Mac OS. That is just a fact, plain and simple. Apple has always made quality hardware. Apple makes intel PC's now, just like everybody else. The only real comparison is between operating systems.

Look closer:

And: Apple doesn't make only Intel PC's . They make IMACs with full PC Hardware and call it same quality as ever.

Well, the conclusion is, that they never did any real good.

It runs well on Vista 64 Bit.

Only problem here: The used type (file type registering) of writing into the registry is not allowed anymore.

(

The registry problem seems to be solved, when starting the emulation with "Administrator" rights. (Compatibility mode).

When installing it, just put it one time on.

Afterwards, the emulator can register when starting it one time with admin rights.

Edited by emkay