IGNORED

Space Harrier Project Music.

Kjmann

I have Worked out the main Theme for The Space harrier XE Project that Chris Hutt Is Working on. I'm looking for Comments on what people think of the job i did on it. Here is an EXE File for the 8-bit to listen to the music. it works on an 8-bit or an EMU. Remember on thing though, I had to limit myself to only 3 voices so that chris could us the 4th voice for sound FX. I hope everyone likes it. I have Sent It to Chris for his approval/opinion.

Anyway here it is. =)

Sal (kjmann)

See this link for all my musics in the future

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...=102693&hl=

Edited by kjmann

Great effort! Thanks

In my opinion sound very heavy and loud (very pokey :D), I think in the game it will cover all the sound effects.

Personally Id prefer the soft melody that Chris use in the demo. Or better still, the Emkay version (but this melody use 4 voices)

Off course is my untrained personal musical opinion. Maybe if you get a light sound.

However I enjoy every Space Harrier melody I hear.

Almost Forgot Folks. You have to play this in 50Hz Mode on your emulators or it will play too fast. I did it in 50Hz because thats what chris is using.

Sal (kjmann)

PS. Here's the 4 channel version that i did. as you can tell, with the 4th channel to use i was able to do more with the harmony.

2-6-07 See new post at bottom of this thread for the latest attachment of the music. Post #18

Edited by kjmann

Sounds better :)

Chris could use the 4 channels for the music.

When it needs digital sound effects stop all the channels.

When it needs sound effects he could multiplexing (with VBI) the 4th channel (one for the music, one for the sound effects).

In the other side, you could reprogramming your music packing the 4 channels melodies into 3 channels.

@kjmann

what do you think about this one?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...st&id=62936

Well. For me, it sounds most reliable to the original soundtrack.

Only problem: it was taken from the Mod file that is available at www.modarchive.com, which has some lackings compared to the real arcade tune.

Edited by emkay

Full version is much better.

How about just having the game code "borrow" one of the voices for the SFX?

Or just tell him to do the SFX with CONSOL

I haven't tried this with RMT yet. It has a SFX feature, but I don't know how it works, or if it needs a separate channel.

Not sure what you mean about CONSOL?

If you mean use it similarly to a sample playback, then there isn't really time left in the code to do that. A lot of the SFX are high frequency and would need a high sample rate. There are a whole bunch of moving dlis going on and the main code is pretty tied up with drawing most of the time for something like a kernel.

If that's not what you meant, then I'm curious!

I've always liked the music that is currently in the demo. I agree with Allas. The smooth sound is very nice and unobtrusive. It also works well with the necessary sound effects. Some improvements could be made, but be careful what you call an improvement. Sometimes too much effort is made to make the Atari sound like an NES or C-64. Nice effort with the 4-channel version though...

@ sheddy

anyway I'm still wondering if you're still working on the Spaceharrier project. Any progress?

Yes, working on it regularly now - moving it over to work on Atarimax carts at the moment. maybe in a month or so, I'll be able to show a couple more stages.

@ sheddy

anyway I'm still wondering if you're still working on the Spaceharrier project. Any progress?

Yes, working on it regularly now - moving it over to work on Atarimax carts at the moment. maybe in a month or so, I'll be able to show a couple more stages.

Awesome! I love my Atarimax carts. First Sparta DOS X, and now this.

Stephen Anderson

OK Everyone, I have Taken Your Suggestions and this is what i have come up with. This Package has Both The 4 and 3 channel versions. tell me what you think. =) Your Comments just help me to strive to do better. And Remember, Your Have to run them in 50Hz for the speed (Tempo) to be right.

Sal (kjmann)

See this link for all my musics in the future

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...=102693&hl=

Edited by kjmann

I say just have the option to choose either sound effects or music only, like many other 8-bit and ST games, and/or interupt a music channel for sound effects ala 7800 Xevious, or best of all, have all these options available to the player; either 4 voice music with no sound fx, 3 voice music with 1 voice for sound effects, or 4 voice music with 1 voice interupted when sound effects play. Then you could also have better sound effects with multiple voices if someone chose the no-music option. I love the 8-bit games that let me choose between sound and music and I play them both ways on occasion! But whatever you decide, it will still ROCK!