IGNORED

Atari 7800 Power supply Alternatives

Skywalker

Hi,

I have had my Atari 7800 for a while now, unfortunatly I have never been able to play it because I don't have the power supply.

Does anyone know of another power source that is compatable to use for this system? Like a power supply from a telephone answering machine or other electronic device?

I want to play the 7800 but I cant.......... Please help.

Mabey some of you know how to modify the input or have some other alternatives?????????? :???:

I use my NES AC adapter. I had to install a new connector into the back of the unit, but it works great.

I wouldn't recommend doing this. Although they are the same voltage (9V) the NES adapter out is AC then 7800's is DC. It guess it works, but it's not good for the system.

The specs on the 7800 adaptor are:

Input: 120VAC 60Hz 15W

Output: 9VDC 1Amp

A replacement with these specs is not hard to find (I belive you can get them at Radio Shack), the problem is the connector. The connectors are hard to find but I have heard that they are used on some portable phone batteries. The other option is to modify your 7800 to put in a more standard power jack.

Dan

Mabey some of you know how to modify the input or have some other alternatives?????????? :???:

Ok, here's a sneaky trick that I discovered...

You can use the 2-pin connectors that are found on the inside of modern computers... Like the ones used for the reset button or power LED. It's a tight fit, but not too tight. I took a universal 1000mA power supply, and spliced one of these connectors into it, and now have a 7800/2600 suitable power supply. I recently picked up a universal from Wal-Mart, 3-12v@1000mA, and tons of different connectors, for about $10.

So there you have it. No more $20+ old power supplies!

Incidentally, I have a distrust for Atari power supplies... 1 out of every 2 2600 supplies I've encountered has been bad. And, I had a 5200 supply just die for no apparent reason (right in the middle of a good Star Raiders game too).

Mitch is correct in that the Sega Genesis Model 1 power supply is almost a dead match voltage wise for the 7800's needs.

I have modified one 7800 already using the 5mm barrel jack needed for one of these and attached it on a small strand of wire knotted to the board so it wouldn't come loose. That way I didn't have to remove the old connector and can still use that should I need to or find one.

The odd looking pig tail of wire coming out the back of the 7800 does look odd...but then who stares at the back of their consoles?! Besides...functionality take precedence over the athestics of the unit...does it not :?:

it was said by

You can use the 2-pin connectors that are found on the inside of modern computers... Like the ones used for the reset button or power LED. It's a tight fit, but not too tight. I took a universal 1000mA power supply, and spliced one of these connectors into it, and now have a 7800/2600 suitable power supply. I recently picked up a universal from Wal-Mart, 3-12v@1000mA, and tons of different connectors, for about $10.

I was wondering is there a particular 2 pin to use, I have been looking and can't find one. So any suggestions would be apperiated.

Thanks