doyman

Some possible future conversions were/are:

Encounter (16K cassette version)

Speedway Blast

Fort Apocalypse

Cosmic Tunnels

Oil's Well

Vegas Poker

Also, I didn't completely ignore the 5200 since I did do digital joystick hack for Gorf.

Any cartridge that requires only 16K of RAM or any 16K cassette game is a good candidate.

Someone get RAM working on a 5200 cart where the read/write addresses can be at the same address like someone has managed to do on the 2600, and a lot more stuff would be more easily possible.

--Ken

Edited by kenfused
  • Like 1

What I find funny in seeing a thread like this, is all the 5200 haters who claim the system sold so poorly because the initial releases were nothing but old tired arcade conversions already out of date or they were already done on the 2600. Yet, half the responses here are just that, people wanting to see how an arcade game would look and play on the 5200.

HHHmmmmm...

• Like 1

What I find funny in seeing a thread like this, is all the 5200 haters who claim the system sold so poorly because the initial releases were nothing but old tired arcade conversions already out of date or they were already done on the 2600. Yet, half the responses here are just that, people wanting to see how an arcade game would look and play on the 5200.

HHHmmmmm...

My suggestion: Get an Atari 800.

Anyway.

When I think of the 5200, I think of games that benefit from the unique part of the system, being the 360 directional controllers. Star Raiders and Space Dungeon rock on this system.

Hmmm... how about some RPG's, like RETURN OF HERACLES, or CAP'N MAGNETO from the early Macs? That would be the direction I would take.

• Like 1

HHHmmmmm...

My suggestion: Get an Atari 800.

Anyway.

When I think of the 5200, I think of games that benefit from the unique part of the system, being the 360 directional controllers. Star Raiders and Space Dungeon rock on this system.

Hmmm... how about some RPG's, like RETURN OF HERACLES, or CAP'N MAGNETO from the early Macs? That would be the direction I would take.

Ya, I definetly have an 800. But, for me the 5200 is more of a gaming maching. Yeah, that's nostalgia. My first 5200 was back in 82 (83?) when they first came out. My first 800 was 2 yrs ago. and, in addition to the games you mentioned, Centipede, Missile Command, and Robotron are awesome on the 5200 (see? again....arcade ports)

• Like 2

HHHmmmmm...

I wondered when/if someone would say this, as it what I was thinking when I posted it.

But it is consistent with how games come out.

How many different Mario Brothers games are there? How many Metroids, Castlevanias, Call of Duties, Splinter Cells, Zeldas, can you make? If you reduce them to the lowest common denominator, they are basically the same game.

Look at Yars, and Asteroids, both space shooters, but completely different.

I've lost my train of thought. Those of you who follow what I am saying cool, if not disregard.

:)

HHHmmmmm...

I wondered when/if someone would say this, as it what I was thinking when I posted it.

But it is consistent with how games come out.

How many different Mario Brothers games are there? How many Metroids, Castlevanias, Call of Duties, Splinter Cells, Zeldas, can you make? If you reduce them to the lowest common denominator, they are basically the same game.

Look at Yars, and Asteroids, both space shooters, but completely different.

I've lost my train of thought. Those of you who follow what I am saying cool, if not disregard.

:)

Hell I'd like to see Night Driver on the 5200 myself! :P (Would be kewl with my 5200 paddle controllers!)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...