IGNORED

Rebuilding Controllers & Trakball

ef330xi

Well, like many of the posts have said, When they claim on eBay that the controllers work perfectly, they're usually lying.

I'm hoping for some feedback on the following:

1) If the price is similar, why would someone purchase a rebuilding kit if they could trade-in their old ones and get a rebuild unit?

2) Has anyone rebuild a trakball? The trakball works, but the number and fire keys are really sad.

2) Do the rebuilding kits for the number keys also work in the trakball?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for somewhat basic questions, but I'm new to this.

Well, like many of the posts have said, When they claim on eBay that the controllers work perfectly, they're usually lying.

1) If the price is similar, why would someone purchase a rebuilding kit if they could trade-in their old ones and get a rebuild unit?

2) Has anyone rebuild a trakball? The trakball works, but the number and fire keys are really sad.

Thanks in advance.

1. The price really isn't similar - trading in controllers for rebuilt ones involves the initial price of the rebuilt controller plus shipping both ways. Some places charge manditory insurance on top of shipping on all purchases, so the shipping really adds up. That is much more than just buying a rebuild kit on eBay or parts anywhere else. Plus some people take satisfaction in fixing their controllers themselves.

2. The trackball is a TOTALLY different animal, some of the internal parts are VERY different. The fire buttons work off of dome switches from a solid circuit board - maybe take it apart and clean the contacts on the board. Same for the number keys, except the number keys assembly is the same part that fits into a 5200 controller (Start pad is also interchangable too). Problems could also be caused by a faulty cable?

3. See #2! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I promised some people I would post a picture of the Digital Joystick Adapter and how it hooks up to the Atari 5200. I finally got that link working and it's now included in the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320089809411

I am pretty sure this digital joystick adapter would work with the Y-adapter of the Wico stick as long as they pass-thru the required pins.

I forget what thread(s) someone asked for a picture but this seemed like a related thread.

I promised some people I would post a picture of the Digital Joystick Adapter and how it hooks up to the Atari 5200. I finally got that link working and it's now included in the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320089809411

I am pretty sure this digital joystick adapter would work with the Y-adapter of the Wico stick as long as they pass-thru the required pins.

I forget what thread(s) someone asked for a picture but this seemed like a related thread.

I'm pimpin' out my cords agian, I'm slutin',whorin', pimpin' out my cords again!!

Fixed it for ya. :roll:

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a working trackball to try with the digital joystick adapter. It may be a cheaper to use Atari 2600/800 trackball than to rebuild the Atari 5200 one.