IGNORED

eprom programmer suggestions?

fueriose

I was wondering what good brands as when it comes to eprom programmers?

I have a willem and it seems I should have done a lot more homework before getting it hahah.

Are Chipmaster programmers good?

I trust the forum members opinion here so I figured it would be a good place to begin asking.

Several of us here are happy with Xeltek programmers (myself included.) They seem to be built like tanks and have supported every chip I've thrown at it. Only problem is they aren't cheap - the bottom-of-the-line unit runs just under $300, and that's a parallel port unit. USB models start at about 2x that price. But you get what you pay for.

Several of us here are happy with Xeltek programmers (myself included.) They seem to be built like tanks and have supported every chip I've thrown at it. Only problem is they aren't cheap - the bottom-of-the-line unit runs just under $300, and that's a parallel port unit. USB models start at about 2x that price. But you get what you pay for.

I'm not so happy with Xeltek. The first version I tried that could supposedly program the PIC 18LF45J10 just plain didn't work. Then the version that could program those parts could no longer program some of the other PICs. Project files are not interchangeable among different versions of the Xeltek programming software, but there's no indication when a project file is loaded into the wrong version, other than the fact that it won't actually program chips.

Back before Microchip started changing programming algorithms with just about every new chip, I used a programmer I built which ran very conveniently from the command line. The only "configuration" file needed was a one-line batch file to run the programmer with the required options. I wonder why more programmers don't do that?

I'm not so happy with Xeltek.

Join the club.

My experience with an Xeltec was nothing but negative. Low quality hardware, worse software and non-existent customer support. Maybe things have improved in the last few years but I would never buy another product from them.

Needham's produces OK programmers, though they seem really overpriced to me these days, considering they all still use simm type inserts you have to change out every time you change devices. Plus when I had my programmer they were gaming this module system so that you had to pay $80-$100 for a $1 PCB to enable your 'universal' programmer to actually program many devices.

Also my EMP-21 failed twice within 6 months, same problem, but they did replace it.

Solid software and responsive tech support, but when I had a serious problem with a PLD algorithm they basically blew me off and just stopped answering e-mails. To their credit they did acknowledge it didn't work, but they never fixed it, at least not before I gave up and sold my programmer.

If you only need to program eproms a used EMP-10 or EMP-11 from eBay will do nicely. I wouldn't pay what they want for a new EMP-100 though, for that you can get a used BP-1200 off eBay.

Steve

I used to have a Needham, pretty sure it was the EMP-10, but the ISA interface card and used DOS-only software was getting a little too clunky. I wanted something that would run on a laptop with a wireless network card, so I needed an LPT or USB unit that used Windows software. The Xeltek Superpro LX has exceeded my expectations. But then again I've not tried to program any PICs.

IIRC, Albert uses a Xeltek programmer, though I could be misremembering. Al?

I used to have a Needham, pretty sure it was the EMP-10, but the ISA interface card and used DOS-only software was getting a little too clunky. I wanted something that would run on a laptop with a wireless network card, so I needed an LPT or USB unit that used Windows software. The Xeltek Superpro LX has exceeded my expectations. But then again I've not tried to program any PICs.

I have a Xeltek Super Pro Z. I think it is the cheapest model they make, I believe. I have only used it to burn eproms and I havent tried burning any pals/gals yet. Not sure if it does any PIC's or not. It hooks through the parallel port but does have windows software. I have a different computer I would like to use it with now that is closest to my work area, but cannot get it to work on that machine. I have played with all kind of bios settings for the parallel port but no luck so I have to keep it on the computer I have always used it on. It has always worked flawlessly on that computer, and still does. I burned all of the beef drop eproms with it.

Yes, I have a Xeltek 280U, it's a USB programmer. I'm quite glad I bought a USB programmer as I'm able to use it on my Macs running Windows through Parallels. :D I've never had any problems with it and the software seems to work well enough. I've programmed a wide variety of EPROMs, PLDs, and PICs with it. My first programmer was an EMP-10, which I still have somewhere. Only DOS software and it uses those clunky SIMMs when you want to change the device type. After that I had a Chipmax programmer (which I needed in order to program PLDs), but unfortunately it mysteriously died one day and I haven't had the time to investigate why (I'm sure it's something simple). So this Xeltek programmer is now my third and I've used it to program literally thousands of devices.

..Al

You guys are being very helpful, I appreciate all the insight.

What about the "Top" line of programmers and "Chipmaster" are any of them good?

I would like something that does Pic as well as eprom etc. Something that is fairly simple to use.

Parallel or usb does not make a difference to me. I think I would be willing to spend up to $300 or so.

Is that a good price range?

If anyone needs only a PIC programmer, I bought the PICstart2 kit from Microchip for $50 which came with

assembler software and a USB programmer board. After adding a $20 ZIF socket was able to program 16F785s (the standard part is 16F690). There was only four signals needed, VDD, VPP, and two SPI.

That's the reason I haven't bought an eprom burner yet, the prices seem outrageous for the actual hw/sw needs.

I have the Batupo (Found here http://www.progshop.com/shop/programmer/BX32P/index.html) which works beatifully. Small, connects with USB, excellent software, inexpensive... and the list just goes on ;-) It won't do PLD's but i have a Xeltek unit for those guys.

/Pw

Edited by PacMan

The EMP-10 was a parallel port programmer. Their ISA card was much older than that.

Yes, I have a Xeltek 280U, it's a USB programmer. I'm quite glad I bought a USB programmer as I'm able to use it on my Macs running Windows through Parallels. :D I've never had any problems with it and the software seems to work well enough. I've programmed a wide variety of EPROMs, PLDs, and PICs with it. My first programmer was an EMP-10, which I still have somewhere. Only DOS software and it uses those clunky SIMMs when you want to change the device type. After that I had a Chipmax programmer (which I needed in order to program PLDs), but unfortunately it mysteriously died one day and I haven't had the time to investigate why (I'm sure it's something simple). So this Xeltek programmer is now my third and I've used it to program literally thousands of devices.

I still haven't been able to get my EMP-31 working under Parallels. I'm going to try re-installing W2K to a new disk image and see if that helps.

Right now I have an EMP-20, an EMP-31, and a CP-1128 all hooked up to my Winderz box. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. For instance, the EMP-20 only has DOS software support and can barely run under W2K, but GAL test vectors work properly with it. And I've had chips that at least one of them didn't support. The CP-1128 will even read old fuse PALs.

As to what to get as a first programmer, I would recommend watching ebay for a BP Microsystems EP-1132, EP-1140, or a CP-1128 if you need GALs more than you need 32-pin EPROMs. You should be able to find one in the $25-$75 if you wait long enough.

What about the "Top" line of programmers

Like I said earlier, they are absolute crap

The software works intermittently and is badly translated from Chinese. When I borrowed a friend's unit, it was the first time I have ever seen the USB power overload warning come up in Windows (scary)

The ChipProg+ has been recommended to me. There's a USB version coming out soon.

Edited by Richard H.

The EMP-10 was a parallel port programmer. Their ISA card was much older than that.

*Looks* You're right, it was a PB-10.

I'm also in the market for an EPROM/PIC programmer. The Willem devices certainly looked good enough on "paper".

Though I haven't done any deep research in to the details of this aspect but they seem to be "open" which has some appeal in terms of longevity and allowing me to create support for future chips if necessary.

On the other hand, in the back of my mind waves a tiny red flag emblazoned with "Cheap Junk - Danger!" And, I'm having an awfully difficult time discerning which device is which model and how many different models actually exist.

What problems have any of y'all had with the Willem units?

Edited by BigO

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also in the market for an EPROM/PIC programmer. The Willem devices certainly looked good enough on "paper".

Though I haven't done any deep research in to the details of this aspect but they seem to be "open" which has some appeal in terms of longevity and allowing me to create support for future chips if necessary.

On the other hand, in the back of my mind waves a tiny red flag emblazoned with "Cheap Junk - Danger!" And, I'm having an awfully difficult time discerning which device is which model and how many different models actually exist.

What problems have any of y'all had with the Willem units?

i have a willem programmer and its been very good for eproms and pic chips ive used so far

• 2 months later...
As to what to get as a first programmer, I would recommend watching ebay for a BP Microsystems EP-1132, EP-1140, or a CP-1128 if you need GALs more than you need 32-pin EPROMs. You should be able to find one in the $25-$75 if you wait long enough.

I've recently seen a couple of those - an EP-1132 and an EP-1140 in different auctions. I hesitated to buy them because I can't find any evidence on the web that they even exist. The manufacturer doesn't seem to acknowledge them at all. I couldn't find a single device in their device list which listed an EP-anything as a supported programmer, and it looks like you have to jump through hoops to get the programming software and have it activated.

Is there a device list for these programmers somewhere? Is the software for them still available, and is it free?

I get good vibes from Elnec's site, but they don't list any support for the CY2292F or CY2907 or the like, which I believe I may use. Anyway, my choices are limited to what I happen to find cheap as I'm not willing to spend much.

Does anybody know what kind of power supply is required for the DataIO Chiplab programmer? Are they reliable? It's unsupported now but the device list looks fine for me, and the software is readily available.

I've recently seen a couple of those - an EP-1132 and an EP-1140 in different auctions. I hesitated to buy them because I can't find any evidence on the web that they even exist. The manufacturer doesn't seem to acknowledge them at all. I couldn't find a single device in their device list which listed an EP-anything as a supported programmer, and it looks like you have to jump through hoops to get the programming software and have it activated.

They haven't sold them for years, which is why you wouldn't see info on their site. But I had no trouble finding it on BP's site, though I did have to free-register with their site first.

Anyone who needs a copy of the BP software can just PM me. I even have a couple of ancient DOS text-mode versions somewhere for those who would prefer that. Way back when, we had some EP-1132 units at a place I worked, and we even used the DOS software without a programmer for its scripting abilities.

I have one of the dual-power willems. I like it a lot, the best part was the price (only $40!). I haven't had any problems with it. I got mine from mcumall. I have been tempted to buy a new programmer because i want support for GALs and PLDs.

They haven't sold them for years, which is why you wouldn't see info on their site. But I had no trouble finding it on BP's site, though I did have to free-register with their site first.

Anyone who needs a copy of the BP software can just PM me. I even have a couple of ancient DOS text-mode versions somewhere for those who would prefer that. Way back when, we had some EP-1132 units at a place I worked, and we even used the DOS software without a programmer for its scripting abilities.

Do you happen to know if the software works with Windows XP or at least with Windows 2000?

I'm happy to hear that about the Willem. I intend to do just some hobbyist stuff like Atari games, PIC programming, and other lightweight low volume stuff so the pricepoint of the Willem is appealing.

Do you happen to know if the software works with Windows XP or at least with Windows 2000?

I went ahead and registered on their site and found that the old software is available to download once you do that. They implied somewhere that you have to get it activated for your programmer, but now I'm not sure that's really true. Unlike every other utility I've downloaded, the BPM utilities actually let you run them without a programmer so you can see how the software works. It looks pretty nice, and "BPWSoft-03" seems to run fine on my Win2k system. They mention Win2k/XP in the description for the BPWSoft utility when you download it. There's another version for Win9x called BPDOS, which refused to install on Win2k.

Unfortunately the BPWSoft utility doesn't support CY2292F chips, for that I'd have to get something supported on the newer utility (BP-1200 at least). I'm curious if BPDOS has the CY2292F, but it won't install on my Win2k machine.

The EP-1132 otherwise looks nice though. I was happy to see it has options in the software to configure sector protection on the 29f002NT flash chips. It might be of interest to you (for 2600) that they have 2532 EPROMs in the supported device list. My car apparently uses that chip as well, but that's a minor point for me.