IGNORED

eprom programmer suggestions?

fueriose

I went ahead and registered on their site and found that the old software is available to download once you do that. They implied somewhere that you have to get it activated for your programmer, but now I'm not sure that's really true. Unlike every other utility I've downloaded, the BPM utilities actually let you run them without a programmer so you can see how the software works. It looks pretty nice, and "BPWSoft-03" seems to run fine on my Win2k system. They mention Win2k/XP in the description for the BPWSoft utility when you download it. There's another version for Win9x called BPDOS, which refused to install on Win2k.

I use mine on W2K as well. And the old scriptable DOS software I was talking about is even older then BPDOS.

Unfortunately the BPWSoft utility doesn't support CY2292F chips, for that I'd have to get something supported on the newer utility (BP-1200 at least). I'm curious if BPDOS has the CY2292F, but it won't install on my Win2k machine.

A "programmable clock generator"? Yeah, that's a pretty specialized chip for a mid-range programmer to support. I doubt my EMP-31 would support that either. You don't need the BP-1200 for that because it's newer, you need it because it has more pin drivers. Mid-range programmers are set up for relatively standard JEDEC pinouts, not random chips that just happen to have programmability.

• 5 months later...

I've got another question on this same topic, so might as well not start a new thread:

I've frequently seen old programmers on ebay which don't have a power adapter. How difficult is it to figure out what they require? I'm looking at a unit right now (Tribal TUP-300) which, according to the seller, has no markings on it to indicate what specs of PSU it needs. Would I be screwed with something like that, or could it be deduced by looking at some chip markings?

I decided the power supply thing probably wouldn't be a big issue. It shouldn't be hard to find a voltage regulator IC in one of these things and figure out what it needs. I tried looking up a couple datasheets for some regulators and the info was pretty straightforward.

Google never turns up much for old programmers, but thanks for mentioning groups - I'm not in the habit of using that and it turned up more info. From reading there I decided the unit I was looking at probably requires an ISA interface adapter, and it's not included so I'll pass on that one.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone vouch for this?

http://www.miranda.org/~jkominek/hardware/eeprom/

Since I have $15 to go to make my minimum on my Digi-key order, I think I'll try building it. It looks like it would work, but it would probably be slooooow.

Just note that it says EEPROM programmer and not EPROM programmer

Good catch! This looks like a similar tool for EPROM (2764 to 27040):

http://www.larwe.com/zws/products/epromr2/index.html

and here's one for 27C801 / 27C080 - exactly what I need:

http://www.mikeg2.freeserve.co.uk/eprom/eprom.html

also Linux code, and a modification to cut the programming time down to 2 minutes instead of 20:

http://outflux.net/software/pkgs/EPROM/

Edited by Hornpipe2

Just note that it says EEPROM programmer and not EPROM programmer

That's why this programmer's so simple. EEPROMS don't need any special programming voltages. They're expensive, though.

On the other hand, in the companies I've worked so far they throw away the EPROMs and the burners/erasers because they aren't much used anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the dual-powered Willem myself. The biggest problem with these is the manual. Took me three or four days to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Only done a few 'test runs' recently (had the thing a couple of years) and seemed to burn the EPROMs I tried okay. Haven't used the burned EPROMs for anything, though.

Thats whats makeing me hesitate getting the thing, if the manual is junk then its going to be hard to do anything productive, its supsosed to be a clone of the Willem programmer i wonder if useing the manual for a Willem programmer might help....

Edited by wogihao

Manufacturers just regurgitate the Willem manual. When the original manual sucks, you're going to have problems whichever Willem you choose.

If you have problems, feel free to PM me any questions. Having said that, one AA member gave up on his Willem as he couldn't get it to work properly on his machine. So yes, they do work but being based on what is effectively an open source kit means that QA isn't necessarily the best.

That AA member was probably me :D Wish I had saved myself all the headaches!

I bought one of these http://www.progshop.com/shop/programmer/BX...programmer.html

and have not burned a bad chip yet :D

The Willams is sitting on my desk, anyone can have it for postage if you want to have a gamble. I know that some people are happy with them, and for the money, even a 50% success rate would be acceptable

Only done a few 'test runs' recently (had the thing a couple of years) and seemed to burn the EPROMs I tried okay. Haven't used the burned EPROMs for anything, though.

The ones that I burned verified ok, but would not work on a real cart (26/52/7800 tried) but when I burned the same rom files with my Batupo, they worked fine

That AA member was probably me :D Wish I had saved myself all the headaches!

I bought one of these http://www.progshop.com/shop/programmer/BX...programmer.html

and have not burned a bad chip yet :D

The Willams is sitting on my desk, anyone can have it for postage if you want to have a gamble. I know that some people are happy with them, and for the money, even a 50% success rate would be acceptable

The ones that I burned verified ok, but would not work on a real cart (26/52/7800 tried) but when I burned the same rom files with my Batupo, they worked fine

Yeah, you get what you pay for... Seems that everyone has trouble with those Willems. Personally I had to spend even more than you, as I needed a burner that supported PLDs.

Manufacturers just regurgitate the Willem manual. When the original manual sucks, you're going to have problems whichever Willem you choose.

If you have problems, feel free to PM me any questions. Having said that, one AA member gave up on his Willem as he couldn't get it to work properly on his machine. So yes, they do work but being based on what is effectively an open source kit means that QA isn't necessarily the best.

ah right, that dosent bode well :ponder: ah well its all part of the fun i supose nothing forces you to learn faster than a crummy bit of kit. :) i would like to get one of the nice programers that was linked, it does look the busness - now i know what to ask for my birthday.

I keep recommending against the Willem in favor of buying a better programmer used, but people still buy Willems and have problems with them.

here is the ebay search I use

The models I recommend if you get one used:

* EMP-20 - works with W2K (probably XP too) but only in full-screen (ALT-ENTER) mode with a special driver

* EMP-30/31/300 - pricey but deluxe, takes chip modules, 31/300 have USB but I haven't gotten it to work in emulation with Parallels Desktop

* EP-1132/1140 - doesn't support GAL chips or CPUs

* CP-1128 - only supports 28-pin chips, but programs GALs (no CPUs, I'm sure)

Note that these all require a PC with a real (not PCI) parallel port, and all of them work with Win2K, and all support GALs/CPUs except the EMP-20. All of them except for the EMP-3x should be available from $50-$75 if you are patient.

With the Needhams EMP units, make sure you get all the configuration sticks. The EMP-20 comes with three, and the EMP-3x comes with the whole set. You will need other sticks for the EMP-20 to support CPUs. I got an EMP-20 cheap with no sticks, so I splurged and ordered the whole set for like $200. For instance, there's an EMP-20 on ebay right now, but it only shows the 01 stick (for most EPROMs), so you should ask the seller if you don't see them in the photo.

(FYI don't insert EPROM chips backwards into an EP/CP programmer, as it tends to fry the chip.)

• 4 years later...
I've recently seen a couple of those - an EP-1132 and an EP-1140 in different auctions. I hesitated to buy them because I can't find any evidence on the web that they even exist. The manufacturer doesn't seem to acknowledge them at all. I couldn't find a single device in their device list which listed an EP-anything as a supported programmer, and it looks like you have to jump through hoops to get the programming software and have it activated.

They haven't sold them for years, which is why you wouldn't see info on their site. But I had no trouble finding it on BP's site, though I did have to free-register with their site first.

Anyone who needs a copy of the BP software can just PM me. I even have a couple of ancient DOS text-mode versions somewhere for those who would prefer that. Way back when, we had some EP-1132 units at a place I worked, and we even used the DOS software without a programmer for its scripting abilities.

I am in need :)

• 3 weeks later...

i bought one of those cheap willam parallel port naked programmers last year to bring back a "suicided CPS2" game. I erased and burned the eeproms of all the chips I needed with no problems. I also frequently use it to burn Neo geo bios's as well as update my sga naomi bios. I did try and burn a starfox 2 eeprom once and ran into voltage problems. I use an external Power adaptor to be safe, however I still have problems with erasing and writing to this certain type of eeprom. I forget the exact model number but i can look up the details if you request.

Other than that, I am pleased with the 50 dollars I spent. I would have spent that much on shipping the dead roms out to iceland and back to be reprogrammed by RAZ