IGNORED

Proof that classics will always remain classic

Pengwin

:D does he know that the console he is using has less power than a micro wave or your tv set? ;)

Without trying to sound picky, he's not using a console, its the 800XL in the picture :P

But since he normally plays on a playstation 2 or my wifes dual core PC, I think its a great testament to the longevity of these games that he actually asks me to put them on for him.

my friends kids came round after school two weeks ago as their mum was out.

Jack age 12 saw my 800xl and asked to play on it.

He was saving for a Play station 3, but decided that the 800XL was far cooler.

He has since bought an XL, and borrowed some carts from me. His mates all think it is really cool.

He has even started to learn BASIC

and my 4 year old daughter loves "dot man" :love:

He has since bought an XL, and borrowed some carts from me. His mates all think it is really cool.

I rest my case, classics will always be classics. Whilst the PS2, Wii and XBox 360 can deliver some amazing titles, I truly believe that the eighties were the best years for games. Yes, we had our fair share of crap, but that was outweighed by the innovation of the era.

(btw: I am slighty inebriated)

Edited by Pengwin

I rest my case, classics will always be classics. Whilst the PS2, Wii and XBox 360 can deliver some amazing titles, I truly believe that the eighties were the best years for games. Yes, we had our fair share of crap, but that was outweighed by the innovation of the era.

(btw: I am slighty inebriated)

Yes, the 80s gaming was the best IMO, okay so the sound was mono, and the graphix were basic, but the game play made up for all of that.

The problem with todays systems is too much time and effort is put into the graphix and what seems to me very little into the actual game play.

(btw: Lucky you :woozy: )

Edited by mimo

not trying to sound too old, I personally think that that a lot of game developers today concentrate too much on the look of the games. 20 years ago, we didn't really have that luxury, so the gameplay was the most important thing. Let's face it, halflife 2 looks a damn sight better than Asteroids, but I know which one I keep going back to.

(still pished, pouring another glass of Merlot :D )

:D does he know that the console he is using has less power than a micro wave or your tv set? ;)

Without trying to sound picky, he's not using a console, its the 800XL in the picture :P

An 800XL is a console. A console is a computer device you interface directly with (normally via a keyboard)

Oddly enough, it's not considered a Videogame console, which is really an odd irony since that's all most folks do with them.

i ment to say "console" because all youngsters do know "PC" or "console" but i am not sure if they know even today that there are more than "one PC". i am not sure if they know apple as alternative already... ;)

as i am using/coding/playing 800xl/130xe now for more than 20 years... of course i realised that its a pretty 800xl he was playing... ;)

An 800XL is a console. A console is a computer device you interface directly with (normally via a keyboard)

Oddly enough, it's not considered a Videogame console, which is really an odd irony since that's all most folks do with them.

i ment to say "console" because all youngsters do know "PC" or "console" but i am not sure if they know even today that there are more than "one PC". i am not sure if they know apple as alternative already... ;)

as i am using/coding/playing 800xl/130xe now for more than 20 years... of course i realised that its a pretty 800xl he was playing... ;)

Sorry if I sounded slightly argumentative guys, I had just polished off a bottle and a half of merlot. :)

I've never considered the 800XL as a console. To me, a console is a computer without a keyboard (eg: 2600, PS2, etc). I guess it's all a matter of interpretation.

(btw: seriously hungover now :( )

I think and 800XL would look like a pretty cool console if you imagine it without the keyboard (but obviously the silver keys down the side still remaing in place, you at least need a reset and start button on a console)

Someone should do a photoshop pic.

Edited by Ross PK