IGNORED

How much is an 800 brand new worth?

ijor

Not really enough info there to tell if it's new or just new-looking.

Funny story - my wife went out to look at yard sales one summer day and I told her to come back with something for me. She came back with a new in the box Commodore 64 she'd bought for $2.

I've got my doubts.

Same with all these "shrink wrapped" games you tend to come across.

Yes, you never know. Sealed doesn't mean unused, and unused doesn't mean sealed.

I purchased two sealed/brand new games from two known sellers (that will remain unnamed) that they were in fact used. In brand new condition, but not unused. And several cases from unknown Ebay sellers.

As a matter of fact, many (perhaps most) of the vintage software never came factory sealed. Sometimes they were sealed at the store back on the day. But many others were sealed many years later.

I've got my doubts.

Same with all these "shrink wrapped" games you tend to come across.

Yes, you never know. Sealed doesn't mean unused, and unused doesn't mean sealed.

I purchased two sealed/brand new games from two known sellers (that will remain unnamed) that they were in fact used. In brand new condition, but not unused. And several cases from unknown Ebay sellers.

As a matter of fact, many (perhaps most) of the vintage software never came factory sealed. Sometimes they were sealed at the store back on the day. But many others were sealed many years later.

Yeah,tell me about it,ive been accused of bullshitting when ive said ive found certain rare games shrink wrapped,thats how i found them,i cant recall which games were factory shrink wrapped or not!,it would be great if there was a guide listing games that were FACTORY shrinkwrapped,but thats no guarantee either,theres some pretty good counterfeit shrinkwrappers out there!Some collectors shrink wrap their boxed games to preserve them also,and from what i heard,VERY easy to duplicate,like it was done at factory,thus,sellers passing em off as brand new never opened,BEWARE!

Edited by Rik

I have an 800 in the box, meh!

I actually get greater joy when I get an Atari 8-bit computer that is all hacked up and modded.

But I guess for some there is the mystique of opening a computer that is barely used and having it take you back to when they were first made. I can see that too. :) That one on ebay DID look pretty nice and clean.

$290? Hmmm, I think I would have instead bought:

A MyIde solution $29?

A Ide to compact flash solution $20

SIO2PC cable and register the APE software $60?

800 XL/130 XE $40

Break out box AV solution $25

Speedier Module (19.2K buad) $25

Video monitor $30 (if you don't know where to look)

Get someone to upgrade my 8-bit... $50?

Brings us to $279.. and many of those quotes were placer higher than needed, but I still have a more useful and fun system than a Atari computer in the box. :)

I have an 800 in the box, meh!

I actually get greater joy when I get an Atari 8-bit computer that is all hacked up and modded.

But I guess for some there is the mystique of opening a computer that is barely used and having it take you back to when they were first made. I can see that too. :) That one on ebay DID look pretty nice and clean.

$290? Hmmm, I think I would have instead bought:

A MyIde solution $29?

A Ide to compact flash solution $20

SIO2PC cable and register the APE software $60?

800 XL/130 XE $40

Break out box AV solution $25

Speedier Module (19.2K buad) $25

Video monitor $30 (if you don't know where to look)

Get someone to upgrade my 8-bit... $50?

Brings us to $279.. and many of those quotes were placer higher than needed, but I still have a more useful and fun system than a Atari computer in the box. :)

You forgot one thing Doctorclu:

One monster 8bit.......priceless :)

I got burned on EBAY as the buyer poorly packaged the ATARI 800 and I got it in pieces and there was no insurance available so that money was wasted but I did salvage alot of parts though for the 800 I got from another EBAY seller and it is in great shape.

Edited by LYNXGUY

I got burned on EBAY as the buyer poorly packaged the ATARI 800 and I got it in pieces and there was no insurance available so that money was wasted but I did salvage alot of parts though for the 800 I got from another EBAY seller and it is in great shape.

I hate it when that happens.

I had a problem with the postal service recently. I bought a CD from ebay, but when it arrived, it was obvious that the packaging had been cut. Needless to say the CD was missing. I am currently trying to claim from Royal Mail for the item.