IGNORED

Wizard of Wor for the 5200.The same as the 2600 version?

jboypacman

• 4 weeks later...
The 5200 version is definitely better. And as Paranoid noted, much more enjoyable without the 5200 stock controllers. Then again what isn't? :lol:

However, if you want the best version of Wizard of Wor, then the Bally Astrocade beats them all! :D

Indeed! The Incredible Wizard is awsome considering it was done with 4k ram, most of which is the screen.

Astrocade Muncher is pretty sweet too. The 2600/5200 of WOW are still pretty good considering.

In my opinion, the C-64 translation is best. The hi-res characters are beautiful to look at, and the "whacked out" sound definitely adds to the atmosphere. Commodore released the port, so the programmers definitely knew a thing or two about the machine they were working on.

The Atari 8-bit version is excellent in its own right. The Atari 2600 version doesn't disappoint either, and really all it needs is some additional dungeon playfields to be as great as the other ports.

Far as I know, the 5200 version is identical to the 8-bit computer version.

Then it's an excellent translation of the arcade machine.

You know, I used to think that too... then I finally played Wizard of Wor on a real 5200 after twenty years. Now I'm not so sure. The resolution is chunky and the colors don't jump out at you like they do in the older Astrocade version. To top it all off, the Wico stick that works so well with other games is a bust on Wizard of Wor. I dunno... maybe I'll be able to better appreciate the game once I get the S-Video mod in the mail and I finish that Genesis controller adapter.