IGNORED

Got Dark Chambers today.

jboypacman

Looks like a slower, more monotonous version of Gauntlet.

I didn't mind it back in the day, but (like Gauntlet, IMO), it got dull after a while. It needed an ending too.

As a side note, this is often called a "Gauntlet Ripoff", but both Dark Chambers and Gauntlet are actually derivatives of "Dandy".

http://www.mameworld.net/maws/romset/gauntlet

Hopefully someday someone will find the real Atari 7800 version of Gauntlet that was done by Hewson in the late 1980s.

Looks like a slower, more monotonous version of Gauntlet.

I'd say that is a very acurate description. Worst part is the enemy's changing into each other as they take beats to reflect how many hits they take it kill. They could have at least made the enemy routines unique.

I've always liked Dark Chambers, even the 2600 version.

If you really want to see how it all started, find a copy of John Palevich's "Dandy Dungeon's" It was an APX (Atari Program Exchange) title and its where Gauntlet came from. John would later consult for Atari and assisted in Dark Chambers, you should find his name copywrited on the cart and manual.

Dandy was an Atari 800 title.

Curt

Well gang i got a loose copy of Dark Chambers for the 7800 today in the mail(Thanks Mock :) ). I must say what i have played of it so far i really like.Decent graphics and sounds and just fun to play. Anyone else enjoy this game or am i the only one?

I don't mind it once in a while. It DOES need an ending though. Would have been cool if it were like Adventure.

Like you had to find some magical doodad and escape with it.

It does end.

Try it out. I like the game.

-Lee

I don't mind it once in a while. It DOES need an ending though. Would have been cool if it were like Adventure.

It does end.

-Lee

when you die?

or do you have to go though the alphabet 4 times or something?

i got bored and quit playing at the 2nd W level

if there is an ending maybe that should be mentioned in the Did You Know? section of the game listing

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...wareLabelID=682

It does end.

-Lee

when you die?

or do you have to go though the alphabet 4 times or something?

i got bored and quit playing at the 2nd W level

if there is an ending maybe that should be mentioned in the Did You Know? section of the game listing

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...wareLabelID=682

It ends when you go through all the levels. I can't remember how many. My son and I played through it once. It was a blast. I'm not sure if the 2600 version has an ending or not, but the 7800 certainly did.

Maybe I'll pull it out a play again.

-Lee

It ends when you go through all the levels. I can't remember how many. My son and I played through it once. It was a blast. I'm not sure if the 2600 version has an ending or not, but the 7800 certainly did.

Hmmm

I'm not sure that it does. Maybe it has one on the higher difficulty setting? I played through the whole alphabet in my teens and it repeated. I remember being bummed. No ending, it just started over.

RAMPAGE and XENOPHOBE did the same thing. Pissed me off.

i just checked Cousin Vinnies site to see if its mentioned in his review and this is all it says

http://flipsiderunner.com/7800/darkchambersr.html

Overall: Dark Chambers isn't by any means a bad idea, but the lack of challenge and motivation destroy this game in my eyes...well, my eye and then in my glass eye. Anyway, this game is fun for a laugh or two, and you should at least play it to get to level Y and Z...that is a pretty cool experience. But when the level name goes from Z to AA... a sinking feeling hits me like I cannot explain. I feel about as small as a Who in Whoville...(remember 'The Grinch that Stole Christmas?'...they were all on a snowflake). Anyway, you just realize that you haven't accomplished a darn thing. So, again I'll say..."What's the point?"

does it end when you max out the score?

well i guess it would, as cousin vinnie said whats the point :D

my high score is somewhere around 300,000 i have it written down somewhere

and if i had recorded it i could take 2nd place at twin galaxies :D

i just checked Cousin Vinnies site to see if its mentioned in his review and this is all it says

http://flipsiderunner.com/7800/darkchambersr.html

Overall: Dark Chambers isn't by any means a bad idea, but the lack of challenge and motivation destroy this game in my eyes...well, my eye and then in my glass eye. Anyway, this game is fun for a laugh or two, and you should at least play it to get to level Y and Z...that is a pretty cool experience. But when the level name goes from Z to AA... a sinking feeling hits me like I cannot explain. I feel about as small as a Who in Whoville...(remember 'The Grinch that Stole Christmas?'...they were all on a snowflake). Anyway, you just realize that you haven't accomplished a darn thing. So, again I'll say..."What's the point?"

does it end when you max out the score?

well i guess it would, as cousin vinnie said whats the point :D

my high score is somewhere around 300,000 i have it written down somewhere

and if i had recorded it i could take 2nd place at twin galaxies :D

My memory is fading. I guess it just started over when you finished the last level. I probably assumed I was done then.

-Lee

• 4 weeks later...

I have the XE's Dark Chambers its fun and I get my Gauntlet fix form it :D The XL/XE's Gauntlet that's on disk is just bad. :mad:

Did they ever release Dark Chambers on cart for the XE?

Edited by Foxsolo2000