IGNORED

Got Dark Chambers today.

jboypacman

I can't believe the designer went to MIT. I originally wanted to go there, but with game design becoming big now, you just need the time and devotion to learn how to do it.

Personally, once I finish learning DarkBASIC, I'm considering a remake of Dandy or Dark Chambers.

Also, has anyone had any trouble detonating bombs manually? When I push the right button, all my character does is shoot or nothing. Mind you this is emulation, but I'm wondering if it's a bug in the game or something?

I can't believe the designer went to MIT. I originally wanted to go there, but with game design becoming big now, you just need the time and devotion to learn how to do it.

Personally, once I finish learning DarkBASIC, I'm considering a remake of Dandy or Dark Chambers.

Also, has anyone had any trouble detonating bombs manually? When I push the right button, all my character does is shoot or nothing. Mind you this is emulation, but I'm wondering if it's a bug in the game or something?

It works fine on my 7800.

well i'm definetly one to bash the 7800 any chance I get because I truely despise the system...BUT, Dark Chambers is a very fun game. Yes the stick sucks, but the game is still a very good game. I was very suprised when I fired it up and found out that other than Commando, there is another enjoyable game for the 7800. Dark Chambers is a no brainer, if you don't have it, BUY IT NOW, you won't be disappointed.

Does anyone remember a Gauntlet-like game for DOS that had bigger monsters, etc? I remember playing it on my Tandy 1000HX in the early 1990s. I think the game came from England, and had quite a slower framerate. All I remember was the game format was just like Gauntlet, but many less monsters on-screen due to their size.

I liked Gauntlet at the arcades.

The home versions got me kinda bored fast.

I agree.

I've always thought the reason was simple: there's nothing at stake at home.

Gauntlet was a classic money pit. You got a couple or three other people and you just kept pumping quarters in to see how far you can get before your cash flow gives out. Same with SmashTV.

At home, you can just keep continuing indefinitely. So what's the point?

Just my two cents.

I'm thinking that what has always been lacking for the 7800 system, is four-player games. I believe an adapter could be created, to allow two CX40 joysticks to deliver various voltage divisions of the 5 volts sent to the paddle controllers, which plugged in two to a port, allowing for four-player joystick games. The trouble is, it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg scenario in that such a game would have to be programmed with the four-player joysticks in mind, and then the four-player joystick adapters would have to exist to allow for development of the game.

I'm not sure if what made Gauntlet more fun, was that you were trying to stay alive on as few quarters as possible, or if it was the cooperative competition dynamic of three players, with different attributes of speed, strength and magic. I always thought the arcade version of Rampage was more fun with three monsters tearing up the town at the same time too...

Does anyone remember a Gauntlet-like game for DOS that had bigger monsters, etc? I remember playing it on my Tandy 1000HX in the early 1990s. I think the game came from England, and had quite a slower framerate. All I remember was the game format was just like Gauntlet, but many less monsters on-screen due to their size.

Number munchers? :D

-John

I'm not sure if what made Gauntlet more fun, was that you were trying to stay alive on as few quarters as possible, or if it was the cooperative competition dynamic of three players, with different attributes of speed, strength and magic. I always thought the arcade version of Rampage was more fun with three monsters tearing up the town at the same time too...

I think you're right. The different characters added more depth to the game.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one 7800 game that could use some nice hack-induced enhancements. Maybe a boss or two, an official ending, music, maybe different weapon types or at least different kinds of enemies, puzzles and I like the idea that was aforementioned of having to get some magical object to carry out of the dungeon, ala Adventure.

This is one 7800 game that could use some nice hack-induced enhancements. Maybe a boss or two, an official ending, music, maybe different weapon types or at least different kinds of enemies, puzzles and I like the idea that was aforementioned of having to get some magical object to carry out of the dungeon, ala Adventure.

Man, that's almost enough to motivate me to learn to program. It'd seem, to my very limited knowledge, to be a game that could be improved easily. For one thing, the enemies morphing into each other thing could be taken away if possible, because it's silly and detracts from te game where it shouldn't. Also, the layout of Z could be changed to be extremely maze like, with a couple extra objects you have to get, and only a handful of really hard to kill enemies called Minitaurs or something (you could pallate swap a ghoul or something). Then just make the game end after Z with a congratulations screen. That'd be enough to get me to buy a copy, and I already have the first one. If someone was really good they could add in a pallate swap of your character as an enemy in later levels, complete with random firing).