IGNORED

can 5200 controllers be self-centered?

beyondoasis

I had limited success installing rubber bands inside a stick. It made the stick very tight, which helped, but it does not center itself. When using that stick, I can feel the center position as the stick moves through it. I've also found that the rubber boots have a similar effect, but they do not tighten the stick up like mine is.

After a while, though, you kind of "learn" where the center position is, and once that happened to me, my hands just kind of centered the stick on its own.

I had limited success installing rubber bands inside a stick. It made the stick very tight, which helped, but it does not center itself. When using that stick, I can feel the center position as the stick moves through it. I've also found that the rubber boots have a similar effect, but they do not tighten the stick up like mine is.

After a while, though, you kind of "learn" where the center position is, and once that happened to me, my hands just kind of centered the stick on its own.

I find that also. I seem to always centre the stick myself without even thinking about it when playing 5200.

I find that also. I seem to always centre the stick myself without even thinking about it when playing 5200.

I actually got in that habit on ALL sticks. Between a SNES stick that doesn't bounce all the way back and several sticks that overshoot when they bounce back, there's just no point to letting the self-centering mechanisms do the work.

I've had limited success using conical springs I got from super cheap grade Z N64 controller thumbsticks. The main problem is that they only work on sticks without the boot. You place the spring on the shaft underneath the knob. Of course you have to yank the knob off first. The thinner part of the cone sits under the knob, the wider part on the stick body. Here's a silly picture to illustrate it but imagine there's no boot in the picture. It would actually work great if I could find a spring that fit a little better. It's not like I can manufacture the right size in basement.

post-1401-1173391102_thumb.jpg

Edited by joeybastard

I think I may have some busted first party N64 controllers, and my 5200 sticks don't have the boots on them.

Give it a try then. The spring is in the analog thumbstick of the N64 controller. On the cheapies I had it was like 2 screws holding it in place. The hardest part is yanking the knob off of the 5200 stick but use a pair of vice grips to hold the metal shaft and just pull hard with your other hand. It goes back on pretty easily.

Actually, it's probably possible to "screw" the spring onto the shaft. I have to look and see if the N64 pad I've got has a loose stick or not. I'm not sure if I want to open up a good stick, especially since I plan to swap it into one of those blue pads.