IGNORED

Got my first couple of Activions games today (controller rant included)...

shadow460

I got River Raid and Keystone Kapers. I have played Megamania on the 5200 as well, but I don't have a copy. I am going to keep some comments to myself...

The stock controller sucks for River Raid. Half the time when I first started out, I crashed instantly, and I hate that. :mad:

Man, I'm seeing that the 5200 is just so different from any other system I have.

So anyway, what's the best controller for River Raid? And how do I keep its label on?

Also, how do I keep the cartridge alive--I've heard that the boards die in those Activision things.

Edited by shadow460

I got River Raid and Keystone Kapers. I have played Megamania on the 5200 as well, but I don't have a copy. I am going to keep some comments to myself...

The stock controller sucks for River Raid. Half the time when I first started out, I crashed instantly, and I hate that. :mad:

Man, I'm seeing that the 5200 is just so different from any other system I have.

So anyway, what's the best controller for River Raid? And how do I keep its label on?

Also, how do I keep the cartridge alive--I've heard that the boards die in those Activision things.

It's not that the boards die... Something doesn't make contact right. I've taken the boards out and hot glued them back in place at a slight angle and they've worked fine for years now.

Although it is cool, in theory, that the 5200 River Raid has analog control -- you can move very slowly left/right or full speed left/right by pressing the stick farther away from center -- unless you have a perfectly synched stick with tight rubber in the middle, its too easy to hit the canyon walls.

I use a converter and a Genesis 6-button pad.

As already mentioned the Wico Competition Pro is the best. Digital control via microswitches.

I love Keystone Kapers on the VCS but I've heard that all the 5200 version has that is different is they added more to the background and that was all.

Too bad, that game deserves a good update or sequel.

Alex DeMeo made it so that the planes and carts come at you from both directions. He added music and a level select feature as well.

Also, at what point does River Raid end? I've heard the VCS cart ends after 80 something bridges, and since this seems to be a direct port, I'd bet this one ends at some point, too.

Does anyone know if Carol Shaw ported the game herself or if someone else did?