IGNORED

Action! Programming...

dwhyte

Is it possible to set memory origin with Action!? For both variables and code?

Ahh it would have been nice to finish that computer science degree... a pc action! cross-compiler would have been nice for that compiler course...

Edited by dwhyte

Is it possible to set memory origin with Action!? For both variables and code?

Ahh it would have been nice to finish that computer science degree... a pc action! cross-compiler would have been nice for that compiler course...

Hi dwhyte, I hope you check mentioned thread and the use of SET command. I am looking forward for your idea about PC Action! cross-compiler. But I think it would take more time to finish such a project, to polish it and make it work the way all Action! freaks want it. PC cross-compiler should, for one thing, take advantage of using unlimited or fixed max number of global variables, new integrated routines and procedures, etc.

I actually started to work on an Action compiler for the PC written in C# but never got to far on it. I used the Gold Parser Generator to create the parser, but I really got stuck on the code generation side of things.

I studied some of the machine code that the Action compiler generated and it's pretty amazing how optimized it's code generation was. For example it would put 0 in the Y register for one instruction, then a dozen instructions later it would need a 1 in the Y register so instead of loading 1 into Y it would increment Y which saves a couple bytes of memory and a couple machine cycles.

Dan

• 1 month later...
I actually started to work on an Action compiler for the PC written in C# but never got to far on it. I used the Gold Parser Generator to create the parser, but I really got stuck on the code generation side of things.

I studied some of the machine code that the Action compiler generated and it's pretty amazing how optimized it's code generation was. For example it would put 0 in the Y register for one instruction, then a dozen instructions later it would need a 1 in the Y register so instead of loading 1 into Y it would increment Y which saves a couple bytes of memory and a couple machine cycles.

Dan

It would be great project. If you, anybody else, or even me start such a thing, we have to make first to-do/wish list of features, needed for cross-compiler for Action! / PL/65.

My wish list:

- fully compatible compiler for native source code of Action! / PL/65 language

- unlimited global variables and functions (PROC, FUNC) (of course, in this case, we have consider free space of other parts of the program)

- smart-linker (automatically left out an unnecessary code)

- integrated floating point support

- integrated player/missile support

That is for now!

Edited by Gury