IGNORED

Just got WINTER GAMES

Rik

Hi,i just recieved WINTER GAMES for my 7800 yesterday,decent little game,the thing that has me puzzled is that on the top right corner of box,it says"SUPER GAME CARTRIDGE",those carts had extra memory or an improved sound chip in them?which was it?cus the opening ceremony music in this game blows.Other 7800 games that have"super game cartridge"on box have GREAT MUSIC"BALLBLAZER",did the "SUPER"carts have better graphics or music,or both?.Also what do you guys think of WINTER GAMES?.Thanx

Edited by Rik

What do I think about it? Decent sport titles are few and far between on the 7800, but this one fits the bill. Bobsled is great. Ski Jump is weird but fun. Speed skating is ugly and BLAH. Biatholon is hard, but rewarding once you get it. It should be the last event.

I miss the award ceremonies at the end, however. The fact that it was omitted quite frankly sucks.

The only better sports game on the 7800 is Basketbrawl

Funkmaster V

The whole "Super Game" thing was really just a stupid marketing term for games that had bigger memory than the first 7800 games. All of the "Super Games" save for Ballblazer all had typical graphics and sound for the 7800. Atari dropped the "Super Game" thing around 1988 and eventually some of the later games surpassed the "Super Games" in memory capacity.

Hi,i just recieved WINTER GAMES for my 7800 yesterday,decent little game,the thing that has me puzzled is that on the top right corner of box,it says"SUPER GAME CARTRIDGE",those carts had extra memory or an improved sound chip in them?which was it?cus the opening ceremony music in this game blows.Other 7800 games that have"super game cartridge"on box have GREAT MUSIC"BALLBLAZER",did the "SUPER"carts have better graphics or music,or both?.Also what do you guys think of WINTER GAMES?.Thanx

I liked WINTER GAMES generally, though didn't get the SKATING stuff.

"Super Games" were basically marketing hooey that was generally (though inconsistently) used to describe computer ports that were on the 7800.

They marketed them as "Super Cartridges", hinting that their magical size (which wasn't magical) made it possible to previously have disk based computer games running on a computer cartridge.

They aren't really technically any different from other 7800 carts. Most of them are 32K or 48K, which isn't anything special. One of them (Ball Blazer) has a sound chip. A few of them contain additional RAM memory.

Commando (which also has a POKEY sound chip) is not a "Super Game"

Alien Brigade and Crossbow are larger than the largest "Super Game" branded titles and are not marked as such.

A number of games, including JINKS and TOWER TOPPLER have additional RAM memory and are not marked as SUPER GAMES either.

In short, marketing hooey. :-)

What do I think about it? Decent sport titles are few and far between on the 7800, but this one fits the bill. Bobsled is great. Ski Jump is weird but fun. Speed skating is ugly and BLAH. Biatholon is hard, but rewarding once you get it. It should be the last event.

I miss the award ceremonies at the end, however. The fact that it was omitted quite frankly sucks.

Funkmaster V

What do you mean omitted?are you implying there was a podium where the bronze silver and gold winners stood on?like the real OLYMPICS?,mine just has a blue screen with the medal winners posted in white letters,were there podium ceromonies on the original WINTER GAMES CARTS?

Funkmaster V

What do you mean omitted?are you implying there was a podium where the bronze silver and gold winners stood on?like the real OLYMPICS?,mine just has a blue screen with the medal winners posted in white letters,were there podium ceromonies on the original WINTER GAMES CARTS?

No. What I mean is that even the 2600 versions of these games would have the overall medal count standings at the end of all of the events if you and a few buddies labored through the game together so you could see who did the best. Wasn't much to look at, but I always dug it.

Vinnie

• 3 weeks later...

Okay,now ive got SUMMER GAMES,just got it yesterday factory sealed.I like it alot better than WINTER GAMES,but WINTER is still decent though,now if i only had 3-4 others to play the games with,all my friends are into x-box, wii or whatever!

It was a good looking game. But I didn't like how it only had 4 events. Isn't there 8 events in Winter Games overall?

Winter games has 4 events,SUMMER games has 6,the high diving is cool!