IGNORED

Lazer/USD Homebrews

Algie

Went rooting through the loft and found some homebrew LAZER/USD 1050 drive upgrades. Also found a lot of the necessary chips to build more. If I put a few of these together is anybody interested? They provide 3 modes of operation via the switch; Happy, US Doubler or ordinary 1050. I may also do some reconditioned drives with them ready fitted. I am UK based but the chips should post worldwide cheaply.

Algie

post-12514-1174870238_thumb.jpg

if my £8 evil bay 1050 works (waiting for a disc to try it) then will be interested.

I had this mod back in the day, but couldnt remember the name of it.

Any idea of cost, and what is required to fit it?

>> is anybody interested?

Algie

Count me in! I have a Lazer from way back when but it stopped working a year or two ago. Swapped in several working drive mechs but to no avail. I think it might be the firmware. Another Lazer would be great and also help confirm the prognosis of the original...

Any other goodies stashed away in the loft?!

Went rooting through the loft and found some homebrew LAZER/USD 1050 drive upgrades. Also found a lot of the necessary chips to build more. If I put a few of these together is anybody interested? They provide 3 modes of operation via the switch; Happy, US Doubler or ordinary 1050. I may also do some reconditioned drives with them ready fitted. I am UK based but the chips should post worldwide cheaply.

Algie

post-12514-1174870238_thumb.jpg

I've always used stock 1050 drives. When you say Happy/USD and 1050 do you mean it's all included in the upgrade, or would i already have to have Happy and USD onboard? Also how hard are these to install? I only have one 1050 and don't want to toast it :)

Algie...Long time no hear...are you still based near west hampstead...could be int. just needing to get my mits on a couple of working 1050's

Hi Carmel,

Nice to hear from you. I am in the East End now. I have a couple of spare 1050's. They will be getting upgrades and on evil bay soon.

Algie

If you still have the old Lazer it may be repairable. Could also send you replacement ROM and Processor to get back to a standard 1050.

Other goodies found in the loft were; various pulled Atari chips, my Eprom burner and a couple of SpartaDos disks covered in ROM images for things like Omnimon XL, Ultimon, and Cupid. Also a lot of original disk software which is now safely away from the frost.

Count me in! I have a Lazer from way back when but it stopped working a year or two ago. Swapped in several working drive mechs but to no avail. I think it might be the firmware. Another Lazer would be great and also help confirm the prognosis of the original...

Any other goodies stashed away in the loft?!

The ROM contains all 3 operating systems and you select with the switch before turning on the drive. This is a lot easier than running software to make the drive UNHAPPY (Some software will refuse to run if it detects these drives so you just flick the switch to 1050 native or USD mode).

The install is about as complex as a US Doubler upgrade. You need to open the drive, remove the metal screening and then replace 2 of the onboard chips with the upgrade. The chips are socketed so you will not need to solder these. You may have to move 2 wire jumpers on the circuit board which are soldered but that is it. Atari produced 2 different ROMs with slightly different pinouts. If the jumpers are in the wrong position you will lose native 1050 mode until you move them. LAZER and USD will still function. Lastly you will need to drill a small hole in the front face for the switch. If you are in UK I could install it for you...

Algie

post-12514-1174963518_thumb.jpg

I've always used stock 1050 drives. When you say Happy/USD and 1050 do you mean it's all included in the upgrade, or would i already have to have Happy and USD onboard? Also how hard are these to install? I only have one 1050 and don't want to toast it :)

I am going to base the cost on how much it will cost to replace the bits from cheap online sources and recycling and then you buy me a pint. On a good day I can find the bits for about £12 so lets say £17 including P,P&P (Postage, packing & Pint)

Fitting is very akin to the US Doubler plus you drill a small whole for the switch. I will include full instructions.

if my £8 evil bay 1050 works (waiting for a disc to try it) then will be interested.

I had this mod back in the day, but couldnt remember the name of it.

Any idea of cost, and what is required to fit it?

The ROM contains all 3 operating systems and you select with the switch before turning on the drive. This is a lot easier than running software to make the drive UNHAPPY (Some software will refuse to run if it detects these drives so you just flick the switch to 1050 native or USD mode).

The install is about as complex as a US Doubler upgrade. You need to open the drive, remove the metal screening and then replace 2 of the onboard chips with the upgrade. The chips are socketed so you will not need to solder these. You may have to move 2 wire jumpers on the circuit board which are soldered but that is it. Atari produced 2 different ROMs with slightly different pinouts. If the jumpers are in the wrong position you will lose native 1050 mode until you move them. LAZER and USD will still function. Lastly you will need to drill a small hole in the front face for the switch. If you are in UK I could install it for you...

Algie

post-12514-1174963518_thumb.jpg

Sounds fairly easy :) I'm in the US so the exchange rate might make it a little more than I might want to pay, but I'll wait and see :)

Thanks for your info...

there is a slight prob (if mem. recalls) when using lazer/usd (or happy) with transdisk from page 6/digicomm (or any other 1050 mod)

The problem arises when you are trying to make a new menu (incl. format)

If you have a normal 1050 (unmodd'd) transdisk will allow you to format in 1050 density and also single densityand create a menu in that density, if you have a modd'd 1050 you will only be able to format and create transdisk menu's in single and double (256 byte sectors) density and not 1050 density

btw algie i have a 130xe with 3 o/s's and the normal xe o/s, do you have a 3 o/s chip (omnimon, warpspeed and ultimon) that has updated versions of omnimon (pref. xe version) and warpspeed (or even better, ultraspeed plus) as well as the xe version of ultimon

Edited by carmel_andrews

You live and learn. I have not had problems formating to enhanced density and there is no double density available with the switch in native postion. That's the advantage of the switch. With a HAPPY drive you have to run software to make it UNHAPPY but the LAZER has a switch.

10 Minute later.... I have just tried Transdisk IV with a LAZER in 1050 mode and it formats to 1050 Enhanced automatically. In HAPPY or USD modes you get double density. Did not find a single density option.

I may have the Quad OS you mention or I could make one. I have a couple of Quad chips but I have forgotten which 4 OSs are on them. I have images of the most upgrade OSs but no instructions :(

Algie

there is a slight prob (if mem. recalls) when using lazer/usd (or happy) with transdisk from page 6/digicomm (or any other 1050 mod)

If you have a normal 1050 (unmodd'd) transdisk will allow you to format in 1050 density and also single densityand create a menu in that density, if you have a modd'd 1050 you will only be able to format and create transdisk menu's in single and double (256 byte sectors) density and not 1050 density

btw algie i have a 130xe with 3 o/s's and the normal xe o/s, do you have a 3 o/s chip (omnimon, warpspeed and ultimon) that has updated versions of omnimon (pref. xe version) and warpspeed (or even better, ultraspeed plus) as well as the xe version of ultimon

You live and learn. I have not had problems formating to enhanced density and there is no double density available with the switch in native postion. That's the advantage of the switch. With a HAPPY drive you have to run software to make it UNHAPPY but the LAZER has a switch.

10 Minute later.... I have just tried Transdisk IV with a LAZER in 1050 mode and it formats to 1050 Enhanced automatically. In HAPPY or USD modes you get double density. Did not find a single density option.

I may have the Quad OS you mention or I could make one. I have a couple of Quad chips but I have forgotten which 4 OSs are on them. I have images of the most upgrade OSs but no instructions :(

Algie

Send me a PM with what 3rd party o/s's (including triples or combo's) you have....might be interested in upgrading one of the stock xe's i have

do you do mem. upgrades that used the STe simms

You must have a different version of transdisk 4 to what i have (i bought mine direct from digicomm)

Do you have the infamous 32 in one o/s chip...that might be kind of interesting to have

also looking for (once i've got my mits on a couple of 1050's) a 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 pc to atari interface cable (like sio2pc and ape/pro sys all in one) there used to be a website about them years ago

Might be int. (at a later stage) at something like myide or similar european internal harddrive upgrade (must be able to use 3.5 inch devices as well)

Just for interest, I have done a parts search on Jameco and my estimated cost is spot on. A lot less fuss than searching through UK sites and hoping you find stuff so I may order from them if I end up building several. So the U.S. of A. cost will be $35 inc P, P & P (Postage, packing and a pint for my trouble). :)

Algie

Sounds fairly easy :) I'm in the US so the exchange rate might make it a little more than I might want to pay, but I'll wait and see :)

Thanks for your info...

Just for interest, I have done a parts search on Jameco and my estimated cost is spot on. A lot less fuss than searching through UK sites and hoping you find stuff so I may order from them if I end up building several. So the U.S. of A. cost will be $35 inc P, P & P (Postage, packing and a pint for my trouble). :)

Algie

Thanks for your info...

$35 including shipping, that's not bad... I'll definitely keep that in mind and keep an eye out on this thread for progress :)

• 4 weeks later...

That's pretty slick!

Hey Algie.. did you do the Write protect switch as well? Do you have a wiring diagram that you used?

Mine works, but my LED only lights up when I put it into write only mode. nothing in normal (it should change when it detects a notch) I wonder if I wired mine wrong..

-Spicy

EDIT:

Gee Um, helps if I wire it right. HAHA :roll:

It's fixed now..

Edited by SpicyChronos

How hard would it be to add a 2-digit 7-segment track number display to the 1050, like the Indus GT has?

And/or... some way to display the density of the current disk? The Indus shows A B C for single, double, enhanced... but 3 different colored LEDs would be just as effective for a 1050 mod (assuming the 1050 was already modded to support DD... otherwise only 2 LEDs would be needed).

Probably the drive's onboard ROM would have to be modified, to include code that drives the LEDs...?

Looking at my bezel-less 1050, it looks like there's plenty of space for mounting a couple of 7-segment LEDs.

I don't know if it's practical or not, just throwing out ideas...