IGNORED

packing for Ebay auctions

RangerG

I have several Ebay auctions going this week (three complete systems and a KidVid). I will be selling a boxed 5200 and a boxed Intellivision. I usually put peanuts in a box and put the items in and send them off; however, the 5200 box is huge. I'm thinking of double wrapping the boxes in bubble wrap and then wrapping them in that thick brown wrapping paper. I had a boxed 5200 sent to me once just in that brown paper. It arrived safely, but I thought the sender was cheap and that the box could easily have been messed up. What do you think? If you got a near mint boxed system in bubble wrap and paper, would you think it was packaged well or should I go with the old big box route?

Don't just wrap in bubble wrap, then paper. This isn't secure enough IMHO, and I've sold over 800 things on eBay. I would definately double box it, especially since the condition of the atari box is a selling point for the bidder.

Tad

I've received enough things from Ebay auctions and different vendors to definately know when something has been packed well. I received a nice digital camera last week that was in a big box with 2 of those 'air bags', but nothing else to protect it, which I thought was very poor packing.

I always pack something so that it it well protected and so that the buyer will see that I took some time to make sure the item arrived safely. It takes a little extra time and maybe a little extra money but it's sure worth it in the long run. JMHO....

It depends how you're shipping... some shippers won't accept items that are just wrapped in brown paper. UPS, for example, requires a box. I think the Postal Service is less strict on that, but it is still a bit dicey to ship something like this that way.

It depends how you're shipping... some shippers won't accept items that are just wrapped in brown paper. UPS, for example, requires a box. I think the Postal Service is less strict on that, but it is still a bit dicey to ship something like this that way.

Two days ago when I shipped a package at the Post Office I saw someone shipping a box wrapped in brown paper. The clerk didn't even blink, so I don't think they have a problem with it at all. You're right about UPS, though, I've seen them reject packages wrapped in the same fashion. I assume it's because the paper tears easily when going through all their automated equipment, probably causing no end of problems.

When I've run eBay auctions, I also ensure that the items I'm selling are packaged very well. For most smaller items I just use the free Priority Mail boxes, as that is how most of my auctions are shipped. For loose carts and other small items, I offer the purchaser the option of going with a padded envelope (much cheaper) or Priority Mail. Most people go with Priority, but many will also opt for the envelope since these days it's probably around $2.50 less than the Priority Mail option. And I always use new padded envelopes, as you can buy them in bulk pretty inexpensively from companies that sell shipping supplies (*not* places like Office Max or Office Depot). You can also get large rolls of bubble wrap and huge bags of packing peanuts inexpensively from the same sources.

In the case of the 5200, I would definitely find a larger box. You can always find a larger box and then cut it down to size so it's not obscenely large. I personally would be upset if someone sent me a box with a layer of bubble wrap and an outer layer of brown paper.

..Al

Thanks for the replies. I will double box everything. The stuff is all in great shape, so it deserves to be boxed. What are the names of shipping supply places? I sell on Ebay just as a hobby, but it is often systems so I use boxes and they are so expensive (not to mention the prices on peanuts and bubble wrap) at Office Depot/Staples.

What are the names of shipping supply places? I sell on Ebay just as a hobby, but it is often systems so I use boxes and they are so expensive (not to mention the prices on peanuts and bubble wrap) at Office Depot/Staples.

Well, I've bought shipping supplies from a company here in Texas called Pack-Mark. You'll probably have to find a company locally, although I imagine any reasonably sized city will have places like this. It's definitely worth the effort if you've been buying packaging materials at expensive office supply stores. I also highly recommend staying away from places like Mail Boxes Etc., as they are extremely expensive.

..Al

I work in an office where we receive boxes from Staples almost daily, so I have my pick of many sizes that are normally thrown out anyway. We also get PC equipment and I've kept some of those boxes for bigger items too. Needless to say, foam peanuts and bubble wrap are pretty plentiful aroound here too, so my office looks like a mini pack-and-send shop!

I have won items that were "professionally" packed, and had to pay extra for that privilege. That sucks, but that's how some people do it. They pay a place $25 to box and wrap an item and then stick me with the bill. If you have to buy your special supplies, I guess you should charge your buyer to recoup your costs.

Now with the Priority Mail increase on Monday, shipping just got even MORE complicated.

I have won items that were "professionally" packed, and had to pay extra for that privilege.  That sucks, but that's how some people do it.  They pay a place $25 to box and wrap an item and then stick me with the bill.  If you have to buy your special supplies, I guess you should charge your buyer to recoup your costs.

When I ship items with a padded envelope, I pass along the cost of the new envelope (which I think is around 50 cents) to the winner. This, along with first-class shipping, turns out to be significantly cheaper than Priority Mail. With Prioirty Mail I only charge the cost of Priority Mail, since you can get as many boxes (in different sizes) as you'd like from the postal srevice at no cost. I don't nick anyone for the internal packing material I use (I generally buy peanuts and bubble wrap in bulk, so the cost per package is relatively small). I always clearly state my shipping policy and prices in any auctions I run so there is no confusion after the auction ends.

Now with the Priority Mail increase on Monday, shipping just got even MORE complicated.

Yeah, no kidding. It's disheartening to see Priority Mail rising in price so quickly.

..Al

Yeah, no kidding.  It's disheartening to see Priority Mail rising in price so quickly.  

..Al

Not only the price, but the zone based structure is really going to wreak havoc. Today, a small package up to 4 pounds (90% of items I sell) can be sent to the next state or across country for the same cost. On Monday, the cost will be based on how far from me you live, and the variation in a two pound package is from $3.95 to $5.75. Three pounds from $4.75 to $8.55. 4 pounds from $5.30 to $10.35!! It just adds another layer of confusion in there.