IGNORED

Restoration of our 8 bits

IndusGT

Most are using the primer gray for the XE but the original color looks to be a beige/sand color. Wish we had more options in the plastic paints. Same with the XL series. Most are using flat or satin white but it looks to be an off white originally. And I have still to find the charcoal brown color for the XL.

Most are using the primer gray for the XE but the original color looks to be a beige/sand color. Wish we had more options in the plastic paints. Same with the XL series. Most are using flat or satin white but it looks to be an off white originally. And I have still to find the charcoal brown color for the XL.

Yes that's pretty much it, the grey primer looks good but is not an "exact" match, it's a slightly off grey (for want of a better description). The primer I use is an American brand called Plasti-Kote and the type is 1148 Grey primer.

Here's a photo of the XE and 1050 with it's XE paint job taken today :D

I still have the "Atari 1050" name strip to put back onto the drive.. I've not decided yet whether to paint the bezel too

post-4724-1176763518_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tezz

Yes that's pretty much it, the grey primer looks good but is not an "exact" match, it's a slightly off grey (for want of a better description). The primer I use is an American brand called Plasti-Kote and the type is 1148 Grey primer.

Here's a photo of the XE and 1050 with it's XE paint job taken today :D

I still have the "Atari 1050" name strip to put back onto the drive.. I've not decided yet whether to paint the bezel too

It must be the photo, as it distinctly looks lightish blue to me ;) I've never seen an XE or 1050 in this color, but it doesn't look bad either.

I've been tempted in the recent past to use a spraycan of metallic car paint of a similar color on a spare PDA. The paint was left over after I had sold the car, and the PDA had some scores from use, mainly from clamping it into a carkit holder. I thought the real girly color would make it a cool gift for a GF. I did resist the temptation however, as I could not easily remove the screen and touchscreen from the front casing and didn't want to risk breaking a connector or the like. :D

re-atari

I've been tempted in the recent past to use a spraycan of metallic car paint of a similar color on a spare PDA. The paint was left over after I had sold the car, and the PDA had some scores from use, mainly from clamping it into a carkit holder. I thought the real girly color would make it a cool gift for a GF. I did resist the temptation however, as I could not easily remove the screen and touchscreen from the front casing and didn't want to risk breaking a connector or the like. :D

No chance of using masking tape on the PDA?

No chance of using masking tape on the PDA?

I didn't dare. It was 'old school' type metallic paint based on solvents that are not in use anymore due to environmental issues. I think it was thinner based. That stuff either attacks the plastic of the masking tape or it dissolves the glue and subsequently creeps underneath the tape. If you subsequently try to wipe it off with a cloth dipped in thinner, chances are the screen will be matted out, as this is quite aggressive stuff.

Besides that, my father has already used it up completely to paint some rust spots on the inside of the metal sheet side of his swimming pool :D . I might have a go with a small brush and enamel paint that is used for model aircraft, but I don't think I can get the flat surfaces painted nice and smooth that way.

Just a question: since a week or so I have an Amiga 500 with keys that are badly discolored from sunlight. I have soaked them in water and washing-up liquid and got the dirt removed, but of course the 'suntan' stayed. Do you have any suggestions how I can get rid of this (if it's possible alltogether)? Obviously, painting the keys won't do if you want to read the keycaps afterwards ;)

re-atari

Edited by re-atari

not possible, the plastic is attacked by UV light and yellows it, it is non reversible.

Unfortunately yes this is the case with UV damage. I've read some funny advice/suggestions elseware such as putting uv discoloured plastic into a dishwasher and using a stong type of tablet :?: I very much doubt that that would make any significant difference and of course that would only be useful for computer casings, the lettering on the keys would suffer from any sort of drastic measure like that. As much as I understand, the UV attacks the surface of the plastic causing the discolourisation. On plastic casings where keeping the original surface texture intact is not an issue, you can use very fine wire wool to take the damaged surface down to the good surface. Most people don't like that option because it's not properly restoring as it destroys the surface.... I have found that soaking the plastic in very hot water and houshold bleech does reduce it to a degree but really the only option is to replace or paint. in the case of keyboards replacements are the only option.. I'll be painting my Amiga1200 Tower next, probably all in black.

I was surprised at how discoloured my original 130XE was when I got it from storage last week. I was stored in the house and out of the light, when it was set-up and in use, it had a light proof dust cover put on it at the end of the day. I guess once the UV light has been on the surface the chemical change in the plastic continues regardless.

The off white on the XL series is basically cream, although in certain lighting mine has started to look a little yellow now.

• 4 weeks later...

Just go an 800XL back from the grave, bad RAM everywhere, Thanks to all the good advice in these forums, I plucked up the courage to buy a soldering iron.

De-solder, socket and fit new RAM took a little over an hour, and the XL came back to life first time!

So thanks to everyone that has posted help and advice.

Now where did I put that dead 400?