IGNORED

GameCubing With Rogmeister - GameCube Reviews By Me

RSS Bot

I'm starting a little project in which I'm going to play each of my GameCube games one by one and do a review of each. I'm no professional reviewer, of course, so this is just for fun. I may go through long stretches where I do a review every day...then I may slow down from time to time. Some games I've played a lot, some not so much...or not at all. I have been buying a lot of games lately so many will indeed be completely new to me. At first I was going to do it strictly alphabetically but I've now decided to just review whatever I feel like. So today I decided to start with an arcade compilation...

B000A2GX2C.01-A3O4XUIPWQ2IWK._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1. Namco Museum: 50th Anniversary (Yes, I'm going to number these reviews so we see how far I am into my collection as we go along.)

Publisher: Namco

Rating: E10+ (Suitable for anyone 10 years old and up)

Memory Requirement: 4 blocks

First of all, Namco has not been making video games for 50 years...that industry started in the 1970's. Namco started back in 1955 and their first product were children's rocking horses. They eventually got into other products...eventually including video games.

This game is actually comprised of over a dozen different games, a compilation of old games that appeared in game arcades in the 70s and 80s. The ones I've played so far...

Pac-Man--I like this game though a GameCube controller isn't the best for this game. I'm sure most of you know how to play this...eat the dates and avoid the ghosts until you can eat the power pills that make them vulnerable.

Pacmania--A 3D version of Pac-Man, this has to be unlocked by reaching certain scores in Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man. In this one, Pac-Man can actually jump which helps him out...he can often jump right over a ghost about to get him.

Ms. Pac-Man--Many like this even better than the original Pac-Man. One reason is it has 4 different mazes whereas Pac-Man has just one. I never liked the 2nd maze...it's just too hard.

Galaga--A space shooter that was a sequel to Galaxian (also in this game) where you're fighting enemies that look like multi-colored insects. This is one of the few games I scored over 100,000 points in the arcade. At one point you can link two ships together for double the firepower. This disc also includes a sequel which, like Pacmania, has to be unlocked.

Dig Dug--In this, you create your own maze, digging underground while dealing with dragons and other enemies. I once scored 490,000 points on the arcade version, the most I ever scored on an arcade machine.

Rally-X--This is a racing game where you have to drive around and collect flags while avoiding a handful of other cars that try to smash into you. It's simple but challenging and fun.

Sky Kid--This is a game I don't remember ever playing until now...you are flying a plane who has to shoot down other planes and pick up a bomb and drop it onto an enemy ship out over the ocean.

Mappy--This is one of my all-time favorites. You control Mappy, a police mouse, who is in a department store where various cats are out to get you. To clear a stage, you have to capture the gifts in the store before the cats can get you.

Other games on the disc, which I haven't got to yet, include Galaxian, Pole Position and Pole Position II (a racing game and its sequel), Xevious (an overhead shooter), Bosconian (space shooter), Dragon Spirit and Rolling Thunder (an action spy game). The rules on all of these games are pretty simple and most are fun though there's a few I'm not crazy about but others may like. Most only require the use of the joystick (thumbstick on a GameCube controller) and one, sometimes two, buttons. This game is also available for the Xbox and PS2...and the PC...and the Game Boy Advance...and...

Roger's Rating: B+

Special Note: For the time being, this blog will be primarily involved with my GameCube reviews, so I've changed the title of my blog here to reflect this.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=3116