IGNORED

Tunnel Runner Update!

The MindMaster

About 20 years or so ago, I was the first to successfully navigate all 127 runs in Tunnel Runner and recorded it on VHS. After watching the tape, which I haven't seen in 15 years, the game doesn't glitch out and end at Run 127 as has been previously documented by Digital Press and others, but does so after completing Run 129! How or why I never noticed this before is beyond me. OOPSY! The score rolls after 99,999, and I was able to roll it five times ( Runs- 57, 84, 104, 117 and 129). Total score 511,440. The following screenshots show Run 0 = Run 100, Run R0 = 110, Run U0 = 120 and Run U9 = 129. The two screenshots with red and yellow, shows how the game glitches after finishing Run 129. :)

That's fantastic.

My favorite Atari Game.

I played a few weeks ago for the first time in a long time.

What the hell are the doors with the weird symbols next to them?

I think I used to know, but have forgotten.

If anyone would know, I think you might.

The door with the strange symbols is a bonus point area. While facing the door bonus points are added to the score for a few seconds. If you look in another direction or move away slightly, the bonus ends, so try to make sure no Zots are in the area before facing the door for maximum bonus points.

So what does the game do when it glitches (I can't really tell from those pictures)? I assume it does something that makes it unplayable.

I've actually found the programmer for Tunnel Runner before, but I've heard that he doesn't really want to be bothered about his past games so I never bothered to contact him before. It's a shame, because I know a whole bunch of people who would like to tell him that his game rocked!

Tempest

I bet it's just clock cycles running out and the game not knowing what the hell to do next :lol:

Probably more like a variable overflowing and the game not knowing how to handle it. I assume that each level is made by an algorithm (since they couldn't store data for all the levels in that tiny cart), and once you get to level 130 it overflows something that causes the algorithm to break. Funny, I would have thought something like that would happen at 128, not 130.

Tempest

I bet it's just clock cycles running out and the game not knowing what the hell to do next :lol:

Probably more like a variable overflowing and the game not knowing how to handle it. I assume that each level is made by an algorithm (since they couldn't store data for all the levels in that tiny cart), and once you get to level 130 it overflows something that causes the algorithm to break. Funny, I would have thought something like that would happen at 128, not 130.

Tempest

Tomatoes, Tamatoes, none the less the game takes a fart :rolling:

About 20 years or so ago, I was the first to successfully navigate all 127 runs in Tunnel Runner and recorded it on VHS. After watching the tape, which I haven't seen in 15 years, the game doesn't glitch out and end at Run 127 as has been previously documented by Digital Press and others, but does so after completing Run 129! How or why I never noticed this before is beyond me. OOPSY! The score rolls after 99,999, and I was able to roll it five times ( Runs- 57, 84, 104, 117 and 129). Total score 511,440. The following screenshots show Run 0 = Run 100, Run R0 = 110, Run U0 = 120 and Run U9 = 129. The two screenshots with red and yellow, shows how the game glitches after finishing Run 129. :)

Nice work! Around Run 48 the walls go completely black and you can't see the doors anymore. Does it stay that way or does the color come back?

Cheers!

Killscreens can occur for a variety of reasons. Toyshop Trouble will killscreen when the table which indicates how many different toys a level should contain runs off the end and hits a zero. The code doesn't crash, but it won't dispense any more toys, so unless the player uses the "clear screen" cheat the game will end after 99 seconds.

In games involving constrained random puzzle generation where the puzzles get progressively harder, it's not uncommon for puzzle generation to reach an impasse. If that's what happens here, it's possible that on the variations with random mazes the killscreen may not always occur on the same level. Since I doubt level 127 has been cleared very many times, the claims about the level 127 crash may have been based on incomplete data.

Funny, I would have thought something like that would happen at 128, not 130.

Tempest

I imagine the Run counter is counting from zero. So Run 1 = count 0, Run 2 = count 1, Run 3 = count 2 ... Run 129 = count 128 which is not a surprising number for a failure as you know because bit 7 changes from 0 to 1.

The dark runs are: 40-45, 58-63, 77-82, 94-99, 112-117 and 130. The game actually glitches at Run 131. after reviewing again, I exited Run 129 using the double door which sends you ahead 2 runs instead of one. You can see Run 131 for a split second before the game glitches out. When it does glitch it just keeps on scrolling through these screens-

post-12675-1175581306_thumb.jpg

post-12675-1175581330_thumb.jpg

post-12675-1175581340_thumb.jpg

post-12675-1175581355_thumb.jpg

That's pretty cool man! I'm terrible at the game myself, but I haven't really played it that much. It was one of those games that got lost in a big 20+ cart score that i just popped in once or twice. Think I'll give it a go this weekend.

Pretty cool you were able to correct digipress from vintage VCR tape to boot! You ought to youtube that tape sometime.

Edited by Lord Thag

This is the same Tunnel Runner tape that was documented by Digital Press. Although I dont think Joe Santulli (I've known Joe for over 15 years now) actually saw the tape, I sent it to Al Backiel who verified it and copied it I believe. I think Al shared info with Joe, not 100% sure on that. For some reason the glitch run was documented as 127. The tape actually shows it as 131. Now, I'm a gaming sob, but not well versed in all of todays technology. So how do I go about taking the VHS tape and putting it on Youtube or some other way of sharing this great tape with all of you over the web?

I imagine the Run counter is counting from zero. So Run 1 = count 0, Run 2 = count 1, Run 3 = count 2 ... Run 129 = count 128 which is not a surprising number for a failure as you know because bit 7 changes from 0 to 1.

Ahh... You're probably right.

These show up for a split second at the start of various runs. Runs 26, 97, and 115 are shown. Dont know if they are of any significance-

Looks like random glitches to me. Probably a misplaced graphics pointer or something.

Tempest

Wow! That's very impressive! How long did it take you to do that? What's the final counter at when you stop the tape?

Me personally, I might have gotten to run 7 or 8. I do like the game a lot! Great job with the 3D look and the first person scenario, for that time.

It always spooked me when I'd play alone, though...especially when a Zot just got into range. You couldn't see him, but you could hear him...getting closer and closer. Then you realize your trapped. All you can do is sit there and wait for him to get ya (unless you knew about the secret warp trick.) Freaky!

:)

I always thought that game would be a lot better with some sort of weapon. I don`t like having to run from the bad guys all the time.

Just what I was thinking, too. :cool:

It's still a kick-ass game, though.

I wonder if the game could be hacked to include a weapon. Maybe you could find a spear or something, good enough to off one Zot per level. That would rock! MUHAHAHAHAAAAAA!