IGNORED

High score compo 5200

JagFan422

Well, the 8bit has one also :P

Lack of interest in the past - the 7800 one has gone through starts and stops as well.

If we are playing agame in the 8bit HSC that is available on the 5200 I will accept scores from those as well.

ok, didn't know that so i will keep my eye on the 8-bit compos then.

Yeah, I run the 7800 one in seasons. When I began my first season with it last year, Goochman pretty much explained that due to the small library, it can't be sustained year round.

Interest drops during the summer anyway. I thought of trying to handle a 5200 competition as well, but I decided against it for a few reasons:

1. Small library. See the 7800 comments above.

2. I didn't want to interfere with the 8-bit competition.

3. Probably the most important, I simply don't have that many 5200 games.

I feel like the person who runs the competition needs access to as many of the actual games and as much actual hardware as possible. They'd need to make recommendations for strategy and controllers, and I can't do that with my meager stack of 17 carts. On the other hand, I have most of the carts from the 7800 library, and many of those are CIB. I can look at the boxes and instructions for ideas on how to set up the competition each week.

Another tip, start with homebrews. We started the 7800 comeptition with Beef Drop, and IMO, it was a very successful week.

Rarity plays a factor in participation. Bounty Bob Strikes Back is a great game, but very few people who would be interested in a competition actually have the cart. I ran into this with Mean 18 Ultimate Golf last year. The same applies for rare hardware--if the game needs special hardware, participation will drop. Given the cost of a Wico stick, hardware might pose a greater problem in a 5200 competition than it does for the 7800.

Still, if you want to start one up, go for it. It's a lot of fun to see people improve, then get competitive, then improve some more, and then share their thoughts about the game. It's quite a challenge to beat their scores, too, and it definitely makes the person running the competition into a better (insert system name here) player all around.

emulators would not be allowed only because i think it would be to easy to take a screen shot and photo shop a bogus score.

I allow emus to keep participation up - if there is nothing on the line but pride then I would suggest allowing emu's.

I think there has only been 1 case of 'fraud' detected during the 2600 Olympic challenge a few yers back, otherwise everyone is just having fun ;)

emulators would not be allowed only because i think it would be to easy to take a screen shot and photo shop a bogus score.

I think you might rethink that. All of the other HSCs allow emulators because there are alot of games that very few people have. If you only allow real hardware, you aren't going to get much response. Many people don't even post screen shots of their scores at all. I wouldn't worry about cheaters. After all, its just for fun :)

Edited by Lord Helmet

If it's not played at the very least with actual 5200 controllers, be they originals, the Wico or a Competition Pro, all which pretty much require a 5200 console, then the score isn't legitimate. If you go the EMU route, we might as well be playing the Atari 800.

Edited by Gunstarhero

IMHO, as long as the 5200 console is the unit being played, it's fair game.

Another thing against EMU is that they allow save states, which is definitely unfair.

Save states are not allowed in any of the HSCs - play by the honor system - the 8bit one has been alot of fun and Ive played new games Ive never seen before.

Easy way to learn more about the system you love to play - thats how Id view vs competiton ;)

Yes, but there are several unreleased games that are very good that shouldn't be left out...like Millipede and Super Pac-Man. Not a problem for those of us with the usb cart, but others might want to play as well.

Also, the 5200 wasn't released overseas, which will limit this HSC to mostly Americans.

Either way, I'll participate :cool:

ok ok. Here's what i'm thinking.

1. trust. though I would love to have all high scores posted with screen shots. If you are unable to do this, then no big deal, the scoring will be based upon the honor system.

2. emu or no emu. I think it should truely be dependent upon the game. For example, If I chose Spy Hunter, then yes i would bet most people would need to use an emu where as I do not, or people with the multi-cart will not. All in all, I'm thinking emu will be allowed.

3. controller, I don't care about that, because if I participated in the 2600 compo i'd use a Genesis pad. So i don't care what controller is actually used.

4. most importantly, there must be trash talking.